Learn from patients with pain similar to yours

CatchMyPain Community and Pain Diary App to manage chronic illness

I can't walk!

Jun 17, 2016 6:17 AM

So my partner and I decided to go out for dinner as my back has been feeling good for the last 2 days. So off we went, I was walking normally, nice dinner was had when suddenly my leg have up on me. I felt like I was dragging a ton of weight with my left leg, it would not even bent. Poor BF had to semi carry me from the restaurant to home! I hate limping in public, I really want to be walking normally. BF said people stare at me because I was cute not because I was limping... Bless his cotton socks!

Jun 17, 2016 11:43 AM

My legs are unreliable, too. I lip often and even have to use a wheelchair sometimes. People stare, you'll never change that. All you can change is your attitude about it. Stare back with a smile. Answer the questions of little kids (Are your legs broken or just lazy?) with kindness and people will remember you as being kind, not as the lady with the limp.

Jun 17, 2016 12:26 PM

I'm sorry it happened, but at least you have a great supporting bf. Has this happened before? If not, or you don't know why this happens you should let your doctor know. FatigueFighter has great advice on responding to others. Hugs & prayers for you! πŸ™‚πŸ’•πŸ™πŸŒΌ

Jun 17, 2016 4:20 PM

That was a great Advice, fatiguefighter! I will do that from now on. Yes happened before, somehow my leg decided to have its own mind at nighttime. It makes it difficult to plan anything at night . But I still do things at night anyway, go to dinner or see my friends, with a warning that I will be limping in front of them. It's really strange that I can walk normally in the morning and can barely walk at night.

Jun 17, 2016 6:36 PM

Your bf is great. Very supportive. The same happens to me every time i go out. Now what i do is to plan my journey: think about how long it'll take me to get to where am going, i take breaks every 15min ( wherever i can sit, i would), Get a bottle of water as i always dehydrated and out of breath. I limp all the times, and people always ask why, my reply is " my legs hurt, simple as that" i cant b bothered explaining the reason, they wont understand anyways... People stare but i dnt care...

Jun 17, 2016 10:07 PM

No reason for you to have to explain. I am starting to care less about what other people say or when they stare also. I saw another orthopedist today who does not know why my foot continues to hurt. Another disappointment and frustration. I guess it's building up my skin.

Jun 17, 2016 10:24 PM

Aww, my legs give out on me, it is terrifying!

Jun 17, 2016 11:31 PM

My wife does the same when we're out for walks or even getting from house to car to go out. And I to always have the woundering and hate that people are watching me but slowly trying to ignore it and walk my own way.

Jun 17, 2016 11:53 PM

It must be terrifying when that happens for you. For me, it's everyday life being quadriplegic. Don't care what anyone else thinks!., they are probably not going through what you are,but remember, unfortunately, we are just human, and by our very nature we are inquisitive creatures! You have every right to walk,or limp or have to be dragged from place to place when every day the pain can do things like make your legs give out

Jun 20, 2016 12:50 PM

@Exrockclimber, my legs are always more tired in the afternoon & evenings than in the mornings; so I'd my whole body. But I have a circulation issue in my pelvis and legs the doc says is a contributing factor. I've been in compression stockings for over a year, and although it doesn't alleviate it does help.

Jun 23, 2016 8:32 PM

Thanks for the comments guys. I just had my cortisone injection last Monday - so far no changes yet to happen but I'm crossing my fingers.πŸ‘

Jun 23, 2016 11:05 PM

I am 43 and have used a cane for 2 years. My husband is pretty good, but wouldn't carry me.

Jun 25, 2016 12:47 PM

My husband would break his back trying to carry me...lol...lol again at the visual..i am as tall as he is and weigh more...funny visual... so I am having to use a cane more for my left hip...omg, I will move normally and then poof!😡sharp very sharp pain and I stand there until I can wobble again...so I have a cane. Yep...no big deal. We all have to have help..even the normal people...love, Terri

Jun 25, 2016 1:05 PM

U seem to b blessed with a great support system I know it can b frustrating and even embarrassing at times but remember to just pace yourself and thank God for the blessed man that u have supporting u

Jun 25, 2016 3:45 PM

sounds like you have a great guy! I'm happy for you. My legs like to give out on me too. Many times I've been helped out of stores, restaurants, from the car to the house. I never really know when it's going to happen but I just try to pay close attention to how my legs are acting before I even go out. I plan my outings around my legs lol It sucks but my kids and dad are great and don't delay in helping me if I need it! It is very embarrassing though. I hate for people I know to see it.

Jun 25, 2016 9:39 PM

I'm the same! I do have to plan where I can go but sometimes I miscalculated what my leg will do later on. It is a bit of a hassle to plan around my pain, but I'll be damn if I give up and miss out on good things in life. So far it hasn't stopped me going anywhere (except travelling)

Jun 26, 2016 6:52 PM

Good for you! Mine has kept me from plenty unfortunately. I need to worry less and enjoy more but.....

Ready to start relieving your pain?

Join Community