Learn from patients with pain similar to yours

CatchMyPain Community and Pain Diary App to manage chronic illness

hump in my upperback

Aug 07, 2015 10:28 PM

I have a horrible large hump in my upper back that hurts like hell!! Since I went 15 yrs with an unknowning broken vertabra in t4 I have a hump back. From the middleof back to up into my neck base. Does anyone have any suggestion for pain in ur upper back? I can't stand it anymore....

Aug 07, 2015 10:34 PM

The only thing i can suggest would be a tens machine. Sorry

Aug 08, 2015 5:47 PM

Tens, heat or ice, voltaren gel. Has a doctor looked at it recently? Maybe it's a disc out of place. 🙏🌼

Aug 10, 2015 11:48 PM

Before I had my first back surgery I was getting a hunch back that was pretty pronounced. The surgeon said it was from going so long with the broken vertebrae it made it impossible for me to stand straight. So he put the rods from my fusion all the way to my neck to try to "straighten me up" well not a success. I'm more hunchbacked than before which is 90% of my pain. And also from going so long with the broken vertrabra I also have extreme lower back pain from favoring it to make up for my upper back pain. The surgeon said he did all he could but I am so miserable I can't imaging living like this for ever. I have tried everything! Ice, tens unit, physical therapy, heat wraps everything. Isn't there something that can help???

Aug 11, 2015 5:43 AM

noodles13, it breaks my heart to hear you are suffering so. I wish I had an answer for you. Have you tried meditation. I'm trying to get better at it myself because of my overwhelming anxiety along with a very high pain level. Sometimes I can get lost in music and other times I can't. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Aug 11, 2015 6:05 AM

Oh goodness Noodles13! If he put rides up to the neck to straighten your back then he put your spine in an unnatural position. Our spine should curve backwards slightly at the shoulders and forwards above the buttocks. I don't know if rods can be removed, but at the least you might want to consider seeing a spine specialist somewhere else to get a second opinion.

I would think the more relaxed you can be the less tension you will have in all your muscles, using muscle relaxers & relaxation techniques, which might help maintain a lower level of the pain. Have you tried physical therapy with someone who works with abnormal spine curvatures? And maybe incorporate multiple methods together? I'm really at a loss for suggestions. But at the least if it were me I would see another doctor. You will be in my thoughts and prayers, that someone will be able to bring your more relief. 🙏🌼

Ready to start relieving your pain?

Join Community