Learn from patients with pain similar to yours

CatchMyPain Community and Pain Diary App to manage chronic illness

Endometriosis?

Jul 09, 2017 11:11 PM

Hi all, I've been doing some research on the internet over the last couple of days (researching hysterectomy/oophorectemy as I'm likely to be getting one in the next year or so) and I hit on a list of endometriosis symptoms. It was like a damn checklist, I have abdominal pain, lower back pain, mild nausea, frequent UTIs, painful/heavy periods with short interval times (before I went on HRT for gender dysphoria)... I've even got female relatives who've had it. I've made an appointment to see my GP later this week but in the meantime, how did other people find out about having endometriosis? I'm super wary about self-diagnosis but the pain/symptoms match eerily.
Just for clarity I'm a transgender guy, born female still with all female organs. I've been on testosterone for over a year, and while the pain/symptoms started well before that they do seem to have gotten worse since then. I've had an ultrasound to look for ovarian cysts but they couldn't find anything.

Jul 10, 2017 12:02 AM

Generally they'll do an MRI or ultrasound to look for large endometriomas, but most endo doesn't show on imaging tests. The only way to diagnose endo is through a laparoscopy.

If a doctor suspects endo, they'll usually start with a course of oral contraceptive, or in worse cases, Lupron to shut down hormone production (chemical menopause). Endo gets worse usually with high estrogen and low progesterone, so I'm not sure how T will impact it. If you have a GYN you can trust, I would have a conversation about it. Likelihood is that if you're planning on hysterectomy anyway, they'll check during surgery. There are also likely conversations happening in other forums about FTM endo issues during that you may want to check out. I wish you luck!

Ready to start relieving your pain?

Join Community