Learn from patients with pain similar to yours

CatchMyPain Community and Pain Diary App to manage chronic illness

Insomnia

Dec 30, 2015 4:01 AM

I've been having really bad insomnia lately, I really struggle getting to sleep then wake up an hour later wide awake... I'm exhausted and I can tell my boyfriend is getting fed up with him and is getting really tired as well. Any advice on how to get some sleep? Usually my painkillers help but they've done nothing and have been giving me a sore stomach instead :(

Dec 30, 2015 8:31 AM

I've been having major sleep issues as well lately and it really sucks..have you tried Melatonin.. I also use an app on my phone called relax melodies and its surprisingly helpful.. Even if I don't get real deep sleep I do get some rest and even that is better it seems than nothing.. I hope you find something that works for you soon..

Dec 30, 2015 9:21 AM

I've tried the relaxation CDs and I can't get to sleep with them 😔 I've been so tired today that I hope I sleep. Going to try get to the doctors after new year when they open up again. I'm just so tired I'm getting emotional all the time and I'm so grouchy as well

Dec 30, 2015 9:31 AM

I hate how it feels not to be able to fall asleep. Your body feels exhausted, but somehow your brain won't relax. That's how it is for me anyway. I also can't stay in one position for more than 30 minutes, so I end up tossing and turning all night long trying to get comfy. Here are my tips:
1. Make sure the room is as dark as possible
2. Use a body pillow to support yourself
3. Use a heat pad on low to sooth any aching parts
4. I take Melatonin and 25 mg of Benadryl (which is an OTC antihistamine) to help with sleep. I would check with your MD before adding meds into your routine though.
5. If you have pets, don't let them sleep in your bed. Any pet movement can disturb the sleep you are getting.

That's my routine anyway. Lol. It works sometimes, but I am super grateful for the sleep I do get.

Dec 30, 2015 9:31 AM

I turn into the worst raging B when I don't get sleep..it feels like your brain is trying to scratch its way out of your skull {{hugs}}

Dec 30, 2015 12:27 PM

Fibro0195, I'm sorry this is causing you problems. Luckily being 54, and married 34 years, my hubby and I sleep in separate beds. He snores even with the cpap machine. And I toss and turn and sleep restlessly. And having fallen asleep, I do not need cold air blowing down my back if he turns in my direction! Lol 🤒🙏🌼

Dec 30, 2015 1:12 PM

I have books audible that help me relax. It doesn't always work either I hate taking sleeping pills but sometimes they are a necessary, i most often cut them in half. Talk to your dr, insomnia is something that unfortunately comes with fibro!! Hate it!

Dec 30, 2015 1:17 PM

Sleep is extremely important for all of us.. It can make or break your efforts for any day . Rest , try to not focus on I gotta get some sleep.... When I stress about not sleeping it gets waaaaay worse. Oh I knowit sounds simple, its not... But relax.. Just rest... (Hopefully, you will relax enough and just fall asleep)/Love and Blessings, Terri

Dec 30, 2015 7:00 PM

I either sleep too much or not at all. I take Trazedone in an effort to sleep normally. It's helped immensely, but the past few days I've been sleeping at night, going to give my grandma her meds and coming home and falling in the bed and sleeping all day. Still feel heavy and underwater even though I'm sleeping all the time it feels like. If it's not one thing, it's another. Omg do I ever stop complaining? I'm the biggest whiner on here and still fairly new. Sorry sorry

Dec 30, 2015 7:39 PM

Phoenix..I'll tell u what I was told when I first came. U don't have to apologize here for letting your heart out. We are here to listen to support and to encourage. U are not a whinner. Yiu are frustrated and just want someone to hear you. And we do. We hear you.
I wish I had your sleeping to much gene..I have to fight for every minute if sleep I get. Mostly cause I live with two elderly parent who act more like 4 yr olds at times. And I know a lot of people here r tried of hearing bout my family and our issue's . although ii also know I can always find an ear and a kind word and really some of the best advice here.

Dec 30, 2015 8:23 PM

Many people find relief from diphenhydramine, aka benadryl. Almost all otc sleep meds are simply antihistamines. But, I don't care for it, makes me wake up groggy and out of it.

I latet found out that Unisom can be found either with diphenhydramine or doxylamine (I always read the labels). They're both antihistamines and I won't go into the pharmacological differences, lol, but I will say, in my experience, doxylamine works much better than diphenhydramine. Also, doesn't have that next day grogginess associated with diphenhydramine.

I do hope you find relief soon. You'll be in my thoughts.

Dec 30, 2015 11:56 PM

I have problems falling asleep and waking to pee and turn through out the night. I am thankful for the sleep I have been getting in the past month. I have been taking Melatonin, clonazepam for a while, but acupuncture in the past two months i think this has helped me. I feel like I am at a different level of sleep and feel a little rested when waking in morning. I still wake up to pee multiple times and to turn. Then fall back to sleep quite quickly. I listen to Jim Gaffigan, nothing to excitable, throughout the night as a white noise through earphones. I don't eat before bed. I limit my caffeine to 1-2 cups a day before 2 pm. I try to stay up all day, except if I need to sleep it happens. I meditate for 15-30 per day. Beets.

Dec 31, 2015 12:20 AM

I also take kava kava.
Beets.

Dec 31, 2015 9:19 AM

BeetsRGood, I'm exactly the same way; waking to change positions or pee. 😷🙏🌼

Jan 01, 2016 6:32 PM

Same here. I just feel like I'm always so exhausted. Plus I have an irritating sore under my tongue... I get these stupid caller sores that making eating unpleasant. guessing because my meds make my mouth dry. I fell asleep this morning and forgot to take my pain pills. Plus (sorry for the TMI ) I had a VERY fun night last night which I an paying for heavily today. The pain has gotten in front and I can't rein it in. I did discover something cool.... Sex endorphins kill or completely mask the pain for a while. I got a whole two hours or so without pain!! Don't they have something to mimic that??? Cuz I would do a lot of things to get that again. As fun as it would be, I'm afraid sex 24/7 just isn't doable at this time LMAO now once the activity is done and you catch your breath, the pain train catches up with you and adds exponentially.... but I'd do it again!!! And again and again lol

Jan 01, 2016 10:41 PM

I alternate between a week of Valerian, and a week of Phenibut, and have been sleeping at least a few days out of the week.
Valerian is pretty common, and I switched to it when melatonin started waking me up more often than making me sleepy. It makes me hallucinate slightly, but basically that means I start dreaming before I get in bed. My one problem with Valerian is I have 15 minutes from the time I take the pill until I am in bed. Any longer and I may as well not have taken it.
Phenibut is something my dad ordered from a bulk supplement company online because it's cheap and whatever research he read seemed credible. It makes me just relax, although differently than with kava kava root. When I take it, I'm less sensitive to noises and feel a little bit...lighter. Less stressed, more comfy. So I usually sleep really well with it. The one thing is if I go to bed really late with Phenibut, and don't get enough sleep, then I can really feel it in the morning.
Exercise early in the day has helped, even if it's just stretches or bouncing on a yoga ball. It also helps not to have a wailing cat (not yours) beneath your floorboards....

Phoenix, I've noticed the same thing, although I couldn't for awhile when my entire body hurt to much to move at all.

Jan 02, 2016 2:31 PM

I'm headed into steroid induced insomnia. I dozed in and out last night from midnight to 5 am, and just got up at 6:30. There's no hope for tonight if it does me like usual. Not looking forward to 7 more days on it! 😷🙏🌼

Jan 02, 2016 2:44 PM

I've had insomnia since 2004. I practically have to use elephant tranquilizer to get to sleep. I take 10mg Ambien on an empty stomach and I'm out within 15 mins. But sometimes, that doesn't work either.

Jan 03, 2016 9:23 AM

I have been this way for a week now. I know how you feel. I would love to have sleep for more than a hour

Jan 06, 2016 7:07 PM

I am still struggling with it, I've been having major flare ups of my fibro since I lost my dad in October. And over Christmas has been hard and I've barely slept. I've been becoming so irritable and can't stop crying. Still barely sleeping and can't get to the doctors till next week... Can't cope with no sleep anymore

Jan 10, 2016 6:38 AM

Have you spoken to any grief counseling? Maybe talk to your doctor about these feelings, depression and grief and flares go hand in hand, each one affects the other.I am so sorry about losing your daddy...I know it is so hard. Please surround yourself with people that love you and talk to your doctor or any practiononer about these feelings. You will feel better , this will pass, I encourage you to only surround yourself with people that Love you and provide encouragement. Talk with us, text me anytime 903-714-1644. Much love and blessings, Terri

Jan 10, 2016 5:35 PM

I was struggling with insomnia, due to pain, from 2008 until 2014. It had become severe the last year and my doctor had increased the Ambien to 10 mg, but I started having bad side effects. We discussed changing to another sleep med. But I decided I wanted to be weaned, because I recognized I was very dependent on it to sleep at all, yet it wasn't working.

With help from my psychiatrist I came off of the Ambien, tripled the dose of my antidepressant, and used melatonin to help me adjust. I still need to use a melatonin just to fall asleep, or to fall back to sleep several times a month. I reduced most caffeine from my diet, and none after 2 pm. I don't watch any intense show within 2 hours of bed, and I play relaxation music to fall asleep. I also try to keep our of drama or let anything trigger my anxiety (sometimes it's impossible). I also try not to nap in the day, unless I'm sick or in a flair.

I don't ever have 7+ hours of uninterrupted sleep (not since my 2-30s), but most nights I get at least 4-5 hours before I wake up. Then the rest of the night is broken sleep or insomnia. Last night I didn't fall asleep until after 1:30 am and I was awake at 7:00 am. But when I remember how bad my sleep was 2 years ago... the lifestyle changes have made a major difference for me. I know none of us are alike;; what works for one may not work for another. But I truly wish it could for you all, like it did me! Hugs & prayers for some Zzzzzzz relief soon! 😷🙏🌼

Ready to start relieving your pain?

Join Community