I'm considering surgery to correct my herniated disc at the Thoracic 11-12 level. I've been diagnosed with it since July 2016 and it's caused significant near constant pain in my back and sciatica. I'm at my wits end with this pain. Surgery is my last resort, but I've tried everything else to get relief. The surgery that I'm considering is a Thoracic Microdiscectomy which uses a 1.5 inch incision, is much safer and has a quicker recovery than with standard disc herniation surgeries.
I'm wondering if anyone else has had a microdiscectomy, if so did it help you and did you have any complications?
I had one a year ago. I had terrible pain like you. They told me sometimes they can heal on their own so I let it go for about 6 months and couldn't stand it. I had the surgery. Today I still get some muscle spasms in my lower back but the pain is NOTHING like it was before surgery. Mine was L1-2.
The only complication I had was they let me go the same day. When I got home the pain went off the charts and my husband had to cal an ambulance to take me back to the hospital. They then kept me for two days to get the pain under control. Whoever decided that spinal surgery is "same day" surgery is an idiot!!!
I had spinal surgery in 2009, it was the worse decision of my life. Although the surgeon told me he did not recommend surgery, I had already suffered badly for over a year and could not think of the rest of my life being in that condition. The surgery was successful in that I survived, I didn't get an infection and they did get done what they attempted to do, therefore the surgeon declared it as a successful surgery. However, in my opinion the surgery has left me worse off than I was before and my life has never been the same since. I am no longer employable and my day is spent just trying to survive the pain.
I highly recommend you give it as long as you can to allow your body to heal as much as possible and see if you can live with the pain then. There are people who do end up being better off after surgery but surgery is a risk and it should be your absolute last choice in dealing with your pain. I recommend waiting up to 2 years to allow your body to heal before you elect to have surgery.