Learn from patients with pain similar to yours

CatchMyPain Community and Pain Diary App to manage chronic illness

Insurance and chronic pain

Nov 03, 2015 10:21 AM

I finally have a diagnosis and a treatment But my insurance refuses to pay because it is 'experimental'.

Nov 03, 2015 11:18 AM

Chammie, first I would like to welcome you to our community family. I am sorry you are in this situation. I was in the health/life insurance business for many years before I became disabled. The best thing you can do at this time is get a patient liaison at the insurance company. Explain the situation that you are in and ask them to provide you with the guidelines for getting treatment approval. Your doctor may have to do something as simple as writing a letter explaining why he feels that conventional treatment will not work for you and why he feels this is the best way in your interest to help you with your pain. If they require more, it may just be a matter of providing the medical records and treatments already tried. I wish you the best of luck in getting assistance. Know that the insurance company never does anything quickly (Except cancel you if you don't pay the premium.. LOL!!😳) if there are any questions that I can answer for you after you've gotten your liaison, please let me know. I'm sending you good wishes and positive vibes that you get the treatment that your doctor is saying you require. Also make sure you do the research on any treatment that he wants to do. A well informed and educated patient is much safer when fully informed on all possibilities that the treatment presents. Always be your own advocate when you can. You'll be in my prayers.🌻🙏🏻

Nov 03, 2015 4:03 PM

That Is great advice Always ( now storing into my fibro files). Good luck cam

Nov 03, 2015 7:58 PM

Welcome Chammie! I'm sorry the insurance isn't cooperating. I went to Mayo for tests last month. They did 3 tests that my insurance days is unproven and was unnecessary. Long story short, I owe the $1500+ for it. AlwayZ has given good advice. I would have gotten one has I known Mayo didn't submit anything for pre authorization. We've already spent over $2500 traveling, food & hotels. (And to think they wanted me to do an outpatient program for 3 weeks at $30000; my luck it would have been unproven also. Good thing I'm not a 🍭.) It may take some time waiting for approval but it will be worth it. Good luck. Saying a prayer for you! 🙏🌼

Nov 03, 2015 10:45 PM

Welcome Cammie I hope you can get your insurance straightened out soon. Sending hugs and prayers .

Ready to start relieving your pain?

Join Community