Learn from patients with pain similar to yours

CatchMyPain Community and Pain Diary App to manage chronic illness

Fibromyalgia

Nov 20, 2016 7:57 AM

I'm 17 and have been diagnosed for 2 years. Doctors recently decided the best treatment for me was no pain meds at all. Not even emergency ones. I'm in so much pain right now but I have go to work later today and I need to write a paper due tomorrow. Suggestions for relieving the pain or even just getting through the day without breaking down?

Nov 20, 2016 1:51 PM

Heating pad, soak in tub in Epsom salts, motrin? A few things off the top of my head.

Nov 20, 2016 2:34 PM

Magnesium malate helps me a lot. Take it on a regular basis. 5 milligrams for.every pound you weigh. Spread it.out or you will get the trots.

Nov 20, 2016 2:35 PM

Tylenol arthritis helps me .. At least to take the edge off. Relaxation exercises.. You tube has many 20 min. or so relaxation tapes.

I have had Fibro. (undiagnosed) since I was 12. Got the formal diagnosis in 1996. (i am just shy of 57 now). Some things I had done over the years are.

Water aerobics. I know that's too late for gettingbrelief now but if you have a place near that has a heated pool it might help.

Gentle stretching. If you sit at a desk for work or while doing your paper it's important to set a timer for at least every 15 minutes but not over 30. When it goes off it's a reminder for you to move. Stretch your arms up. March in place ( while sitting)

Hobbies. I like to write.. To color to read and quilting. And it helps to remind me that I am more than my diagnosis. :)

Do your teachers know of the diagnosis? I wrote up a small explanation then sent it to all my teachers. It helped in that they understood I was dealing with health issues and they were able to set up ways to help me reach my. Goals

Nov 20, 2016 4:33 PM

Hi Nal and welcome to the community.
That's terrible of the doctors to do that but at the same time a lot of the meds they can prescribe have a lot of nasty side effects and can cause a lot of damage to your body.

I know a lot of what suggestions I can give will of already of been said (sorry not read the other replies yet).

Have you tried soaking in a hot bath for at least 20 minutes on a bath with 1-2 cups of Epsom bath salts? It is very good for relaxing muscles.
Magnesium supplements? But I strongly recommend speaking to your GP before taking them to make sure you take the correct dose.
Heat pads? Or I have a wheatgerm microwave beanbag, as I get an awful lot of pain in my shoulders and neck, I put the heated wheatgerm bag around my neck and shoulders and it helps ease the pain as well as it soothes me with it's lavender scent.
I have a magnesium spray that I spray directly on to my skin where the pain is then massage it in well, the magnesium is absorbed into the skin and helps relax your muscles.
I have an electric diffuser which I mix the water with lavender essential oil so my room is a nice calming so it's easier to relax and unwind.
Heat pads are good.

There is more but I'm too tired at the moment and going to bed. As and when I think of more suggestions sending you { { { BIG GENTLE HEALING LOVING HUGS } } } } XX

Ready to start relieving your pain?

Join Community