Learn from patients with pain similar to yours

CatchMyPain Community and Pain Diary App to manage chronic illness

Living with chronic pain

Sep 23, 2014 3:34 PM

so like many I live with chronic pain on a daily basis and there's days when I feel like giving up my question is do others who live with chronic pain have ways of coping? I'm in the middle of a really bad flare up and not coping very well.

Oct 02, 2014 9:10 AM

suze - try to remember the days when you are not so "flarey". I know it's hard. I am there right now myself.

Oct 02, 2014 1:31 PM

yes, please don't give up! it will get better, although it may not seem like it at this moment. Just try to listen to your body, and don't stop exercising, but do it at an easy pace. if I have a lot of pain, I try to do my relaxation exercises. that also helps for me.

Oct 03, 2014 6:09 AM

what helps me the most on those days is thinking of my friends and family...what it would do to them. then I simply concentrate on the better days and remember that this is just a flare up, it will go back down!

Oct 03, 2014 4:06 PM

Yes, chronic pain can get the best of you, but you have to learn to get the best of it! One of my problems is I wait too long to do something about it ( like medicating, hot/ cold paks, rest, etc). Learn what triggers your pain so you can stay on top of it. Do things that can distract you from your pain. I have felt like you too, but like someone mentioned, it will hurt your family, friends and loved ones more than the pain you are having. Stay positive (I know it t's easier said than done), and hang it than there. (Prayer & meditation helps me). God Bless!! Feel Better!

Oct 04, 2014 5:51 AM

A lot of us tend to think we should brave it out and not take medications until its absolutely necessary. I've found that this is not necessarily the best way to manage pain. I've found that if I wait to take medications and the pain gets difficult, it becomes even more difficult to bring it under control. I've found that you need to keep up with your slow release medications and at the FIRST sign of breakthrough pain, you must take breakthrough medications. I use percocet at the first sign of extreme pain. It may not always work but I do know if I don't take it early in the pain cycle, then I am a goner for hours.

Ready to start relieving your pain?

Join Community