Learn from patients with pain similar to yours

CatchMyPain Community and Pain Diary App to manage chronic illness

Botox for Migraines

Jun 10, 2016 9:09 PM

Has any had or currently having Botox done for Migraines? Did it work?

Jun 12, 2016 11:45 AM

I've not had them. But my sister gets them every 8-12 weeks.

Jun 12, 2016 12:57 PM

I've not had them either, but been offered and not really sure about the needles in my face thing, my friend on the other hand swears by them. It really depends on the person.

Jun 12, 2016 4:54 PM

Yeah it is suppose to be 31 injections each round between the head, sides of the head, and neck area. I'm not worried about the needles.

Jun 12, 2016 5:12 PM

As bad as I've had migraines today..(2) of them I may reconsider the offer and get it done, like I said my friend swears by them. But the outcome is different for every person.

Jun 13, 2016 5:47 PM

At this point I am willing to try anything!

Jun 13, 2016 6:42 PM

I've been taking them since last year and they seem to decrease the days of me having them but not the intensity of them.

Jun 13, 2016 6:43 PM

I was told it may take a couple of rounds before I start seeing a difference. If I hasn't by round 2 then they weren't for me.

Jun 13, 2016 6:46 PM

Last month was my 4th time having them. I noticed a difference the 2nd month after my 1st round of injections.

Jun 13, 2016 6:47 PM

Well I hope you find something that helps.

Jun 13, 2016 6:48 PM

Thanks. Are you considering the injections?

Jun 13, 2016 6:48 PM

Yes. I am waiting for the supply to come in. They said a fee weeks and then it would be every 3 months.

Jun 13, 2016 6:51 PM

Yes it's every 3 months for me also. I hope you feel better. I suffer from complicated migraine, migraine with aura, and ocular migraines.. it's been a long and painful journey for me, hopefully you'll benefit much more than I have.

Jun 13, 2016 6:56 PM

I got Botox for my headaches. When I was with the pain clinic they told me point blank that Botox are not for migraines and that they are for tension headaches which I also get nearly every day. They offered me Botox for them and they have reduced the amount I get slightly but as for the migraines it hasn't helped mine at all. I'm so surprised u guys have been give it for migraine prevention as I was told it doesn't help them. I must have been give the wrong information. x

Jun 13, 2016 7:12 PM

This is the 2nd doctor, Neurologist, I have been to that has suggested it. My old insurance wouldn't pay for it. I was on Topomax for prevention for years. It was the side effects of long term use that ended up being the reason I was taken off of it.

Thanks Pumkin85. I too have complex Migraines. First time I had one I thought I was having a stroke. At this point migraines, in some shape or form, are almost a daily thing.

Jun 13, 2016 7:21 PM

Be very picky and research the physician doing this because both can migrate and settle out of where it is injected. Proceed with caution I have a friend that had problems after the procedure with her eye lid drooping.

Jun 13, 2016 7:23 PM

Yeah that was one of the concerns I expressed with my doctor. She has an impeccable record and she has done a great job with everything else but thank you for the advice.

Jun 14, 2016 8:05 AM

You're welcome geekyfibrogirl. Sorry for the late reply. Yesterday was a very painful day for me. In addition to migraines I also have fibromyalgia, sciatica, and a list of other painful symptoms. Myself personally have got a reduction in the amount of days but the intensity of the migraines are insane . I hope you get relief if you do decide to go with the Botox. God Bless

Jun 20, 2016 9:45 AM

I had it done and it reduced my migraines down by 70% still would get a random migraine but I took imigran and 3 asprin and it left. Im struggling at the moment, im due next month for a refill.

Jun 20, 2016 1:14 PM

I didn't have any luck for mine..

Jun 20, 2016 3:33 PM

Thats un very sad Honnya.
They do say to try 3 times. I have Pain Migraines, Vestibular Migraines, Hormonal Migraines and Chronic Headaches. Im trying to get a diagnosis of Fibromyalgia or Lupus.

Jun 20, 2016 3:37 PM

I am diamond with fibromyalgia and a couple types of arthritis. Migraines. Broken vettibrate in spine
One other disc permantly out etc.

Jun 20, 2016 3:39 PM

Oh man you must be in pain alot. So sorry.

Jun 20, 2016 3:39 PM

Yes and thanks.

Jun 20, 2016 4:11 PM

I get botox for my migraines. They decrease the frequency but not the intensity. I still have extended lengths for my migraines.

Ready to start relieving your pain?

Join Community