Learn from patients with pain similar to yours

CatchMyPain Community and Pain Diary App to manage chronic illness

Anxiety

Jun 22, 2015 3:18 PM

Hi guys.
Just going through a lot of things medically right now(MRSA/HS, chronic back pain caused by MVA, keratoconus, breast lump, etc). Is there any way that I can combat the near constant anxiety that I'm feeling in relation to some of these appointments? It seems like almost every single week, I'm hearing bad news(or at least it appears that way to me). It's just frustrating and yes, sometimes I question my own sanity with all this stuff. Anybody have any ideas?

Jun 22, 2015 3:47 PM

Amanda, I have anxiety to, and I can tell I tense up while waiting, which causes me to feel anxious and then my blood pressure goes up. I've begun to close my eyes and concentrate on breathing calm and slow. It seems to work for me most of the time. I hope you can find a way to relax instead of being anxious. 🙏🌼

Jun 22, 2015 9:58 PM

I take lorazepam. Perhaps your doc can prescribe you some? I've heard ppl say that yoga is helpful.

Jun 23, 2015 1:59 AM

I take Valium, works very well.

Jun 28, 2015 9:30 PM

Amanda, I take Lorazepam for my anxiety but I have to tell you that when I am really feeling overly anxious, I sit in a very quiet place, concentrate on my breathing (I breathe abdominally and make sure I take slow and deep breaths in through my nose and out through my mouth counting to 5). I also relax a different body part starting from my neck and working my way down as I breathe. The other thing I do is put on some quiet music that I can really get lost in and close my eyes and just concentrate on the music itself. Usually after about 20 minutes of doing this (sometimes less) I find that I am in a sleepy state and can sometimes doze off for a short nap and when I awake I feel a bit better. I hope that you feel this helpful. Those two things are the only things I can think of other than taking the meds the doctor prescribed for it. Sometimes I will sit with a friend and chat and have them hold my hand or rub my back. Sometimes just the touch of someone who cares about you and is sympathetic to your situation can relax you as well. Hang in there, know that you can always come here and talk to any of us and have a conversation. I am sending you gentle and reassuring hugs to let you know that I am here and so are many others. It is a very uncomfortable feeling to have to deal with. You will make it through, I promise.. We will all be here to help you.

Jun 29, 2015 12:10 AM

I deal with panic disorder( panic attacks) I try and stay away from the caffeine and I also concentrate on my breathing and some relaxing music. Try finding some vitamin B12( it has to say for the central nervous system on it.) Take it twice a day it helps that is what I take to help me out since my pain doctor won't let me take my kolnipine prescribed by my pa.

Jun 29, 2015 12:22 AM

Amanda I do the deep breathing exercise and it seems to help I start and just keep doing until I can f=l myself relaxing. Hope this helps will be praying for you.

Jun 29, 2015 12:23 AM

Oh auto correct it is I can feel.

Jun 29, 2015 12:33 AM

My doctor prescribed me setraline for long term treatment of anxiety. But then I use Xanax when I get into really bad bouts. When they happen or if I try to get through them my self, I do what others have said. I breath through them. I also find my favorite distraction. I found that mine is my tablet. I never leave home without it. I will put a movie on it to take with me. I put music on my phone. Books on my tablet. It provides me with my favorite things to sidetrack me from concentrating on what scares me the most. Sometimes we may not know what that is and all we can do is sidetrack ourselves. Good luck in finding your own way of dealing with it.

Jun 29, 2015 3:11 PM

I take escitalopram, it reduces my anxiety and my pain too.

Then I also do a mind exercise: Try to imagine the worst that could happen. Be creative. It should make you feel better once you know what the worst case scenario looks like. Sounds crazy but it works.

Jun 29, 2015 3:24 PM

I definitely have anxiety, mostly around school.
Lorenzo, I do the same thing, and when I try to Spain it to certain people I call it positivity through pessimism. Seems like I'm always happier when something goes right, and if another things goes wrong it's not a surprise.
My dad also does a lot of breathing exercises with me.

Jun 29, 2015 8:05 PM

It's always a big help if you have someone who can do some of the relaxation techniques along with you. It gives you the extra support that you need and also you don't feel so alone and isolated.

Jun 30, 2015 9:22 PM

I take Xanax prn and go to a chiropractor that helps with stress and relaxes u. Hope this helps

Jul 01, 2015 11:20 PM

There's two homeopathic remedies that work really well the first one is called "rescue remedy " by Bach The other one is called "calms forte " by hyands .

you can get both of these at Earth fair and probably Whole Foods. Or anywhere else that sells homeopathic meds Amazon also sells them as well. Best side I found to buy from is Swanson homeopathy they have an online store they also sell custom remedies from Germany for about five dollars there fibromyalgia one works wonderful and also does there he'll one for people that have plantar fashion fasciitis these two in particular have really help me

Jul 01, 2015 11:24 PM

If you want real medicine you might have to go to a nurse practitioner that's what I'm doing now I'm having severe panic attacks because of hormone changes to the point that I feel like I'm having heart attacks I'm on both Celexa and well butyrin at first I thought it was helping me But now it seems like it's so much worse I'm going to see the doctor tomorrow morning I also take Clonopin for massive attacks however I would not suggest Klonopin because it lasts a long time it takes a long time to kick in. I'm hoping once I have my GYN surgery a lot of this will go away I think it's a lot of hormones causing this at least I hope that's what the problem is .

I have noticed that my pain seems to be a trigger for my panic attacks and anxiety attacks the worse the pain the worse the attack, also the longer the pain the worse the attack so there's definitely a leg but I'm not sure if there's anything anyone

Oct 09, 2015 8:41 PM

I also have severe anxiety and bad panic attacks, the Dr.s wanted me on Xanax or Valium but I refused. I try really hard to focus on something calming and relaxing when I am upset or having a panic attack. It's hard at times but I also pray and try to just do deep breathing exercises.

Oct 09, 2015 9:21 PM

Irishgirl6968, that's good you're able to relax and control most of yours. I was doing well with mine until I began having itching spells the last few weeks. I don't know if it's the extra stress I've been under or if it's coming from something else. Either way the itching drives me bonkers! I do take Tranxene when I need it, but I try to work through it. 🙏🌼

Oct 10, 2015 10:24 AM

You can take any of the meds mentioned, they all work fine. There are herbs you can take. Kava root or Valerian root. You won't feel the kick in but u will be calmer.

Oct 10, 2015 6:18 PM

I used those herbs years ago and neither one did anything for me. I had all the confidence in them because my boss was using them and she was doing great. I put no prior negative thoughts on these herbs so I just thought they would just simply work. I wish they had because I would rather use those than the prescribed stuff but I have such horrible anxiety made worse by 22 years of pain and 28 surgical procedures that didn't help me and in the end, caused more pain. I wish anyone in the situation the best and hope it works for them. Just know, if they dobrC there's no shame in using prescription medication. 💕🙏🏻🌻

Oct 10, 2015 6:45 PM

Alwayz, at this point I'm really wishing I had asked for something for anxiety. I feel like I'm running around like a chicken with my head cut off. Not allowed any herbals 2 weeks prior either. I can feel the tension building but I just can't do a darn thing about it either. I know it's major surgery this time, and I know I'm in excellent hands. I don't want to back out cause this is truly the only way we are going to know if this is endo and if there is damage that needs to be corrected. My biggest fear is fear of the unknown right now.

Oct 11, 2015 6:17 PM

Hang in there Amanda, it won't be long now and it will be but a memory and you'll be on the road to healing (which I pray is both speedy and complete). 💕🙏🏻🌻

Oct 11, 2015 7:52 PM

I also have panic attacks. I take Xanax and it helps but not a cure. You still have to work through them and they can get you down, bad.

Oct 11, 2015 8:00 PM

My daughter has panic attacks and if she can head it off with breathing exercises it helps. She also takes Paxil for hers and if she takes it like she is supposed to she doesn't have any attacks. Sending you love,prayers and lots of hugs.

Oct 11, 2015 8:01 PM

My son also takes Paxil. This dreaded disease is hereditary and I hate that I passed it to him. Prayers for your daughter.

Oct 11, 2015 8:05 PM

Thanks Trishalishious, my daughter just had a baby in April I hope and pray she didn't get it from her. I hope your son is doing well.

Oct 11, 2015 10:31 PM

I have been challenged with anxiety all my life. I have been on many medications. I now believe for my situation that some medications are like bandages and for me they were not a cure, because the anxiety has gotten worse over my lifetime. Knowing what I know now I wish I would of been given the opportunity to take the medication sort term, but to also work on why I have the anxiety and to work through it. I worry that it is going to get worse and more medication will be needed. I don't want to go down this road, when will it stop. I need to in charge and show my daughter ways to build my and her resilience. For me I now practice alternative ways of coping, as much as I would rather take more medication or even drink. This is not fair option for me and my family. I do practice distraction, meditation, mindfulness, change what I eat, exercise, listen to music, get busy doing something else. I try to accept that anxiety is a part of me but not the whole of me. It's hard at times I get angry, scared, use foul language, yell, or go into panic. Not proud moments. I just need to keep on moving forward.
I read a quote that said, "Depression is thinking of yesterday, anxiety is thinking of the future, but mindfulness is right now." When anxiety gets bad and a breath of fresh air would be good, go outside, if anyone asks tell them you are 'Outstanding' ;)
Beets 😊

Oct 12, 2015 9:08 AM

That's awesome. Thank you for that. Strength in numbers!

Oct 12, 2015 10:42 AM

BeetsRGood, I love your saying! I also walk away when I feel something or someone is setting of my anxiety. And i can't say the number of times I've told someone, "If you're not willing to listen to my advice or suggestions then please don't tell me your problems, which stress me out simply because you won't do anything to change it. You just complain about you issue.". Talk about stress relief for me... Priceless! 🙏🌼

Oct 12, 2015 10:52 AM

I have panic disorder. When you feel an attack coming on, it helps me to look around and find five things I can see, four things I can hear, three things I can touch, two things I can smell and one thing I can taste.

Oct 12, 2015 1:04 PM

ButtonsGrammy, as long as I can taste chocolate! 😋 I like your idea too! 🙏🌼

Oct 12, 2015 4:21 PM

I find the deep breathing exercises help, letting your body go limp as you exhale. Breath in for count of 4 hold for 4 seconds then breath out for 5. Also I used to take valerian as well, it worked for a while and then stopped working. It stinks like dirty socks so I tried to exhale while taking it. Imagery also helps me, I try to relax and picturing myself in a safe place. I love the ocean so I often imagine myself walking on a quiet beach enjoying the sea air and the sound of the waves crashing on the shore. I hope you can find something that works or maybe call your doctor and see if they can give you something for anxiety to get you through this time.

Ready to start relieving your pain?

Join Community