Learn from patients with pain similar to yours

CatchMyPain Community and Pain Diary App to manage chronic illness

Lupron

May 26, 2016 10:19 PM

How expensive is lupron? Ballpark figure obviously bc I know it varies with insurance.

May 26, 2016 10:55 PM

I live in central Canada. At Costco I paid $370 for 3.75 mg one injection which is for 4 weeks. At a regular drug store it was $430. The next injection needs to happen at 4 weeks or within 4 days of that which is pushing it. I could feel a change by week three pain started to get really bad. I did two rounds of it. I had migraines 24/7 the whole time plus two weeks after stopping. The sumatriptan, migraine medication, was $54 or $75 for 6 pills. I went through lots of it! The sumatriptan usually works well for me but not while on Lupron. So for me it wasn't just the cost of Lupron, there was an added expense of extra pain and migraine meds probably $500 during this time and the time of extra doctor visits due to the out of control pain. My nurse practitioner said you can see if you can ask for the med if you can't afford it. Sometimes they may have samples or have a way of getting it for you. As many other medications.
I wish I would of never taken the Lupron. It might be a temporary relief but it is not a cure. You can only be on it for a year. I still need to go for a scope possibly surgery to confirm endometriosis diagnosis and removal of abnormal growing cyst, right ovaries. If their it lots of damage they will remove more and burn endometriosis if needed.
Beets.

May 28, 2016 11:20 PM

I have Endo and its such a bitch to deal with. I have to have my 5th surgery in 18 days, and I'm pretty excited because I know relief will be here soon for me. People give me a look when I say that, but when you live with chronic pain, shit like that will excite you. I live in the US and I think more doctors should have been taught more about it instead of dismissing us. I've had people tell me, including Endo sisters, to go on Lupron because it helped them. Apparently, they don't know that every woman with Endo is a special case, not all the same. What works for you, may not work for me. They tried putting that lupron crap on me and I have to scream no.

May 30, 2016 6:43 AM

Dear MunchKin07,
I hope that you can get some relief soon. That is a lot of surges in a short period of time.
Cheers to the future!
Beets.

Jun 02, 2016 11:44 PM

Tuesday May 31, 2016. Was my scope date to confirm if I had endometriosis. The verdict is I do not have endometriosis.
My abnormal cyst on right ovary and right ovary were removed, a biopsy of my left ovary was done. Everything appears to look good. If I would of gone with the first gyne doctor she was going to do a total hysterectomy. She thought I had endometriosis. The scope was not an option with her. I don't want to be getting my parts taken out if there is not for a confirmed reason.
The last three years my pain has grown in a few different places and ways. I am glad that I don't have endometriosis. The treatment FOR ME on Lupron was HELL. Now I have confirmation that the Lupron treatment was wrong for me. It was HELL and lots of money for the Lupron treatment and the medicines for the side effects. And it pisses me off knowing that it would of been only a temporary relief. I am hoping that I will have less pain with the cyst gone. I will see where my periods take me. Pelvic Physio, follow up with gyne in 6 weeks for post op and what ideas to do with my next step. GI work up, await pain clinic. Hopefully the leftover effects from the Lupron will continue to disappear.
Post surgery I am very happy to have not gone into a fibro flare because of all of the stress mentally and physically. My lower back pain is not horrible, just a little stiff. I did need to stay in hospital because they could not get my pain under control and then my stats dropped. Finally by 9 pm I was feeling more in control. Thank goodness. Currently the fatigue is exhausting. I feel sad about the uncertainty and fear the pain returning.
I am still overwhelmed that they did not find anything affirmative, but can continue on with these plans.
Beets.

Ready to start relieving your pain?

Join Community