Learn from patients with pain similar to yours

CatchMyPain Community and Pain Diary App to manage chronic illness

Has anybody ever had this happen to them?

Feb 08, 2016 2:52 PM

Went to spinal orthopedic specialist this afternoon. Wasn't sure what he was going to say already, but I just went with it. At my last appointment back in May of last year, he originally said that my injury isn't fixable. So today, he asked me if I wanted back surgery. My response was No because of all the chronic issues I've had with MRSA. That would be the last thing I needed. I'm just wondering if it's not fixable, why the hell did he ask me that question? So, got other options that we can do. He did recommend an RF ablation which I'm hesitant to do at the moment. They could also do a neuro-ablation for the SI joints which I'm also hesitant to do. I've got a tens unit on order so I'm going to give that a shot for several months. If it gives me good relief, great. If not, I'll discuss doing the RF ablation in the future.
Just needed to get that off my chest.

Feb 08, 2016 3:05 PM

Whatever you end up doing, I hope it brings you some relief.

Feb 09, 2016 12:43 AM

I'm still trying to get my head wrapped around it, hence the reason why I am up at 1:45 am.

Feb 09, 2016 6:56 PM

Amanda, it happened to me, but in the opposite way. Last January the orthopaedic doc asked me when I wanted to accessible knee surgery to remove the bone spur. I told him I had too much going on and needed to go to Mayo first, and he said OK. Then I went back in August to get it scheduled and he looked at me and said, "I'm not doing surgery on you because you have too many dx issues, and you're already on a cane." I told him the cane was support for the knee buckling due to the bone spur, just as much as it was too help with my imbalance. He said he didn't care why I was using it, he wouldn't do surgery.

I'm now under a different Ortho doc. He said they don't do surgery for bone spurs until it's to the point of a TKR. He's putting me through more PT for the OA in the left hip & knee that's causing mobility issues. The old doc didn't think I needed PT. Lol I hope you take your time making your decision. Hugs, love, & prayers it all goes well for you! 🙂🙏💕🌼

Feb 09, 2016 7:23 PM

Flappys, at this point I'm inclined to wait. I can still function at this point in time, albeit slowly. I really need to get some of the weight off first before I even come to that point. When I get to that point, I'm thinking I possibly need to go with a neurosurgeon already. Something just did not sit well with me on the whole thing. I knew the conversation would come up because pain management and I discussed it before hand, but I'm just not ready for it. And I also don't want to take a chance with it anyway because of the chronic mrsa infections. It scares me because that's what almost killed my grandmother. She got a severe mrsa infection in her spinal hard wear and I don't want to risk that.

Feb 09, 2016 7:25 PM

He did also suggest doing a radio frequency ablation of the facet joints, but again, I need to put that on hold until I can get the mrsa stuff under control.

Ready to start relieving your pain?

Join Community