Learn from patients with pain similar to yours

CatchMyPain Community and Pain Diary App to manage chronic illness

Help

Jun 28, 2015 9:53 PM

I have had severe pain for the last few months which has returned after being in remission for a few months. The pain is so bad tonight that I cannot fall asleep, each movement feels like a dagger. I can only fall asleep on my stomach but it is only making the pain worse. Any suggestions to relieve pain quickly would be helpful. I'm using a heating pad as we speak and I cannot take medication as I have already taken my pain meds.

Jun 28, 2015 10:00 PM

Try to get comfy in a recliner if you have one. Sit in a dark and quiet room and do some relaxing breathing and as you exhale each time, try to relax your body parts from your head, down to your feet.... Listen to your favorite quiet music and try to get lost in the music. I hope that is helpful.

Jun 29, 2015 12:17 AM

If you have any Oct rubs,creams or roll on's.I also use rice packs throw them in the microwave for 3 min they stay warm a long time. I pray you get easy soon and get some sleep

Jun 29, 2015 12:37 AM

This will not be useful tonight, but since they are selling them over the counter now, it can be very helpful when you have already taken your pain medication. When you are in this much pain after taking this much medication and you can't function or sleep, a T.E.N.S UNIT really help. I know that does not help you now but on another night, it can be a lifesaver.

Jun 29, 2015 7:37 AM

Ask your doctor to prescribe Voltaren gel. Until then use OTC ointments, ice packs, hearing pads, and massages. The heating pad may be aggravating the pain. Have you tried ice? Like Weezie suggested, rice in a knotted tube sock, or stitched washcloths works better than actual ice for me. The ice itself is painful due to the intense, almost burning cold. But the rice packs are not. Praying for you to get relief soon! 🙏🌼

Jun 29, 2015 3:17 PM

ChronicG have you managed to get some sleep? How are you?

Jun 29, 2015 3:21 PM

I was tossing and turning and trying different things for a while and I think the exhaustion (and my meds) killed in and I finally fell asleep. I had to work today so now my hip is even more sore and painful. My mom said that if it doesn't go away in the next few weeks, we will call and orthopaedic surgeon as it could be a reault from my surgery. I've had this pain for about 3 months and it fluctuates but hopefully I will get answers soon. Thank you everyone for your advice and concern!

Jun 29, 2015 8:02 PM

I wouldn't wait a few weeks before I called the orthopaedic Surgeon. If it is a result from your surgery, you want to get it checked sooner than later. I wouldn't wait any longer than another week, if that long. Don't suffer needlessly, call the doctor, get in to see him/her and get the help that you need. Remember, if you can't get any rest, your body can't heal. I wish the very best for you and hope you get the help you need.

Jun 29, 2015 8:17 PM

I am caught in this weird spot. I'm over a year post op and my orthopaedic surgeon and surgery was at a children's hospital but now I'm over 18 and cannot go back there and can no longer be his patient. I am going to try and see a highly recommended orthopaedic surgeon at a general hospital but I need to go through the whole referral system again. It may take a while but my mom and I are going to try and start to process as soon as possible, hopefully this week.

Jun 29, 2015 8:31 PM

Make sure the first thing you do is call the doctor's office of the surgeon that took care of you a year ago and get ALL of your medical records from him/her and then also have them include the surgical notes and any other office notes from your follow ups. It will be of great assistance to the new doctor to be able to have this information when they see you as it will give them somewhere to start from so they can try to move forward from where you are now and provide some kind of relief. I wish you all the very best.

Jun 29, 2015 9:18 PM

I agree with Alwayz get all of your medical history from the surgeon. That way who ever you see will have all of your information. Also don't forget any x-rays, MRI's,Cat San that you had done.

Jun 30, 2015 9:24 PM

Trey to sleep elevated and with ur legs elevated...this might relieve some of the pressure.

Jun 30, 2015 10:16 PM

Thank you both. I've been sleeping without a pillow for my had and using it between my knees which seems to be helping. I'm also avoiding sleeping on the side that hurts and as hard as it is, staying on my back. Going to lay low for the next few weeks and keep up with documenting pain while waiting for a Dr

Jul 01, 2015 10:31 AM

What I find really help is find your sofa, lie on the floor and keep your legs up as if you are sitting down against the floor. Basically back to floor and your legs resting (knee below) rests on the sofa. I do that when meds aren't helping at all.

Jul 09, 2015 5:09 AM

That is a great idea!! It does help to take pressure off and decompress the spine. I wish I could do it but I can't get down on the floor any more, I can't get up from it either so that isn't something I can look forward to any more.

Jul 09, 2015 6:27 AM

That's me AlwayZ... If I could lay down then I wouldn't be able to get back up! 🙏🌼

Jul 09, 2015 6:36 AM

I use a natural aid Arnicare Gel which helps, it might help you!

Oct 26, 2015 7:09 PM

You need to try a tens unit.

Ready to start relieving your pain?

Join Community