I've been to many doctors over the years and I must say there a lot of bad ones and some good ones. Well, maybe calling them bad isn't fair. They just don't have a clue about fibromyalgia or chronic pain in general.
Here are some tells that I have learned over time:
- a good doctor will admit that he does not know enough about fibro and send you to someone who does.
- a bad doctor will give you some painkillers and tell you to come back in a couple of months
- a good pain doctor will keep investigating the cause of your pain and he will spend a lot of time listening to you.
- a bad doctor will tell you "it will pass" and send you home after a 5 min visit
- a good pain doctor will tackle your pain on all levels (meds, physical exercise, explain how chronic pain works, explain how you need to change your behavior and mindset) and often times he will send you to experts in addition (e.g. Pain psychologist).
- a bad doctor will shoot one bullet at a time
What tells did you come across?