Learn from patients with pain similar to yours

CatchMyPain Community and Pain Diary App to manage chronic illness

Dry Needling

Dec 03, 2016 10:13 AM

My physical therapist and I have been talking about ways to try to get my mom active again. One thing she mentioned was dry needling. Its similar to Accupuncture. They insert the needle into trigger points. I don't know how it works.

For the past two weeks my left side of neck and shoulder area have been so tight it's kept me awake with all the pain. Yesterday at PT she was massaging that area and felt those tight knots in there. She suggested I try the Dry Needling. Needles don't bother me (strangely enough I don't mind them on me but when I was a nurse I hated giving shots to others.. Lol)

Anywho. I was sore for a few hours but once I went to bed - I slept until 9am. This never happens. I am usually up and down all night and any little noise wakes me up. Today I slept through dad getting up for a meeting. Mom getting up and having breakfast and my son getting up and taking a shower. (we share the same bathroom). That area still feels good even after helping son carry a ladder, doing some decorating etc. I wonder if I could just have her do my whole body. Lol.

Dec 03, 2016 1:23 PM

Wow! Want to know more about this!!! Keep posting on how long this works, how often do you it, who does it? 😃Very encouraging!

Dec 03, 2016 3:05 PM

I think I definitely need to look into this it sounds like something that would work wonders!!!

Dec 03, 2016 3:12 PM

Mich - my physical therapist is trained in it but I know my pain clinic also offers it.

Dec 03, 2016 3:12 PM

So far so good Sezzy. Am keeping fingers crossed.

Dec 04, 2016 7:39 PM

I have had good results with dry needling although it did hurt for a few seconds as the muscles were so tight. It loosened the muscles immediately and the needles were taken out after 5 mins. The physio has an easier time massaging the muscles. For me it aches for 24 hrs after treatment and then feels quite good. It is a much better option than constant back pain.

Dec 04, 2016 7:42 PM

Beckstar.... Can I ask what back problems you have? Am trying to get my mom to try it as she is in constant pain (back) but can't take Narcotics as they make her sick.

Dec 04, 2016 8:37 PM

I have Fibromyalgia and Dry Needling helped me a great deal. I had appointments every 2 weeks, and the technique kept the pain minimal to non-existenter for at least a solid week at a time.

Unfortunately, my insurance would not cover the cost of the appointments. At $200 an appointment, I had to stop going. I haven't found anything since then that has helped me as much, or as quickly.

Dec 04, 2016 9:06 PM

I have had dry needling done,hurt like hell but it did help alot.. My GP use to do it for me.........

Dec 05, 2016 8:04 AM

Mine didn't hurt at all. I felt some pressure at times but not too bad. The needle I didn't feel at all. My physical therapist did mine. She does it in conjunction with the physical therapy. I think that's a good plan, at least for me. The therapist works on all body mechanics although my reason for going was neck and shoulder. She said that although those areas hurt strengthening all areas will help.

The physical therapy is covered by my insurance. Right now the Dry Needling is also covered by my auto insurance due to a car accident. Once that coverage is gone though the cost would be 50.00.

Dec 06, 2016 6:14 AM

Mimikay I have stenosis and root compression in my neck, 6 stable thoracic fractures and 5 buldging discs and lower lumbar pain from healed fractures.

Dec 06, 2016 7:57 AM

Thank you Beckstar. Those are all issues my mom is feeling with. I just have to convince her to go.

Dec 06, 2016 8:06 AM

Mimikay it is my "go to" treatment when my back muscles are like tight ropes which travels up my shoulders neck and cranium causing a headache. It's not a magic cure or long lasting but it gives me relief. The pain meds work better as the tense muscles release and my stress goes down which is an added benefit. Amazing what a teeny weeny needle can do. I usually take osteo panadol or an anti inflammatory to help the ache. I rest for 24 hours. No PT except the compulsory 30 min walk which might happen in 5 min increments. Some days are way better than others. Tell your mum to give it a go

Dec 07, 2016 8:07 AM

She can't take pain meds... They make her sick. :( will keep trying with her.

Dec 07, 2016 12:36 PM

This sounds awesome but I'm not sure I could get over my fear of needles lol

Dec 08, 2016 7:26 PM

Mominfl I wasn't thrilled about having needles either but I'm always face down on a massage table so I never actually see them.

Dec 08, 2016 9:34 PM

My mom told me about this I have to look into this if I have the money

Ready to start relieving your pain?

Join Community