Learn from patients with pain similar to yours

CatchMyPain Community and Pain Diary App to manage chronic illness

Eye Issues

Nov 18, 2017 10:28 AM

Hey everyone. My eye has been red and painful for 2 days. I did use NeilMed Sinus Rinse the day before my eye starting being red and painful. I'm trying to figure out if my eye problem was caused by that because the solution starting coming out of my eyes, or if this is related to a chronic pain flare. I've never had this eye problem before, and because my chronic pain condition hasn't been diagnosed as any known disorder I have no idea if it's related to my pain. Has anyone else with a diagnosis had their eyes go red and become painful during a pain flare? If so, what helped the pain, and what diagnoses do you have?

Nov 18, 2017 11:16 AM

Is your vision affected? It might be dry eyes. Artificial tears would help with that. I had a tear in my retina that I had to have surgery on but my vision was affected. You might want to see an eye doctor (M.D. not OD) if it doesn't go away.

Nov 18, 2017 11:52 AM

AnimalLover2: My vision is normal. I'm getting some eye drops later today to try. My eye is only red from the punctum to the iris, so I don't think it's dry eyes.

Nov 21, 2017 9:49 PM

Saw doctor today about my eye, she took history, did a basic vision test and a Schirmer test. I damaged my eye worse than I thought. When the Sinus Rinse bottle solution started came out of my eye, it went through the lacrimal sac (which connects to the sinus) and tear ducts. As a result, tears aren't able to leave the eye, so the gland which produces tears, almost entirely stopped functioning. Injuries involving the tear ducts and lacrimal sac are rare. Right now I am currently using eye drops and will likely need them for a very long time, if not forever; since it's not known if injuries to the tear ducts or lacrimal sac can heal.

Nov 22, 2017 5:26 AM

I'm sorry to hear that AmbrielleLyn.

Ready to start relieving your pain?

Join Community