Learn from patients with pain similar to yours

CatchMyPain Community and Pain Diary App to manage chronic illness

Hi! New here

Jun 24, 2015 9:08 PM

Saw a consultant rheumatologist last Thursday who is pretty sure I have fibro. I'm 28 years old with two children and live in the UK. Currently can't sleep but can't get up either...

Jun 24, 2015 9:51 PM

Welcome SMCS3813! I'm sorry you have fibro so young, and with little ones to raise. Do you know what's specifically keeping you awake? Is it insomnia, joint pain, muscle spasms, etc, or a combination?

Some nights I have tender points and arches, some nights cramping and spasms, of insomnia, and on bad nights all of it. My doc recently diagnosed me with hypothyroidism and sjogrens, both which share common symptoms with fibro. Just before the sjogrens dx (diagnosis) my fatigue was getting out of control, as was the pain. I'm now on Plaquenil and have had a small improvement. But the rheumy doc said it could take 6 more for full effect.

To relax and take your mind off try deep breathing relaxation, music, TV, reading, etc. Use heating &/or ice packs, ointment rubs, warm shower or baths. I hope you find this community as helpful and compassionate as I have. ((Hugs)) & prayers! 🙏🌼

Jun 25, 2015 1:14 AM

Thankyou so much for your reply. Ive just woken up after finally falling asleep about 4am (it's now 7am) I've got work today where I'm on my feet all day. It was insomnia and being uncomfortable that kept me awake.
My pain doesn't yet get very very severe, although does make me walk silly sometimes.
Is this a problem that always gets worse? Or can some people have it quite mildly?
Hugs, and take care xxx

Jun 25, 2015 10:24 PM

Pain and my bladder are my sleep issues. I walk with an imbalance but don't know if it's from fibromyalgia or not. They also don't know where the tremors are from, so they've referred me to Mayo clinic's movement disorder address. I'm just waiting on the appt. My tremors and imbalance are worsening.

My psych doc said to do the following to improve my sleep and reduce my insomnia:

1-get on a regular schedule of going to bed and getting up at the same time 7 days a week, even if I didn't sleep well
2-use the bed for sleep; no reading, TV, eating, phone talk, etc
3-if I wake, give myself twenty min to talk asleep (guesstimate time, clock watching increases anxiety... Set alarm and turn clock away from view)
4-use melatonin to help get sleepy again, 3 mg of less, keep beside bed
5-if can't fall back to sleep then get out of bed and read or watch tv until sleepy again.

I hope you can get better sleep tonight. When I don't sleep it makes my pain worse. 🙏🌼

Ready to start relieving your pain?

Join Community