Learn from patients with pain similar to yours

CatchMyPain Community and Pain Diary App to manage chronic illness

Advice

May 31, 2016 5:18 PM

So for the past 3 years I have had chronic pain to my neck,left shoulder pain,left shoulder blade, pain to front of chest when the blade area gets bad. Headaches,dizzy,naucia, fatigue, weakness in arms and legs. I have had Brian MRIs to rule out MS, I have had blood work to rule out Audio Immune diseases. Last month I had a Cervical and Thoracic Spine MRI done and do have some degeneration forming at C2-5 and T 5-6. I just don't know what is going on. This is becoming debilitating. No meds seem to help. I would love it if anyone could give me some advice or left me know if you suffer from this pain and what was the diagnosis. Thanks Melissa

May 31, 2016 6:38 PM

Mel1972, I've had disc issues (Ddd, OA, facet & foramina stenosis), and have had 2 surgeries on my neck in the 90's. I now have issues with various discs throughout my spine. Currently the most worrisome is at C2, C3 & C7. I've been complaining of upper neck, scapular & arm pain for awhile and other docs blew me off saying it was my DDD or OA. My new orthopedist did an x-ray and MRI, and I have major facet & foramen stenosis at C2 & C7, which are collapsing& slipping forwards. But C3 is slipping backwards into the spinal canal (retrolisthesis), and if it damages the spinal cord it could affect every body function from the shoulders down. I'm looking at surgery on all three areas, with back of the neck entry. The pain from my neck to my jaw and up to each ear, where the skull base and neck meet, hurts constantly, some days worse than others. And then the neck to scapular pain radiates forward to the front of the chest& shoulders. I've gone through more voltaren gel (massage in) in 6 months than I had in 3 years. We are hoping surgery will provide relief. I try relaxation also because being tense causes more pain. And warm showers are a must for the OA & fibromyalgia stiffness. I do gentle stretches throughout the day, gently turning my head out looking up & down, holding to a count of 5, rest, repeat. As it gets easier I increase the repetitions. I learned the moves in PT and gained more mobility as a result. I hope that something I've said is helpful. I'm recuperating from surgery and getting tired and foggy headed, so I'm not sure how it sounds. Sending hugs & prayers you can find ways to cope better with your pain as your doc find ways to reduce your pain! 🙂💕🙏🌼

May 31, 2016 8:41 PM

Thanks Flappyslady81. I seen an Ortho Spine Surgeon and he wanted me to go the route of Cervical Epidural, next is Facet Injections then an ablation. Not sure if surgery is an option at this point. So do you get dizzy and anxiety when the pain is up. I am crappy from the minute I am up till bed. Maybe 1 day aknth I have a good day. I have a lot of popping in the shoulder blade area not sure if that is muscle spasms? Is the shoulder issues because of the bad disc?

May 31, 2016 10:32 PM

Might be muscular in your shoulders. Have you tried any alternatives like massage, acupuncture, or physio? I have a lot if the same symptoms and they told me it is fibromyalgia. Taking magnesium malate and potassium has helped with my muscle cramps.

Jun 01, 2016 8:18 AM

Mel, I don't get dizzy from my neck, but I have an issue with my 8th cranial nerve that causes dizziness. Anxiety I have battled on & off since childhood. I take the magnesium & potassium supplements and have less cramps all over. The doc said the popping n my shoulder is from ligaments/tendons being to tight, sliding across other tissue or bones. My neck discs are causing sharp shooting pain from behind my ears to the shoulder blades. I've had lots of surgeries in 35 years, and I try any alternative before doing any surgery suggested. The only thing I will not do is a implanted pain simulator. I scar badly internally. Try some of the suggestions Gotobef made. She's who told me about the vitamin supplements.👍 Hugs & prayers you will get treatment to give you many more good days! 🙂💕🙏🌼

Jun 02, 2016 4:11 PM

Will do and hope you stay well also.🙏😊❤🌸

Ready to start relieving your pain?

Join Community