Learn from patients with pain similar to yours

CatchMyPain Community and Pain Diary App to manage chronic illness

Back pain

Jul 01, 2015 4:59 PM

I just had pain suddenly come over me but it is not my typical pain. It is on my left side where I still have a build up of muscles from my scoliosis. The pain is throbbing and it hurts to move even just a tiny bit. I think it may be a muscle spasm. Has any had a muscle spasm before and if so, what does it feel like? Any suggestions to alleviate the pain?

Jul 01, 2015 7:30 PM

Welcome fellow scoliosis patient. Try pressing really hard on the spot that hurts for about 10 to 15 seconds, it will release the muscle. Yes, it will hurt. You may need to do it a few times. Depending on where the pain is someone else may have to do it for you. I have a device that I use called Thera-cane got it from a physical therapy office. Muscle spasms feel like a bad cramp. Sometimes I get my face as close to the corner as possible, while standing up, then put my hands on the wall like I am going to do a push up. By being in the corner tight you are forcing your shoulder blades to get really close think you are going to hold a grape between them. Then do 5 or so 'push offs' this should relax your muscles. This stretches your upper back and shoulder muscles. The other option is a nice hot shower or bath with tons of epsom salt. Hope this helps you. If it is lower back I hand upside down like a bat. Massage therapy is another option, but that does not help you right now.

Jul 01, 2015 10:04 PM

ChronicG, my muscle spasms feel exactly like you described. They pull and draw from the spine around my ribcage, then suddenly tighten where it's hard to take deep breaths. Mine started after a car wreck in the 1990's. I have a long standing rx for Parafon forte muscle relaxers. I also use heat & ice. Praying yours won't last too long! 🙏🌼

Jul 01, 2015 10:12 PM

Thank you both. I took an Advil and just laid flat for a few hours. The pain went away after a little over 45 min which isn't too bad.

Ready to start relieving your pain?

Join Community