Learn from patients with pain similar to yours

CatchMyPain Community and Pain Diary App to manage chronic illness

Lyrica

Jan 12, 2016 7:27 PM

So my insurance will NO longer cover lyrica i have 2 weeks left at 300mg twice dayly im stressin and Im starting to feel that any sugestions i wont take vicodin i was lookin up Cymbalta

Jan 12, 2016 8:16 PM

What about gabapentin? I couldn't take cymbalta because of a serotonin issue but others have really good results. πŸ˜·πŸ™πŸŒΌ

Jan 12, 2016 9:07 PM

Also call your doctor he may be able to say something to the insurance company to change there mind.. Also someone mentioned a program to lyrica for free. Ask about that.

Jan 12, 2016 9:15 PM

Ask if Savella is on their formulary. My insurance did me the same way with my Savella, I was forced to use Lyrica for 3 months and it was like taking Tylenol. My Dr filled out paperwork that stated the Lyrica didn't work on me and that I needed the Savella and they agreed to pay a certain amount and I have to pay a larger copay. We have to do it every year ,but it is worth it. I take 100 mg 2 x day and I take 800 mg.of Gabapentin 4 x day. Good luck

Jan 12, 2016 10:03 PM

Dear FlappysLady81,
I would like to ask. What do you mean about having a serriton issue? I have never heard that term.
Sincerely,
Beets

Jan 12, 2016 11:08 PM

I get Lyrica for 5.00 per month. Coupon on line. Print, activate and take to pharmacy with rx

Jan 12, 2016 11:09 PM

That it wonderful.

Jan 13, 2016 12:39 AM

I went through the same issues with lyrics and have to switch to gabapentin. While it does help some it def doesn't help as much as lyrics. You may be able to contact the company because sometimes they have programs to help you pay for some of the cost. You could also try kmart, walmart, target ect... Cause sometimes they have programs to help pay for you meds.... I hope this helps you some and if I can help you with anything else pls let me know.... Have a great evening

Jan 13, 2016 5:30 AM

Beetsrgood, My psychiatrist kept running lab work to check my serotonin levels because it was out of balance. When he finally got me on the right dose of antidepressant (Pamelor/Nortriptyline) he said it was leveled out. He told me it was the same issue I had happen in the 1980's, when I got hit with depression the first time, and that sometimes chemicals in the brain get out of whack, unlevel. He then stated that all the prior meds the other 2 doctors kept trying to put me on, but I'd have reactions to, was because of the way my brain is sensitive to serotonin imbalances. I asked him what the difference was and he said that the meds they'd put me on we're Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRI) classed drugs, which most people have no problems with, but due to my sensitivities I would not be able to use them. I have high sensitivities to Zoloft, prozac, remeron, lexapro, crowds, and cymbalta, and have not been able to use any of them. I'm also very sensitive with reactions to most pain meds. I hope I explained it well. πŸ˜·πŸ™πŸŒΌπŸ’•

Jan 13, 2016 8:57 PM

Thank you for sharing FlappysLady :) That's interesting.
I don't have that option here in Canada.
Beets

Jan 14, 2016 2:43 AM

FlappysLady what lab work was ran to check your levels? I've had Major Depression, Anxiety, OCD, and Paranoia for most of my life and I've never heard of a test to check seratonin levels. I live in Australia and I know not all tests or medications are used here but I'd be interested to know if it is here.

Jan 14, 2016 11:26 AM

FlappysLady, sorry but this is seriously whacky. There is no such thing as treating depression based o serotonine levels in the blood. There is no evidence behind that. Serotonin in the brain matters, not in the blood. Many things you do affect your transmitters, like exercise and meditation and social interaction. These drugs were originally supposed to be given temporarily! not for a lifetime. Dont focus too much on drugs only, it takes your awareness away from other treatments. Believe me, I know how psychiatrists think and work. Keep thinking independently.

Jan 14, 2016 11:50 AM

You can get lyrica for free through the Pfizer prescription assistance program . Just go to Pfizer and get the form and fill out your portion. Take the rest to the doctor and he will fill out his portion which has a prescription in it and then they will send you a three month supply. Many people use to not be able to qualify for this program. But I think like a family of two can make like $60,000 dollars a year and still qualify. If you would like more information, email me at the_profiler@comcast.net .

Jan 14, 2016 1:50 PM

MandyRTBW, all I know it's a lab for chemical imbalanc that he keeps a check on. Even though he tripled my dose of antidepressant, it's still less than half the dose I took 25+ years ago.

Dr. Fouradoulas, He isn't treating the depression based on the serotonin level. He adjusted medication levels due to the labs. I've seen the labs and I do have an imbalance, in serotonin and others. My PCP also verified the labs and med changes. I wish I could remember the name or code used. Trust me, I'm not totally relying on medications because I've seen first hand what that can do, and I won't be anyone's zombie. If I didn't trust my psychiatrist I wouldn't be there. He is one of the doctors I trust the most, because he listens and we talk about any possible med changes and expected affects. Genetically, chemical imbalance runs heavy in my family, from one generation to the next. I do think independently, too strong willed as some docs have said. Lol that comes genetically too. πŸ˜·πŸ™πŸŒΌ

Jan 15, 2016 11:14 AM

Thats fine, but antidepressants should be adjusted depending on mood and not lab results, seriously. Measuring drug level in blood is ok but not the transmitters. Honestly, the real degree of long term side effects of these drugs is not clear.

Jan 15, 2016 8:42 PM

Since the adjustment increase I'm no longer having mood swings of up & down. And I'm literally on less than half the dose I needed in the 1980's. I'm just sharing what he verbally explained to me. My stepmom had chemical imbalance for decades and also had to stay on meds. On the flip side, if the bad effect is a shortened life, then not only won't I suffer long, I'll die young & beautiful instead of old & wrinkled! πŸ˜‰

Jan 16, 2016 12:43 PM

There's a new one out Salvia ask your doctors about it.

Jan 16, 2016 5:09 PM

My baby brother can't take the seratonin meds. He got serotonin sickness and apparently is too sensitive for them....

Jan 16, 2016 6:33 PM

I haven't found any of this class of drugs helpful for pain.

Ready to start relieving your pain?

Join Community