Learn from patients with pain similar to yours

CatchMyPain Community and Pain Diary App to manage chronic illness

Failed back surgery

Jun 25, 2017 10:43 PM

Third spinal cord stimulator. We spent an hour in the OR reprogramming but never were we able to mask the area of pain. Told that my nervous system is wired differently than the average person. Can CRPS/RSD do this? Stimulation is smooth and the brograms are very versatile. But it doesn't help with pain. Once I'm done with post-op meds I'm going to be back right where I started. My doctor won't listen and keeps pushing surgery. I get that there's an opioids epidemic but there are those of us who don't abuse drugs and use as directed to help control our pain. I was on 75MCG per hour. They took me off in 5 weeks. I'm taking Nyucenta but it barely helps at the low dosage I'm on. When I discussed going back onto something that made me functional, he refused. Said he is phasing his patients off meds. So I'm trying to find a new pain clinic which will empathize with my situation.

Jun 26, 2017 2:18 AM

Scruffy, what is your dx for your back? Is that where discomfort is? And does it readiate down the legs or in buttocks?

Jun 26, 2017 11:26 PM

Pain from toes to hip on my left side and right hip. Slowly spreading down that leg

Jun 26, 2017 11:27 PM

Stimulator covers most areas except the area I need covered.

Jun 27, 2017 9:53 AM

Have they MRI your lower back to the coccyx? And have they put u thru put therapy?

Jul 02, 2017 4:39 AM

Can't have a MRI because of the leads. Plenty of PT.

Jul 02, 2017 1:53 PM

What state do you live in?
All pain mgmt Drs are to provide their patients with adequate pain relief and there are mechanisms in place for years to verify whom is abusing medications and whom are not.
You have several options,
1) find a new pain mgmt Dr. or clinic and get copies of ALL of your records.
2) File a complaint against the Dr and the clinic for pain and suffering and failure to adequately treat your pain condition(s).
3) File a complain with the state licensing board against the Dr.
- all of these new "guidelines" and "laws" are designed to reduce pain medications not prevent those that need them from obtaining them.
4) Contact your state Governor.
- Most Drs need additional training and these guidelines beat into them.

If we all just allow these unjust changes to occur and fail to hold Drs accountable then it's just going to get much much worse.
I have a very good relationship with my state governor and many of the guidelines in place have had to be changed, Drs re-educated and new policies working with Health Care Providers put in place in my state because everyone jumped to make laws and guidelines but failed to follow through to see if we have those services available to patients and we do not.

Good luck to you. I can tell you that there are Drs out there that will and do prescribe medications you need. You just have to find them.
I have personally gone through this myself and it's a fricken nightmare but there is hope.
Best of luck!

Jul 02, 2017 5:56 PM

@scruffycub. I wish you the best of Luck. ๐Ÿ˜Š sometimes surgery is helpful and other times it's not. Do what's best for you. Listen to your body . It knows what's best for you over any doctor.

Sending prayers your way. โ˜บ Good Luck on what ever you decide.

Jul 03, 2017 8:54 AM

What spinal cord stimulator did you try?

Jul 03, 2017 9:25 AM

Scruffy sorry to hear about your failed surgery. Are you able to use a local TENS unit to help with the nerve pain? There are nerve pain meds that can help you i.e.; neurontin etc Hope you are able to find a pain clinic that will put you on a pain regiment that will help you. All my best๐Ÿ˜˜

Ready to start relieving your pain?

Join Community