Learn from patients with pain similar to yours

CatchMyPain Community and Pain Diary App to manage chronic illness

emg

Jun 06, 2017 6:00 PM

Ok so I have had four MRIs, numerous blood tests and exams, and just recently an EMG (which was very painful for me). Anyway, the "usual" damage to my lower back and neck (DDD, some OA, bulging discs, stenosis,etc); the only thing that keeps coming back out of range in the blood test is a continuous elevated CRP (sign of inflammation). But steroids have not reduced the CRP. The EMG I just had came back negative. I'm always in excruciating pain and could hardly walk last week with a feeling like my spine was pulling apart and my hip separating with terrible neck pain - the doctors have me in diagnosis limbo still.

One doctor said he suspects Fibromyalgia with my symptoms and another says no because I would not have elevated CRP and I don't have the horrible pain in the trigger points (when he touched my neck). I also get swollen feet sometimes and I was told that I would not swell with FM

Any other thoughts? I'm just trying to figure out what direction to go in next. I have seen a GP, chiropractor in past that I want to try to go back to, an Orthopedic, neurologist, and on my second pain doctor because the first one just wanted to keep injecting my spine with epidurals that are not lasting. And I am just now trying physical therapy.

My next doctor appointment is not for a few weeks and I was hoping to research and go back with some information or areas to look into since I am suffering so badly and just want answers. Thanks everyone!!

Jun 06, 2017 6:13 PM

A rheumatologist can tell you if you have fibro.

Jun 06, 2017 6:52 PM

Yes so the rheumatologist said that is what he suspects but is concerned with the elevated CRP which he said would not be with Fibromyalgia so he said there's nothing else he can do for me and sent me to a Pain Managemwnt Dr. It's so frustrating.

Jun 06, 2017 8:09 PM

Sounds like with what you have given us it's osteoarthritis.

With the elevated CRP (inflammation in the body marker) external limbs swelling (this case your feet) and your spine problems. EMG's rarely show abnormalities with people with osteoarthritis so that is no surprise there. As for your epidrals: osteoarthritis has higher inflammation "liquids" of you will then other forms of autoimmune disorders. The shots only work for short terms because they are not enough to handle the higher volumes of inflamations. Also some women have genetic heredity that perduces even higher amounts then normal.

I would check and ask for workup on osteoarthritis. However markers for hs-CPR do not always indicate that you have it. False positives are known to be prevalent. The best way to diagnose osteoarthritis is to rule out other possibilities. This may take time. Hang in there. We are hear for you.

(((gentle hugs))) praying for you.

Jun 06, 2017 8:29 PM

Interesting. So much knowledge here and I appreciate it. I may need to reevaluate my rheumatologist if after this next visit he tells me again "there's nothing I can do for you" and for me to walk out (hobble) not even knowing what is wrong. Thank you. At least here I get some peace of mind.

Jun 06, 2017 8:47 PM

Well check things out online with what you have. Read more then 2 posts from medical posts and not blogs or people commenting.
See what you think and jot notes down to talk to the doc about.

If you want some help with it let me know in a pm. I'll help you by sending links for you to read and discuss things with you to help.

Jun 11, 2017 7:04 PM

EMG's are awful! I had one done on my face 7ish years ago and i still vivdly remember how painful it was. I cant imagine how it must have made your back feel. 💖

Ready to start relieving your pain?

Join Community