Learn from patients with pain similar to yours

CatchMyPain Community and Pain Diary App to manage chronic illness

Cymbalta

Nov 26, 2015 9:21 AM

My Dr just put me on Cymbalta to hopefully help some with pain and depression. Does anyone take this? When you first started, did you have any side effects?

Nov 26, 2015 9:45 AM

I took it for a few of weeks. It made me hurt worse and I felt like I had a cold and the flu which is common for me but this was worse. It got so bad I finally had to quit taking it. It was a sad day because it was one of the only medications left to add to my current pharmacy.

Nov 26, 2015 11:29 AM

Thank you. I just started taking it yesterday so it shouldn't have any effect yet, I wouldn't think. Antidepressants usually take weeks to show anything. But I haven't taken anything else new. I just took 1st dose at dinner last night and neen feeling nauseous (sp?) And kinda foggy, idk how to explain it bit jist like my mind is really tired. I still feel like that. The nauseau was bad this morning as soon as I woke up, I was having over the toilet for a few minutes then it went away (definitely not pregnant lol). Now I just feel like a tickle at the back of my throat and the "foggy" feeling is still there. Just hoping it goes away before I go back top work after the holidays.

Nov 26, 2015 12:07 PM

I started taking it like four months ago and it has changed my life. I still get really bad days with pain. But my days with pain have got better because of this drug. My outlook has been so much better. I just felt so much better. I think it helped me more than my pain medicine.

Nov 26, 2015 1:30 PM

This really helped me with my depression. Not completely but noticeably by me! Pain not sure but I like Cymbalta/gabapentin combo. For the most part it takes the edge off. Of course nothing is perfect and I do still have pain.

Nov 26, 2015 3:35 PM

Thanks! That makes me feel much better! I'm definitely going to push through the side effects but if they continue this much for 3 or 4 weeks, think I'll might have to change again. I really hope that doesn't happen though.

Nov 26, 2015 3:48 PM

I've been on Cymbalta for years. It definitely helped my depression/anxiety but not my pain. Now, unfortunately, it's not helping my depression/anxiety anymore, so they're trying other things now. I also have a new different diagnosis, so there's that too.

I do recall becoming nauseous in the beginning. Did you eat anything before taking it? Cuz that was my problem. I take it in the evening, after I've eaten dinner, and that seems to have worked. It also definitely made me sleepy at first, but that went away quickly. I hope it helps you!

Nov 26, 2015 4:44 PM

Thanks! Yes my Dr told me to take it with dinner do that's what I did. My friend gave me some needs to help with the nausea for now do that is helping. You definitely made me feel better bc I was told I shouldn't be feeling side effects quite yet. :-)

Nov 26, 2015 5:15 PM

Oh Hun ☺️, it's perfectly normal to have side effects the very first time you take something. Or to not have any at first. It just depends on the person and the medicine.

Nov 26, 2015 7:08 PM

Wnatsanswers.. I take the other option lyrica and I do get the naesuea. Try eattng more food or a few more starches that helps me

Nov 26, 2015 8:19 PM

I take it, it helps with the depression, but does nothing for the pain, that is unless it helping with some of the pain and not all of it.

Nov 26, 2015 11:43 PM

I took it years ago when it first came out, it kept me sleep, sick on my stomach and the doc would not let me have it unless someone was with me 24/7 for a week. It was considered a "add on" for pain with depression. But it increases the suicide exponentially. Aldso, is was years ago considered a short term boost drug, not to be taken very long. Isn't amazing that some docs will allow people to take it for years.

Nov 26, 2015 11:50 PM

I take Cymbalta and Welbutrin no side effects for me except a little fatigue And some stomach bloat and weight gain when I was just on Cymbalta but once I was put on welbutrin too I didn't gain weight anymore like I did being just on Cymbalta.

Nov 27, 2015 12:04 AM

The side effects were so bad for me, I couldn't work through them I got off of it right away.

Nov 27, 2015 10:17 PM

I took cymbalta for a couple years for depression. Did not change the depression. Had less anxiety during that period of my life. I would say that I think that it put my fibro into remission. When I look back I don't remember the pain and anxiety until a while after I stopped the drug because it didn't help with the depression. I am sensitive with medications. With this one I think the side effects were manageable. In the past two years I have figured out that I may have a sensitive stomach BUT more so because of tension, nervousness and anxiety. I feel it in my stomach. I figured this out through meditation. I take some sort of food with my medications. Low sugar yogurt, a little cereal. Weight gain is a common problem for me, usually wanting carbs.
WantAnswer take extra care of yourself this weekend. Everybody is different. Beets.

Nov 28, 2015 11:29 AM

I had to discontinue it. I threw up every time I took it and it made me feel awful. It's different for everyone!

Nov 28, 2015 12:01 PM

I'm on Cymbalta have been taking it for a year my doctor told me I can't take myself off of the medication for me it not working on the pain but, it helps on my depression.

Dec 01, 2015 1:36 PM

The nausea has stopped thankfully and not quite as tired. However, I also have Trichotillomania (a type of OCD or tick disorder where I pull my hair out) and I actually pulled a lot less while on Zoloft and had so much new hair growth but over the past several days it has gotten really bad again. Ugh. I hate trial and error when it comes to medication! I'm still going to stay on Cymbalta for a while and see how it really works for me. Hopefully the hair pulling will slow down again.

Dec 01, 2015 1:53 PM

I thought it was a miracle pill for two weeks. It just stopped working. I still take it with very little effect. I have not had any side effects outside of growing a new ear.

Dec 01, 2015 3:53 PM

Cymbalta is the second most prescribed drug for Fibromyalgia, just after savella. Evidence for pain is much weaker than for depression. Research shows that it takes about one out of 6 people to treat with Cymbalta 60mg for more than 12 weeks to show a pain reduction of more than 50%. As this sounds promising, real life experience seems different. Fibromyalgia patient surveys and as well this forum question the efficacy of that drug in Fibromyalgia. Myself, I've seen lots of chronic pain patients on Cymbalta with no relief. Around one out of ten get better. If it helps, thats great. I think you should give it a try for at least one month and then draw the line. This drug has been pushed a lot for chronic pain, though experience is not very convincing. Frequent side effects are nausea and dry mouth, similar as lyrica, combined they might add up side effects. If this antidepressant doesn't work for your pain, then the others won't help either and you're down with them.

Dec 01, 2015 4:00 PM

It took almost 2 months but my 60mg of cymbalta has cut my pain in about half. I had been on savella and I loved it. So much energy and I was able to do things. Then it just stopped working. So far the cymbalta is helping with pain. I do feel better. Just wish I had more energy!

Dec 20, 2015 9:17 PM

Cymbalta gave me suicide thoughts. I stopped it immediately. I will never touch it again

Mar 03, 2016 8:39 PM

It gave me suicide thoughts

Mar 03, 2016 11:24 PM

I was just put on cymballta too.. I started today we can learn together

Mar 04, 2016 3:07 AM

I agree with Profiler, life is better with it

Ready to start relieving your pain?

Join Community