Learn from patients with pain similar to yours

CatchMyPain Community and Pain Diary App to manage chronic illness

Can't sleep

Jun 01, 2016 3:15 AM

Trouble getting to sleep, and then early waking with leg pain. Hip and knee, which is nothing new. I'm tired. I don't want to be awake just so I can lie here in pain.

It's a solid 7, can't think about much other than the pain, it's making me fuzzy, mind keeps wandering to really bizarre places. Weak and sick and tired and light headed.

Still not bad enough for me to take my last remaining dihydrocodeine (saved from a tonsillectomy a couple of years ago).

Jun 01, 2016 8:25 AM

Dreadkitten, I'm sorry that you are in such pain. I know just how exhausting it is. It's very difficult to rest and get into a very restful sleep. With a pain level of a solid 7, I can't imagine it not being "bad enough" to take your saved pain meds. The thing is to take the meds before it gets to the intolerable point. I hope that you are able to find some resolve to your pain. Perhaps a visit to the doctor is in order. They may suggest physical therapy and also give you something or the pain and perhaps something to help you sleep. I wish you the best and hope you feel better.{{{{Hugs}}}💕🙏🏻

Jun 01, 2016 2:58 PM

I agree with AlwayZ. If the pain is this bad and it's been so for days, you should be seen. Controlling pain means doing things before it gets too far, in order to be able to cope & sleep. Sleep is very important for the pain to decrease also. Have you tried Melatonin or Tylenol PM? Hugs & prayers you get relief & sleep soon! 🙂💕🙏🌼

Jun 01, 2016 8:08 PM

I'm waiting for a PT referral, we know the cause is Joint Hypermobility Syndrome. Luckily the "episodes" of intense pain only last a few hours. They seem to be triggered by exercise, tiredness, stress, hormones and barometric pressure changes. I don't usually take anything for pain unless I have to get up and do things.

Acetaminophen is ineffective and ibuprofen gives me stomach ache, so unless the pain calls for cocodamol I tend to just curl up with a heat pack and wait it out. When you only have one codeine pill left, you really start thinking hard about whether you need it or if you can just wait it out for another few hours. It's miserable but I've had episodes like that since I was a kid and have never taken anything (effective) for them in the last 20 years.

Ready to start relieving your pain?

Join Community