Learn from patients with pain similar to yours

CatchMyPain Community and Pain Diary App to manage chronic illness

Help! Not an emergency

Feb 06, 2016 7:20 PM

Hi everyone,
Still trying to recover from this past Tuesday's procedure. Ran into an issue that I'm not exactly sure what to do. My wound which had been in the process of closing, decided to give way this afternoon. No cellulitis, fever, chills, anything that would send me to the ER over the weekend. I do have an appointment with Infectious Disease on Tuesday morning. My question is, should I just wait for him to evaluate it or do I need to go ahead and contact the surgeons office on Monday? My thought is to just wait on it, but wanted to see what others suggest. Not draining at the moment, just open and quite sore still. Yes, I do have it covered with a Tegaderm at the moment.

Feb 06, 2016 10:06 PM

Can you call the hospital to ask questions? There should be someone there who can help? Or your docs emergency line? I'm not a doctor but if it is open it may not heal as quickly and it may be more susceptible to infection... I hate to call docs after hours but some things are important.

Feb 07, 2016 3:06 AM

Yes, err on the side of caution, I think. Take care of you and don't worry that you're "bothering" a professional. If something should go wrong it could happen very, very quickly. Best hopes.

Ready to start relieving your pain?

Join Community