Learn from patients with pain similar to yours

CatchMyPain Community and Pain Diary App to manage chronic illness

Fatigue

Apr 18, 2016 10:34 AM

Does anyone know any good ways of dealing with fatigue? I can't seem to shake it. I was taking B12 but my levels got yl my doctor told me I had to come off them. Any ideas or suggestions would be helpful, Thank You!

Apr 18, 2016 10:42 AM

This is going to sound counter productive but cardio workout. I found I feel more energized after a hot yoga class. And a little bit more energized after doing a program on my elliptical. I don't know if it's endorphins or what. Sometimes though all I can do is rest. Like today, I know I should go to yoga but I really don't want to. I do struggle with fatigue.

Apr 18, 2016 10:58 AM

I find taking an afternoon nap helps. If I don't take a nap I get over tired then have insomnia.

Apr 18, 2016 2:02 PM

I have go agre with both the other comments. I have high fatique and weakness today but yet I want to and need to go do more walking. I also have an insatiable hunger. I don't feel hungry but yet I want to snack. I did drag myself out to do a few laps and felt better but still weak. So I say try some short safe activity and then rest.

Apr 19, 2016 6:23 AM

My problem I face is I'm always on the go, and when I do get home to try and relax, before my kids are asking me about dinner. Sometimes it's all I can do to stand on day's like those. I went on a cruise with my car club Sunday through the mountains and at the end we all set our car's up for photos and just enjoyed the company and the car's and then we went out to dinner as a group and I had an amazing time, but that 2 hour ride Sunday and then again Monday to go see our tax guy 2 hours away I think did me in. I HATE that I can't do what I used to be able to do without being so fatigued.

Apr 19, 2016 9:16 AM

It does suck but unfortunately there is no alternative. We have to do the very best we can to stay positive, push ourselves to do the necessities and take breaks when we need to. I know it's hard and for me when I am taking my 86 year old Dad to doctor appointments and then to other appointments the doctor wants him to have, it leaves me flat. I wish I had a magic wand to wave and just do a great big spell and make everyone all better.. My pain management doctor said that there are no new pain remedies out there and that I just have to "bear with it the best I can". *Sigh.. One day it'll all be ok. {{{Hugs}}} πŸ’•πŸ™πŸ»πŸŒ»πŸ˜Š

Apr 19, 2016 6:49 PM

I have done yoga before in Georgia with a friend, is there a version that is low impact? If so I would love to take up yoga again, just not the ones my Friend and I did, it was really rough on my back.

Apr 19, 2016 7:13 PM

Walk or bike whenever you can - low impact and you can take it slow, but even 20-30 minutes daily-ish can make a big difference. And I know it sounds common sense but I am a slow learner... Rest for short periods when you need to!

Apr 19, 2016 7:13 PM

I tried to do beginner's yoga once as the doctor said "stretching" and movement would be good. No way! It only made me worse!

Apr 19, 2016 9:47 PM

Has anyone tried swimming? I'm thinking of starting to try to help with my fatigue.

Apr 19, 2016 10:10 PM

My neurosurgeon says swimming and/or recumbent fitness bicycle.

Apr 19, 2016 10:16 PM

Never did i say i was any good at the hot yoga. But the naturopath wanted me to go in a sauna for at least 20 minutes a day and stretch for at least 20 minutes a day so i figured I'd get it all done at once and went to hot yoga. If it hurts or makes it worse (more than the good 'Yay i worked out' hurt) then you were either going to hard, which is easy to do, or is not the right movement for your body. I go to the regular classes, i can't afford one on one with an instructor.

Apr 19, 2016 10:18 PM

I go for walks with my furbaby's 🐢🐢 I completely forget to do it most days & suffer throughout the day with fatigue, muscle & joint pain, headaches, etc. thank you for this post because in the morning I will remember to go for a walk! πŸ€—

Apr 20, 2016 2:51 PM

I'm finally able to walk short increments again without struggling to catch my breath. But instead of doing the 30+ minute walks, I'm doing 2-3 10-minute adults. It's not what it use to be but hey, at least I can move again! I'm beginning to wonder if my son spells are related to the seasonal allergens here. Can't wait to ask my pulmonologist Friday! We went grocery shopping last night and it took nearly an hour to get through the store. I decided to push a buggy instead of ride a cart, and I had to sit down while my hubby paid. I was exhausted when i got home. πŸ™‚πŸ’•πŸ™πŸŒΌ

Apr 20, 2016 2:54 PM

Flappys I know the feeling. I had to push a buggy today also and it was fine til we got to the check out. Thst when I went down hill but I did make it through without falling this time

Apr 20, 2016 3:00 PM

I really do try to make myself be more active, but by the time I work 7.5 hours as a legal admin, then go home to be a single mom to my 9 year old boy, it's all I can do not to cry from pain and exhaustion! I absolutely HATE not being able to do more with my son, as we all know it's hard for kids to completely understand!! Shout out to all those here who are able to do the physical activities daily or close enough!

Apr 20, 2016 9:38 PM

Shout out to you too Dleigh, and all the other working moms & dad's! I'm 54 but still remember how draining my two could be, and I was very healthy stay at home mom then. Reserve your energy for special outings. My 10 the old granddaughter comes over and we play board games at the table. She loves it better than video and tablet activities. I just have to extra cushion my chair seat! Lol. Hugs & prayers you'll have wonderful times they'll remember. πŸ™‚πŸ’•πŸ™πŸŒΌ

Apr 21, 2016 6:54 AM

Dleigh, I remember being in your position as a single Mom with Chronic Pain and a child with Chronic Pain and an unknown health condition, definitely have your hands full and but also completely rewarding.

I too would be completely exhausted and in pain by the time the kids got home from school from taking care of my Aunt then and working part time, so the night's I had to work and they didn't have much homework I would do a movie night or game night with them after dinner. The night's they didn't have school and I was off we would try and go to the park and go on a walk in the nature trails we had not to far. I always did something low impact because of my pain, but also something to give my kids room enough to run off thier energy on the weekends. And we would pick up a movie at the Redbox and rent a couple of movies for the weekend and movie night at night after they got thier bath's and ate dinner. So thier was no fight as to whose movie we would watch first we would alternant weekends on who got to watch whose movie first , Started off with Son's movie first , then my Daughter's then the following weekend my daughter's movie was first . they loved it and I was able to spend the with them and even though I was in pain at least I was sitting enjoying the company of my babies ( back then your son's age)

When I remarried my husband helped me out so much, by then I had to quit my job because of my Daughter's unknown medical problem had so many Dr's appointment's between her and my Aunt it consumed most of my time. We still found time to spend with the kids every night, just couldn't do a movie night most night's anymore so we did a family game night with board games and they loved it!

I hope what I did with my kids gives you some ideas for you that will help you out. Praying for you! Anyone with Chronic Pain and still has time to be a parent has my respect. It's not easy especially if you are single parent!

Apr 21, 2016 6:58 AM

Pain is so exhausting and depressing. I can't even work anymore. That's teally difficult for me after working as a RN for more than 20 yrs. now my back is just s mess along with all over pain due to mixed connective disease. Some days I just want it all to end. Try to hang on. I am.

Apr 21, 2016 7:16 AM

All the ideas are good. Try to get 8 hours of sleep with out naps. Sitting and resting is ok. Look at your diet some foods contain natural melatonin like Turkey. Thats why thanksgiving day everyone wants an afternoon nap. Other foods help keep you alert like cinnamon.

Apr 23, 2016 1:23 PM

Fatigue is really hitting me hard today, doing a car show with the Hubby and I to the point of barley being able to keep my eyes open. Can't wait until the awards ceremony ends so we can head home!

Ready to start relieving your pain?

Join Community