Learn from patients with pain similar to yours

CatchMyPain Community and Pain Diary App to manage chronic illness

Hello im new.

Oct 11, 2015 6:15 PM

Hi all. I just joined. I live in the UK. I'm guessing this is mainly people from the US on here & we often have different names of meds, but I'll try my best to keep up. I'm 42 & was only diagnosed less than a year ago, but had symptoms for over 30 years. Already tried some of the fibro meds, Amitriptyline, Gabapentin & Lyrica, but had to stop because of side effects. Them effecting my heart being the worst one. Not sure what else to try. Any ideas?

Oct 11, 2015 6:27 PM

Hi firestorm and welcome to our community family. There are people from all over the world on this site. If you search through the posts, there is one titled something like where are you all from.. There are many from the UK, Australia, Scotland, Ireland among others. As you settle in, you will find more and more people to speak to and many that may have resources helpful to you in the UK. I'm glad that you found us. This is a very diverse and wonderful group of caring and compassionate people. There are never any judgements here. You can come here without worry and vent, ask questions, cry, laugh, whatever and there will never be any judgements. We all understand the ramifications of chronic pain and the effect it has on your body mind and soul, (not to mention, relationships). This app and community has been a Godsend to me and I hope that it's the same for you. I have DDD,
DJD, Cervical Spondalytic Myelopathy, Long Thoracic Nerve Palsy, Sciatica, SI Joint Disfunction with fractures, bi lateral Valgus deformities of both knees, no recognizable shoulder joint on the left side, spinal spondylosis, and approximately another 8 or more diseases and diagnosis that cause horrible pain. Know that you will never be alone. There will always be someone here when you need us. Any one of us is just a mere keystroke away. I wish you all the best and you will be in my prayers. πŸŒ»πŸ™πŸ»

Oct 11, 2015 6:29 PM

I had a crazy rapid heart rate (resting) on nortriptylane, not sure if that's what you had with the meds you tried. I tried to start Lyrica and neurontin but they made me feel terrible. Did you get any relief or just side effects? I wish I could offer med suggestions but we're all so different--other people here will probably have ideas and there are some posts about meds that you might look through to get more information. Welcome, I hope you find help and support here.

Oct 11, 2015 6:59 PM

Welcome to our family of chronic pain. There are a lot of very caring and compassionate people here. This is a no judgment zone, you can rant and rave all you need to. There is someone here all the time if you need to talk. I live in East Texas. I have a Syrinx inside my Spinal Cord, it causes Syringomyelia, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis, Herniated disk with a uprooted nerve, Spinal Spondylosis, Type 2 Diabetes, High Blood Pessure and several others.

Oct 11, 2015 7:01 PM

I know that many people with autoimmune or conic pain have acid reflux and ibs. I myself, do. I was watching a TV episode of Bones. They mentioned a magnesium deficiency that caused muscle spasms and tremors. All of the acid reducers create magnesium deficits. I started taking the supplements. Vast improvement. This is a master mineral. It is involved in almost all body systems. You can also get this in a spray or have a hot soak in the tub with Epsom salts. Ad the water cools magnesium is absorbed through the skin.

Oct 11, 2015 7:06 PM

I take Gabapentin 800 mg 4 x day, Savella 50 mg 2x day, I tried Lyrica but it didn't work for me. Fentonyl patches 50 mg x 3 days, Hyrocodone / ACETAMINOPHEN 325 / 7.5 every 6 hrs as needed for pain.

Oct 11, 2015 7:13 PM

I take nothing, unless pressed beyond enduance. I don't think that I suffer as much as most of you do. I have fibro. And severe stenosis of 5 vertebrae in my c spine. My spinal cord is also being tightly pressed. They don't believe I am getting enough spinal fluid to my brain. This causes daily headaches and various body parts are affected without warning. I also f
eel vague mentally .

Oct 11, 2015 9:45 PM

Welcome to our growing community family Firestorm! I'm from USA-GA. I have been dealing with chronic health issues 25+ years, but the most recent are fibro, sjogrens, hypothyroidism, tremors, imbalance, memory loss, and vertigo/dizziness. I've learned so much from others about alternatives treatments, like Magnesium supplements (thanks for the additional info Alvinant!). I have allergies to so many pain meds that I use Tylenol, Aleve, voltaren gel or nothing mostly. When it's bad I use Tramadol or Parafon forte muscle relaxers. I've trained myself to tolerate as much as possible, but some days I just can't. Exercising lightly helps my pain but over exertion makes it worse. I've had to learn to pace myself, and to allow myself lazy days to recuperate from flares without feeling guilty. Good luck and best wishes settling in. We are all just a keystroke away. Hugs and a prayer for you! πŸ™πŸŒΌ

Oct 11, 2015 9:54 PM

I also use a lot of ice packs. Ice is the most powerful pain killer. You can make your own with rubbing alcohol and water. In zip lock bags.

Oct 11, 2015 10:12 PM

Ice isn't well tolerated anymore so I use rice poured into socks and frozen, it works the same but doesn't stay cold as long, maybe 15 minutes before refreezing. They can also be microwaved.

Oct 11, 2015 10:43 PM

Fire, I personally don't have fibro but my neice does and she has a "new age" doctor. He took her off refined sugar, wheat product and all the meds she was on. She now only eats organic and grows her own chicken and eggs. He has her using essential oils and she is truly a new person.

Oct 11, 2015 11:05 PM

Welcome Firestorm. I'm relatively new here also, and I'm finding the pain chart and community are great. I have RA and fibromyalgia, degenerative disk disease, IBS, and a slight curve in my tailbone. Plus osteoarthritis and various other junk. I live near Seattle, Washington, in the northwest corner of the US, with my daughter, nearly 4-year-old granddaughter, three cats and a golden retriever puppy. ☺️

Oct 12, 2015 2:11 AM

Thanks for the welcome guys. Sorry to of posted & run. I spontaneously decided to post right on bedtime.
I have fibromyalgia, osteoarthritis, raynauds, diverticular disease, curved spine & probably a few others I can't remember lol. I am also as yet un diagnosed ADHD or ASD. My daughter is dx & I have several unofficial dx myself, just not perused assessment yet, if it's worth it.

It is the crazy rapid heart thing Marsemouse mentioned that I had on the meds I tried, plus anxiety & panic attacks too. The amitriptyline was by far the worst offender & offered no redeeming features whatsoever. Gabapentin helped my pain in a seemingly miraculous way, but had a numerous side effects, including the rapid heart. Lyrica also helped with pain but gave me rapid heart, hot flushes & I gained 2 stone (28lb) in a few months on it. I was gutted when I had to come off of it.

I'm currently taking co-codamol, methocarbamol muscle relaxants, stomach protection & ibuprofen, plus heat & cold. I also have vitamin D & magniseum, when I remember to take them.

Oct 12, 2015 4:46 AM

Hello and welcome. I'm in a different boat, but gabapentin really screwed me up so now on pregablin which works wonders for me (assuming that you can live with the foggy head).

Unfortunately that's all I can bring to this question and wish you luck :-)

Oct 12, 2015 8:09 AM

Hey, I'm in uk, Bristol. Can't help with meds as I'm still looking for one that will take my pain away. Xx

Ready to start relieving your pain?

Join Community