Learn from patients with pain similar to yours

CatchMyPain Community and Pain Diary App to manage chronic illness

fibromyalgia chronic pain vs "episodes"

Dec 31, 2014 3:03 AM

My pain is daily but it changes location daily, sometimes every few hours.
My biggest problems are (1) my pain/tightness in my chest causing sharp pains(resembling heart attack)heart cleared by cardiologist...
(2) when pain exceeds my standard 6/10, I start to lose cognitive function and display all classics signs of stroke, most recent episode, my doc had me transported by ambulance to the ER
(3) my anxiety continues to worsen, most recently noticed it as my 3 yr old son was riding his bike, yes he had helmet, and training wheels and has perfected riding, but watching him go made me nauseous- this is irational!!!! What to do?

I'very spent more time in the ER this year then someone else will in a lifetime. How can I differentiate stroke/heartattacks versus Fibro "episode"?
Trying to eat healthier and need to lose weight,but the pain causes me to be much more sedentary then ever in my life!

Dec 31, 2014 6:01 AM

See a specialist. Rheumatologist and neurologist to document your pain and try different meds. GP don't know how to handle unexplained and intermittent pain

Dec 31, 2014 8:00 AM

I had chronic pain for over 4 years. Then I was diagnosed and started various treatment methods. The epidural steroid injections were given for spinal nerve & osteoarthritis pain but it helped the fibro too. Now I get flare ups that are worse than my daily (manageable) pain. I'm having a flare up now, probably related to my cold and the weather change coming in tonight. PCP docs do not have the full criteria needed to treat chronic pain & illnesses. Get a rheumatologist or endocrinologist involved in your care, along with a pain specialist.

Jan 01, 2015 4:16 PM

I am going to say something that might seem offensive before I explain. So just wait until the words to follow. I was wondering if you are going or have you considered going to a psychiatrist? The reason I ask is that with most people who are under a lot of pain, find it is very difficult to handle. Also, our pain levels to some extent are affected by our mental outlook. That is why most doctors who are treating patients who are suffering with pain with an anti-depressant. It is very useful in dealing with pain. Some may be able to cope without it but to many others, it has helped their ability to cope.

Some people when suggested to go to a psychiatrist are offended. They have the wrong idea of them. Some think that all you do is talk about you and your problems and about your past. They think that you tell them about your relationships and about what has happened to you when you were younger and do you love your mom and dad. But that is really different than the truth. A psychiatrist is someone who is specializes in treating specific mental health problems with the most effective prescription drugs. Their specialty is to pick the precise drug that will help your particular problem. They will ask you about what type of feelings you're experiencing, about your stress levels and what causes you stress, about your anxieties. If you have a family, they will ask you how your marriage is doing, if you are coping well with that. They won't want details. They just want to know if you feel secure, do you feel a sense of support. They will ask you if you're coping with raising your children. That is the thing they will ask. Like I said, these are things that A psychiatrist are interested in. They want to know the feelings that you are having so he/she can pick the best medicine and work with them. They are not interested in exploring your history.

So if you are getting depressed, are having panic attacks, or under a lot of anxiety, you might want to consider one. I think they will help. A psychiatrist has helped me a lot. They have prescribed me medicine for my panic attacks. They gave me one for when I'm having a panic attack at that moment. They prescribe me another medicine that will help prevent the panic attacks. He also prescribed me a medicine that will help with depression. This medicine will also help me cope with my pain. He also prescribed me another medicine that is considered a mood stabilizer, you may have heard of it, it is called Lamictal. He did that to help with my depression and to deal with pain. But the drug itself was known specifically for its properties in helping pain. And now they have new antidepressants that help with fibromyalgia. I am sure you heard of Cymbalta. I heard it is good medicine. So this is something to think about. I am not trying to push a psychiatrist. I just wanted to let you know that it works for me. Also, if you decide to do it, it is important to get a good one. Maybe someone you know can recommend a good one in your area. If you are from a city, you may see report cards of them on the web. Well, I have chattered you and every ones ear off probably to irritation. I have a way of doing that. My wife doesn't want me to discuss my health problems with her. She says there is nothing she can say of do for me so she doesn't want to talk about. It hurts because she had major depression for several years and I felt the same way. But I heard the best thing you could is just sit there, hold them, and just use you ears and listen. If you all get tired of me or I sound irritating, let me know. I don't to drag down a nice place like this. Have a best day possible and I hope that you get to feel the best that you can soon.

Jan 02, 2015 5:22 PM

Your comments are 'spot on' Profiler! Your explanation is not offensive at all, but highlights the difficulties for those who live with chronic and debilitating pain (and the many conditions where pain feature heavily).
So many GP and Consultants overlook the relief and effectiveness of certain antidepressants and anti-anxiety medications, when treating patients with chronic pain.
'Fed up' - I hope you found Profiler's information useful, and 'food for thought'. Good luck with finding the right help and support for 'you'. :-)

Jan 03, 2015 2:15 PM

Seeing a therapist to talk about the pain & how it affects you is a good idea. I see one once a week & she has helped me by giving me some ideas on how to deal with the aftermath of pain. She is helping me learn that while I might not be able to control the pain, I can control how I perceive it & how I let out affect my mood. I do see a psychiatrist for antidepressants but that's all.

There's no shame in asking for or receiving help. Good suggestion Profiler.

Jan 04, 2015 6:40 AM

I am a therapist and I see a therapist. I also am considering developing a pain management therapeutic support group. I have been doing a lot of research myself along with CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) for pain management. A group setting will allow for not only having the members feel not so alone, but also to share ideas for pain management, self care, interpersonal relationships, etc.

Ready to start relieving your pain?

Join Community