Learn from patients with pain similar to yours

CatchMyPain Community and Pain Diary App to manage chronic illness

Insomnia

Dec 20, 2016 7:47 PM

It's 01.40 am here in a cold dark and rainy Scotland and I'm wide awake. Insomnia has reared his ugly head again, 😡 this is the 4th night in a row that he has been about.
I've had next to no pain meds due to having to drive (as you all already know) so I'm in a bad way with the pain too.
I think I'm feeling a little sorry for myself if I'm honest. I'm tired and crabbit so it's going to be a great day tomorrow at this rate.
Does anyone have any suggestions or tips to help to tet and settle or even sleep?

Dec 20, 2016 11:39 PM

You could drink yourself to sleep 😃 jk..what part of scotland?idk your laws over there i think kratom is legal tho it wont help u tonyt but its natural and will help next time better than pain meds imo

Dec 20, 2016 11:56 PM

Have you tried a magnesium supplement? Read this post I found it quite interesting.....

http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/3311795

Dec 20, 2016 11:59 PM

Sezzy a family member told me bout that he used it.my dr said it would only be beneficial for muscle pain

Dec 21, 2016 12:05 AM

A lot of people on here also recommend it for muscular pain.

Sozki I'm doing a little bit of research as I'm having a lot of muscle twitches and pain as well as painsomnia. That post I accidentally come across earlier in the night so I thought it might help for sleep as well.
At this moment in time where more than an hour or two of sleep is a luxury anything, even if it only adds another hour might be worth looking into!

Dec 21, 2016 12:07 AM

Oh ya magnesium helps with sleep funny u say that im having my magmesium levels tested tomorrow so ill see if im deficient etc

Dec 21, 2016 12:09 AM

Plus Cinders49 is suffering a lot of pain, if some of it is muscular then magnesium should help a little with that as well

Dec 21, 2016 12:14 AM

Epsom bath salts also help relax tired, tense and painful muscles if you soak in a hot bath with 1-2 cups of the salts for at least 20 minutes so your more relaxed and may help you drift off to sleep sooner. I try to do this at least twice a week

Dec 21, 2016 12:44 AM

There's also vitam D

http://www.healthline.com/health/food-nutrition/benefits-vitamin-d#Intake0

Dec 21, 2016 12:51 AM

I'm sure there'll be more people along later today who'll be able to offer you more.

I hope you're able to find some relief for your pain and some good quality sleep.

Sending you { { { BIG GENTLE HEALING LOVING HUGS } } } XX

Dec 21, 2016 1:08 AM

I'd be opting for natural suppliments and advice.

Sometimes it's just your body telling us we're not that tired.

All these new age gadgets measuring sleep and amount required are all baloney.

Just listen to your body and relax.

Meditation apps are very useful. They train controlled breathing and relaxation.

Dec 21, 2016 2:10 AM

Mikey114 my suggestions are for supplements and the Epsom salts are natural as well which came from the advice of a lot of people here plus my doctor and after using them I have found that yes they do indeed work for relaxing muscles.

With regards to sleep what does it mean when you are absolutely knackered and drained yet sleep doesn't come? Where your in soo much pain you can't sleep? That isn't Your body telling you that you don't need sleep.

Meditation and controlled breathing may help, I'm finding that I'm struggling with as I can't slow my head enough to do it. I am working on that with my mental health nurse.

No all things can be fixed with diet and exercise, some things do need to be medically treatment. If I wasn't on the medications I'm on I wouldn't be able to function at all then what would happen to my kids?

You need to think about the whole picture

Dec 21, 2016 2:37 AM

I'm sorry and do apologize.
i missed the sentence about Cinders being in a bad way with the pain, and posted my paragraph after seeing the heading about insomnia.

My bad.

Was in a bad way a few years back , having two bulging lower discs and can relate this after not even able to put socks on or sit or stand properly or even drive a vehicle.

After six weeks of excruciating pain - i needed to get back into the grind of work for economic reasons, but still in pain.

I found back excersises and strengthening my doctor advised the greatest help, and to this day have followed that program and have been relatively pain free doing my work - my business of fence and gate installation.

Dec 21, 2016 11:04 AM

I think insomnia has captured Mr. Sandman. After all he has been missing for what seems like forever.

Dec 21, 2016 12:29 PM

Thank you all, I will definitely look into some supplements. I am already taking vitamin D as I am deficient in that.
I would love a bath but the water pressure where I live is shocking, by the time its full it's freezing, I've even tried running the shower and kettles lol.
Sezzy what is kratom? It's not something I've heard of. I live in Glasgow, I will have a look at that link you've posted later on.
Mikey114 I agree sometimes a little movement helps but as I'd been medication free for 3 days it was just too much.
I completely agree Mimikay once you've found him send him my way when you've done lol
😀
Once again thank you all

Dec 21, 2016 3:01 PM

Cinders this is the first I've heard of Kratom and I've done a little research on it. I've got some mixed feelings about it from what I've read. The Kratom tree grows freely throughout Southeast Asia.
This is some of the info. Looking online it comes across in two lights
....one is that it is excellent for pain relief and a good pick me up
....two from some of what I've read if you take a mixture of drugs with it the toxins can contribute to death....the reports I've read have said some deaths had high amounts of Kratom toxins as well as prescribed drugs in the tests and some deaths had high amounts of Kratom as well as a mixture of illegal drugs in the tests....I'm not really sure what to make of it yet

WHAT IS KRATOM?

Kratom, or mitragyne speciosa, is a tree found in south-east Asia.

It has been traditionally used as a narcotic by people in the region, who chew it.

It is available in the UK over the Internet as a powder, which can then be mixed with drinks such as fruit juices.

Possible side-effects can include nausea, constipation, erectile dysfunction and insomnia.

It is currently illegal in Thailand and Malaysia – despite the trees growing there – and while it is not illegal in the USA, some states have put forward plans to ban it.

Dec 21, 2016 6:03 PM

Thank you very much Sezzy, I'll have a look into it a little more 😀

Dec 22, 2016 4:31 AM

I drink YOGI SLEEP TEA that helpsme somwE. But iknow where ur at yesterday i went bed 9pm woke at 1 bathroom layed back down woke at 4:30 up up up fml oh today 2:30.... I just work on my art listen to news tv or music just get lost idk love what i do... So it takes my mind off pain siscomfort etc... Sendin hugzinsomnia sucks at any level

Dec 22, 2016 4:32 AM

Current project for my sissy..

Ready to start relieving your pain?

Join Community