Learn from patients with pain similar to yours

CatchMyPain Community and Pain Diary App to manage chronic illness

Insomnia

Oct 24, 2016 2:46 AM

Does anyone suffer from pain and insomnia? What treatments have worked for you?

Oct 24, 2016 6:09 AM

All the time! Have multiple options, depending on the time, location of pain and what I need to do the following day..

Oct 24, 2016 8:39 AM

Hi Julie
I don't think I had the opportunity to welcome you to the group. :)
I also deal with insomnia. What does help me is taking a muscle relaxer at bedtime. Doing some gentle stretches before bedtime and sometimes a softer music (I like Celtic Woman) or a non Drama book. Lol. If it's high drama then I can't sleep until I know everyone's OK. Silly, I know. :)

Oct 24, 2016 10:57 AM

Welcome JulieK! I've suffered insomnia since 2007. For many years I used a prescription sleep med, but became so dependent we kept having to increase the dose. I finally weaned off it through melatonin & antidepressants. I also made lifestyle changes like no drama shows, phone convos or books before bedtime (not silly at all Mimikay😉), and relaxation music with gentle stretches. I've most recently begun to seclude myself, to read, one hour before my hubby comes to bed so that my body & mind totally relaxes. And occasionally I do need an anxiety pill or muscle relaxer, or both in a flare up. Hugs love & prayers you can start sleeping better soon! 🙂💕🙏🌸

Oct 24, 2016 1:53 PM

Hi, I have this all the time. One of my nighttime meds, amitriptyline helps me go to sleep but after 2 or 3 hours I'm wide awake again till its time to get up!
I've recently purchased an electric diffuser and I mix a few drops of lavender essential oil to try to help relax me so the sleep I get seems to be a little better (I feel it helps but it might just be psychological).
My mum can't understand how I'm awake most nights as she's on a quarter of the amitriptyline and it knocks her out for a good 7-8 hours. Mum has spondylitis in her neck.
I hope you're able to find something that helps you, it'll be a lot of trial and error until you do.
{{{HUGS}}}

Oct 24, 2016 3:08 PM

The colder the room the better, yes use e oils, soft music with a sleep timer so I don't fret about when to turn off. Also some docs that treat brain injuries say to have all electronic things at least 10 feet from the bed. So use a wind up alarm, the ticking eases too. If you use pandora or a tablet to read or listen to the music it is more relaxing to move it 10 feet from the bed. These are the one s I have tried that do work. Also, writing down your thoughts that are troubling you gets rid of them until the next day, thats why I blog.

Ready to start relieving your pain?

Join Community