Learn from patients with pain similar to yours

CatchMyPain Community and Pain Diary App to manage chronic illness

Advice needed

Oct 21, 2016 7:52 AM

Hi
How do I go about getting a diagnosis for fibromyalgia? Especially when doctors are fobbing me off!
And is it important to?

Oct 21, 2016 8:00 AM

Keep going, be persistent or try a different doctors. Keep asking to be tested eventually there'll be a doctor who will listen and refer you for testing.
I don't have fibromialga myself but I have been in your situation where doctors and dentists kept fobbing me off and some even questioned wherever I was making it up!!! I've suffered with TMD for most of my adult life but it wasn't diagnosed till I was in my late 20s. Then I developed trigeminal neuralgia nearly 2 years ago and again I had to keep going back to the doctors and the pain was soo bad that at one point I had an ambulance out to me at least once a week for the 2 months leading up to being admitted to hospital that it was actually diagnosed after about 4 or 5 months!

Oct 21, 2016 8:02 AM

Thank you
I have been very persistent, keep going to various doctors for a number of symptoms over many many years. Only now am I starting to think things are all related. I feel like a hyperchondriac wanting a label but at least to me it then validates it.

Oct 21, 2016 8:11 AM

I know how you feel, if you have a diagnosis then you know and can at least get some treatments for the symptoms and understand why you've been feeling the way you have.
Maybe should complete a diary like the one on here with all your symptoms and how you've been feeling along with some research on fibromialga to take to the doctors with you and keep asking for a referral to be tested?
I've found that a lot of GP's don't really cover or know a lot of the symptoms for illnesses they don't normally come across.

Sending you {{{BIG GENTLE LOVING HUGS}}} XX

Oct 21, 2016 8:18 AM

Yes thank you so much. I am using this app. Think another trip to see them another day is in order as I took all research went with specific questions and an open mind to needing to change my lifestyle already to my appointment today and the Gp, for one to another word, was shit. Said few things, completely ignored when I said fibromyalgia, and when went to show her bruises said well we're running out of time so don't worry!
Grrrrr... Meds and back to bed for a bit I think.

Oct 21, 2016 9:21 AM

It's like hitting your head off a brick wall. I wish there was a way to make it all better.
I have you in my prayers that you do get a doctor who will listen and help you xx

Ready to start relieving your pain?

Join Community