Learn from patients with pain similar to yours

CatchMyPain Community and Pain Diary App to manage chronic illness

Depression

Jul 18, 2017 11:32 PM

Hi everyone,
I am having a lot of pain lately. I had a really bad flare up yesterday and had to take it extra slow today. On my bad days my depression is soul crushing. I feel useless and I get so fed up with the pain.
How or what do you all do to help with the bad days/ depression?

Thank you

Jul 19, 2017 6:16 AM

Hey @LimaVel25 . I been getting on here getting extra support. Just a reminder that I'm not alone really helps . And you are never alone . We are all here for you. I'm sorry you had a hard day .

((Gentle hugs)) sending preyers your way.

Jul 19, 2017 8:34 AM

I reached out to friends about being in such a funk for 2 mos. I had to forgo paying rent so I could save money up to get pre pay for a biopsy.
Some advice I got besides the eat better (don't we all want to do this and would if we could?)

Start a journal (if any kind)

Open curtains again
(if that is something you got out
of habit)
Join a support group
(who wants to hear about me?)

Try to exercise in some way or form...point just move and getting more coffee or going to lil room doesn't count 😜

Paste affirmations bathroom mirror, fridge, visor in car, other places you'll see it...

Change 1 mindset from negative to positive...how/what got you in this bad place?

Last but not least: Reach out to someone outside yourself that can check on you to talk about a change, how it's working etc...they can hold you accountable

I'm not saying I did every single one of these things, but I had to do something as I knew 2mos in bed is not me...chronic pain has a way of holding us prisoner and then other forces can really rob us of our lives...being aware of all these things empowers us for change...and may be our time to reflect..many hugs and prayers...
All my best

Jul 19, 2017 3:37 PM

Thank you so much for this. I really appreciate it.

Jul 19, 2017 7:10 PM

I would just lije to put in my 2 cents. I was told by a shrink that I had depression. Then he gave me all these drugs to take. He said these would improve my life. But, they did just the opposite. I was moody, nasty and i felt like i was in a bad dream all the time. And after several medication changes and dosege changes i finally figured out that the drugs cause depression. The dr's just prescribed them to justify there existence. I quit taking them and returned to being a human instead of an alien with bad things on my mind. And people wanted to be around me again. My advice is to use your family and friends instead of drugs. My life is much better not being on those so called medications. Thats my opinion as well as all my family and friends.

Jul 20, 2017 11:04 AM

Sorry to hear your in a flair I am too at the moment and it's really not fun but you need to remember your not alone we are all on here to help you if you need it, Remeber you have got through every bad day so far so you can get through this one, I hope the pain eases of soon, Sending hugs 😊

Jul 20, 2017 11:06 AM

@Mbek57. I stopped my meds for the same reasons about 3 years ago. I only take my bipolar med. When I get depressed I talk to my hubby or get advice on here .

Jul 21, 2017 12:55 PM

Hello :) the same thing happens to me. I've been on Prozac, and I mean I think my mood has improved, but somedays it's just like I'm being crushed by sadness and anxiety. What works for me is I try to walk or stretch just because if I let myself sit and do nothing I just fall deeper into the hole. Going to the movies sometimes. Or hanging with my friends.

Jul 22, 2017 12:23 PM

@Shmegs I used to take Prozac . Now they want me back on it but I don't know if I want to . I really don't like taking medication. So I am picky on what I take

Jul 22, 2017 3:09 PM

I feel you there. I was totally against going on them, but I was feeling so bad emotionally that I was just like whatever I'll take em. I've improved I think, but I definitely want to go a more natural route. As of now though, since I was just diagnosed in March and that's when everything kind of rained down, I'll stick to them. @Westrengirl

Jul 22, 2017 6:12 PM

Oh, when I have those kind of days, I focus on the things that make me feel happy. For me making myself comfortable and taking a nap helps keep my mind off my pain and depression, when all else fails climbing into a warm bath with candles and listening to something I enjoy. I started listening to the Comedy channel when I get depressed

Oct 17, 2017 6:41 PM

Hi there, I am sorry that you are feeling depressed and I hope you feel better soon and I know what its like when the pain causes Depression. On my bad days I try and do my Arts and Crafts. I also do EFT tapping. (there are loads of videos on YouTube) I tend to use Brad Yates and David Childerley they both do tapping videos on pain relief and healing. I have also used Distant Healing in the past as well. If you Google Harry Edwards Distance Healing you can submit your details and they will send you healing for 6 weeks they will send it free and you can make a donation if you want. They are very good and I have used them in the past.
I hope you give the EFT and Distant Healing a try! I also hope you feel better soon.
God Bless

Oct 17, 2017 7:09 PM

There have been many peer reviewed studies that St. John's wort works as well as prozac. Just check with your Pharmacist in case of any interactions.

Oct 19, 2017 6:05 AM

Hello:) I'm currently on Abilify, Zoloft, Wellbutrin. It's taken me a good long while to find the right medications but I would not be here today if I wasn't on them, oh and ECT (electro convulsive therapy)
Feel better ❤️

Oct 27, 2017 3:11 PM

I try to make sure that I'm grounded and not using all/nothing statements (ex. My pain will ALWAYS be this bad. I'll NEVER be better. NO ONE likes me.) It sounds silly, but sometimes restating thoughts like those can help: right now my pain is really bad. I may not be pain free, but I can learn to manage my pain better. Maybe some people don't like me, but that's ok.
Another thing that helps me is the dialectic idea, which is allowing two seemingly opposing thoughts to be true: while I might never be pain free, I can reduce my pain. I'm not better right now, but that's okay because I'm taking steps that will help me to get better.
Unfortunately these don't work for everyone, and may not work all the time. Another trick I like to use is watching "feel good" movies and anime, Disney and Studio Ghibli are my go-to for that.
I hope that some of this helps

Oct 27, 2017 6:52 PM

Depression really sucks. Many antidepressants did not work for me but finally I have found to that work pretty good. My depression comes and goes along with my back pain. I don't have any family for support but I do have a couple good friends that understand what pain it does to a person. Therapist... Well, they're not telling me anything I don't already know to do. It's hard to do those things when you're feeling down. Depending on my mood and my back, I'm finding that I am cancelling plans with friends more often and missing doctor's appointments because I just don't have the umph or care to do anything.Friends get tired of me canceling on them all the time and eventually stop calling all together. The good old days before pain were wonderful. Now it's just not worth it at all

Oct 27, 2017 7:04 PM

The best thing you can do is reach out. To your family, friends, your doctor... anyone. They’ll want to help. Not everyone’s advice will be what you need, but you can pick what to try and find something. And hearing from everyone will let you know that people care. Remember that not everything works for everyobe. Those statements made about medication not working and only existing to to keep psychiatrists jobs is false and dangerous. If you choose to try the medication route, that makes you brave and strong. Just choosing to wake up every day when you have chronic pain is brave and strong. You are somebodies hero.

Nov 04, 2017 3:33 PM

I'm not sure what you're talking about with me only exist in to keep the psychiatrist jobs. I think you might have read it wrong. And by no means is my depression that bad where I'm having suicidal thoughts or anything. I just miss the life that I once had. I love how the doctors tell you to,,, just do one thing a day,,, start out with walking on the beach one day a week,,, just do one chore daily. Please! I know what I need to do is just being unable to do it. Sometimes I tell myself it's playing laziness. So I get up to do something and I'm freaking exhausted Within 5 minutes. My arms feel like they're going to fall off. And as for family, I have none. My parents passed away in 2007 and 2009. And oh boy what fun here comes Christmas :( I am so thankful for God for what I have and today I'm in a good mood. But not good enough to go out and about. I could just lay on this couch all day and watch TV and being in that position does not hurt my back unless I don't rotate my back every 20 minutes. Thank you so much for the reaching out part. Hope you have a wonderful weekend

Nov 04, 2017 6:22 PM

Rest and doing at least one thing productive no matter how small. Eat only good food even if it not much. Drink water and good suppliments. When I have them tramadol

Nov 04, 2017 6:24 PM

Walking around helps with my OCD and adhd. Thinking positive. Talking to God, maybe cussing at Him.

Nov 19, 2017 1:15 PM

Some days I cannot do even one thing. I just sleep or rest all day. I will get out of bed & sit in chair but that's it. I don't eat anything that needs prep so I'm usually eating no prep carbs. Those are the bad days. Then I have days of prayer & closeness to God and find motivation/strength there for doing some basic like washing dishes or watering my plants. Then there are those days of drive where I will do something that is bugging me like clean all the dirty light switches. I think it's been centuries since last done. On this day I also pruned vine in backyard that was making a walk around the pool difficult/dangerous. So when I have no energy for much of anything I find peace in remembering my busier days & know that eventually I'll get productive again. So much of our self esteem is in what we do instead of who we are. I am remembering who I am.

Nov 19, 2017 1:25 PM

What we do instead of what we are. Amen

Ready to start relieving your pain?

Join Community