According to the new government mandated guidelines all patients with a BMI (body mass index) equal to or greater than 30 must be given a handout informing the patient of suggestions, hints & reminders, which the doctor is now required to counsel the patient on: weight loss, healthy eating, & exercising.
I had my 6 month follow up with my rheumy doc today. I've gained 10 pounds since my last visit, and lost another half-inch in height. She asked how I'd been since the last visit and if I'd had any health changes. I updated her on it all, which she responded on each in between...
1) I've been unable to do any exercises due to sickness (Dec-Feb) & my SOB & exhaustion with activity over 10 minutes. But by tracking my steps I averaged between 1200-3000 on a bad day and 4000-6000 on a good day; ... Her ["Are you sick now? If not you need to move more. Do not sit around all day, only walking to your bathroom or kitchen. I take 1600 steps before I ever leave my house every day. Then I'm averaging 12-16000 steps a day. Taking anything less than 10000 steps a day is going to make you gain weight and get deconditioned. It's unacceptable & unhealthy to move less" ]
2) My cardiologist had cleared sob as not related to my heart and he'd referred me for a lung workup next week; Her ["I'm betting your lung doctor will clear you too. Your heart doctor found nothing wrong. You have nothing wrong more than being deconditioned. "]
3) I now have growths on my skin the dermatology doc says are partly autoimmune related; Her response [Well that comes with age." & laughs]
4) I can't take Aleve or anything like it due to the Barrett's Esophagus dx; Her response ["Really? Hmmm."]
5) My Ortho doc did some labs and wanted me to let you know my CRP level was an 8.2 rate;
Her response ["I'm not interested in that. I don't treat OA and the CRP levels doesn't matter to me. "]
6) I'm cutting back my sugar, fat, & portion sizes, because that's what my GYN suggested while I can't exercise; Her response [" That's a good start, but you must get moving. You are deconditioned and must exercise and take at least 10000 steps a day. "]
7) I'm not resting well due to bladder issues and waking to change positions from pain; Her response [" That's to be expected. "]
At this point my hubby tried to speak up and said, "Is it possible she has chronic fatigue syndrome, maybe instead of fibromyalgia? She has all the symptoms and our primary doc has mentioned it before. She can't hold out walking through the grocery store without getting short of breath." (Keep in mind my hubby researched this on his own and has really been concerned over my lower energy levels and SOB with activity.) She immediately cut him off and said," Why would you possibly want to give her another diagnosis with more meds? " He was speechless, and it took me a few seconds to respond that neither one of us wanted more diagnoses or meds. He was just wondering if it was possible, since our PCP has already suggested it.
She cut me off stating that CFS has the same symptoms of fibro and sjogrens, among other illnesses. Then she continued by commenting "You're on way too much medication, & every doctor you have is going to say the same thing, including me that you need to come off some meds, but you can't come off mine; You can justify every single medication you're on but two-thirds of your meds is likely the cause of many of your problems/illnesses."
At hat point the tirade - counseling - or whatever you call it ended, as she told me to put my shoes on and report to lab for some tests. Let's just say my hubby left there po'd 😤, and I want happily with her rudeness either. 😡
I hope everyone else's day has gone much better! 🙂💕🙏🌼