Learn from patients with pain similar to yours

CatchMyPain Community and Pain Diary App to manage chronic illness

bursitis

Sep 19, 2014 3:15 PM

anyone have bursitis that cannot take NSAIDS and their doctor limits how many coritsone shots you can get? How do you deal with the inflamation, pain, etc? Any insite would be greatly appreciated. TIA

Sep 19, 2014 4:39 PM

When they first started treating me for my back and neck they were giving me cortisone shots but because of the damage that steroids can do the the bone they cut back but gave me patches and Motrin for pain. My first doctor at the VA gave 800 mg IBP 3 times a day but after a few months it really messed up my stomach. So it sounds like your doctor is looking out for you drug wise but as far as pain have you tried cold packs and warm, not hot but warm moist heat it helped me but I ended up with surgery after 6 years of trying everything. They told me if I didn't have it I would be in a wheelchair real soon. It worked not perfect but way less pain now than before but my neck is to bad to do surgery until there is again no choice so I have been trying physical therapy and it helps some and other times I admit I take a pain pill but I am not worried about getting hooked they only give me 10 for the year so I am picking the worst pain I can stand before taken one.

Sep 20, 2014 8:54 PM

I've used ice, but not heat as I want the swelling to go down. I just had a cortisone shot the other day. Not sure how its working. I've had stinging burning discomfort where my butt meets my thigh and pins needles in my butt. Not painfull enought to get a pain pill except tynelol but irritating. Contemplating getting a TENS unit but hesitant due to hip implants even though my surgeon said it was ok

Sep 22, 2014 12:56 AM

I have hip bursitis but can't take anything that contains asprin or ibrufen. It is exceedingly painful. I have a tens which is ok. You can have it aspirated if the swelling is really bad, but have to say that is unbelievably painful as well. Catch 22 unfortunately.

Ready to start relieving your pain?

Join Community