Learn from patients with pain similar to yours

CatchMyPain Community and Pain Diary App to manage chronic illness

Lyrica

Apr 03, 2016 4:17 PM

I've been on lyrica for about 3 weeks and am still experiencing problematic side effects (short term memory loss, feeling high sometimes, visual disturbances etc.)

I was wondering if anyone else taking lyrica had these problems and how long until they stopped, I'm only concerned because I have A-level exams starting in little over a month and need my memory back to be able to pass them and get into uni

Apr 03, 2016 4:46 PM

I ran out of my lyrics a couple of weeks ago and when I started taking it again I was drunk for about a week. Drunk in the sense of my balance was completely out of wack, I couldn't stand without help. Walking was impossible without help. I felt goofy and not myself. It took about a week for all of the symptoms go away. Hang in there it gets better.

Apr 03, 2016 4:48 PM

It's stabalised my pain, but it's given me so many problems, I've tried so many meds and I know it can take years to find the right meds but it's be coming quite frustrating now because I thought the side effects would have worn off

Apr 03, 2016 4:50 PM

How long have you been taking lyrica and what strength do you take?

Apr 03, 2016 4:51 PM

3 weeks and 50mg twice a day, I'm only 17 so my GP started me on quite a low dose

Apr 03, 2016 4:51 PM

Sorry I see you've been taking it for three weeks. What milligram do you take and how many times a day?

Apr 03, 2016 4:54 PM

It maybe too strong for you. Have you tried only taking it before bed?

Apr 03, 2016 4:56 PM

What time is bedtime for you?

Apr 03, 2016 5:00 PM

I take it at Ian and 7pm, I don't really have a bedtime due to my illness screwing with my sleep cycle, it can be anywhere from 7pm to 5am

Apr 03, 2016 5:34 PM

If your doing g gradual increases on your doseage itl take about a two week for each increase. I was down and out for over a month til I finally leveled off.

Apr 03, 2016 5:39 PM

I've just been on a solid 50mg, I've not been increasing

Apr 03, 2016 5:40 PM

I'd suggest of its not better in a week I would call the dr and see what they say. U may need to switch to something else or to a lower dose.has this does helped your pain any?

Apr 03, 2016 6:04 PM

It's not improved it but it's stabilised it so the generalised pain isn't getting worse as it was before

Apr 03, 2016 6:12 PM

It took me a about two months to actually feel like it was helping. But even now four mo ths in it only mildly improved. My Dr added cymballta to my current dose of lyrica and the two combined has shown a markeable difference.

Apr 03, 2016 6:17 PM

I'm going to discuss the side effects with my doctor, I'm really struggling with them, particularly the memory loss and concentration problems

Apr 03, 2016 6:28 PM

Yrs..fibro does a good enough job with its brain fog..and lyrica just makes it worse. I hope you find a balance with it soon and do well on your exams

Apr 04, 2016 2:32 AM

Thank you! It doesn't help when I'm trying to revise and have no concentration, no memory and keep miswriting things ahaha

Apr 04, 2016 3:46 AM

My doc tried to change me to lyrics from gabapentin, as I'm on the max gabapentin that I can be on. I had so many side effects that I told my doctor and was switched back. Since going back I,be had no effects at all.

Apr 04, 2016 3:51 AM

I was on gabapentin but it made my pain worse and have me so many negative side effects, so he switched me to lyrica and I'm getting worse side effects but it's helping my pain 😧

Apr 04, 2016 5:19 AM

I am on gabapentin also.
What type side effects has it caused you.
My brain fog seems pretty bad sometimes, and depression.
Doc finally put me on zoloft for the depresssion and it seems to work some.
Lately I seem to just sit around and worry about how I going to handle all this medical stuff along with trying to work and make a living.
I work as a machinist and all the meds make me sleepy, unsteady and brain fog. Not good for running heavy equipment.
Thanks for your replay.

Apr 04, 2016 12:42 PM

I'm on a very low dose of gabapentin for the neuropathies. Both with & without it my fibro fog is the same. Some days it's worse than others. For instance, when my granddaughter was here playing board games, I couldn't remember who's turn was when. She wrote out names down in the order we were suppose to play. Sweet girl!!

Apr 04, 2016 12:43 PM

I was prescribed Lyrica for my dysesthesia and possible fibromyalgia-- but I am terrified to touch the stuff. After researching, the possible side effects seem to be pretty harsh-- and I just cannot risk losing the slight amount of clarity that I still possess! I know it is a lifesaver for some people (I am just stating my personal stance), but I will continue to trudge through pain until I find a better alternative.

Ugggh the brain fog is such a pain!

Apr 04, 2016 12:44 PM

I get waves of side effects so it's not bad all the time, just at particular times of the day

Apr 04, 2016 6:23 PM

You mention at particular times of the day. Is there any connection between taking it on a full stomach or empty?

Apr 04, 2016 6:23 PM

Not connection! I meant difference...Lol fibro fog!

Apr 05, 2016 1:09 AM

I've not noticed a difference, I'll have to pay attention to that in the next few days

Apr 05, 2016 5:49 PM

Hi EDSgirl,
I really wish that we could private message as our problems, age, medications etc. Seem very similar.

I have not had any bad side effects to lyrica (Pregabalin) and I have been on it a few weeks now.
I have known people top have bad reactions to lyrica (and similar meds like gabapentin). In their experiences, the side effects sub-sided in a few weeks.
Can I ask what dose you are on? (As that can affect side effect profile)

Apr 05, 2016 6:03 PM

Was very bad for me to same problems as you +and then some

Apr 05, 2016 6:25 PM

I'd say: Don't generalize from the particular. You've got exams. Talk with your doc very clearly and emphatically, ASAP. Now is Not the time for meds experimentation.
Best best hopes for you to have good days and excellent exams!

PS: It didn't do what I'd hoped either.

Apr 05, 2016 11:37 PM

Yes! Sorry that is something my fog made me forget to say in my post.
I must emphasise the fact that you need to discuss this with your doctor. Both of you can decide what to do next, it may be that he decides to lower the dose or to take you off of lyrica completely. However, you can talk to him about the fact that you would like to hold off on the drug experimentation and even talk to him about retrying lyrica in future (if you wished too but this must be decided between you and your doctor)

Apr 06, 2016 12:10 AM

Dear ThatsEDSgirl,
I was on lyrica and needed to come off of it at 2 weeks. I had many problems, the worst was that I wanted to kill myself. My mood and other things changed at the same time lyrica was started. Symptoms got bad fast. I choose to come off of it with input from doctors( family and a psychiatrist) it was too coincidental. I could not guarantee that I was safe.
But as you can see people have gotten relief. It's ok that you are trying out options. I to think it is a good thing to talk with your doctor. I also think that adjustments at this time for you need to be weighed out with the timing because of exams. You mentioned that at certain times of the day you are better maybe studying and exam taking can be adjusted to these times.
Beets.

Apr 06, 2016 12:17 AM

I have been tacking lyrica since I was seven and I still have hard time remembering stuff or maybe I'm just getting old.

Apr 06, 2016 2:01 AM

i used Lyrica for about 5 months and the side effects never stopped. The list of side effects was long but I admit it did help with the pain. I had severe headaches, blurred vision, ringing in the ears, dry mouth, poor memory, foggy head, unbalanced and unbelievable night terrors and sweats (if I slept, for the most part I had insomnia too). I finally switched to Gabapentin, on top of ton of other crap I take including narcotics, but the Gabapentin came with a similar list of side effects as Lyrica but just not as intense. It took about 9 weeks for the side effects to calm slightly but after 2 years of taking them I still have the side effects.

The nerve blockers are nasty drugs and if you can get off them do so as soon as you can. And don't go for the narcotics, I have been on them for 8 years now and yes they help a bit with the pain but my body is so dependant on them now that if I miss my dose by even an hour I start to have withdrawal symptoms. I recently switch from Oxy to Morphine in an attempt to see if it may work better. The Pain Management Clinic doctor told my GP that I should rotate the narcotics every 6 months so that they are more effective and I don't get immune to them. But they start you on a half the equivalent dose when the switch happens and I went through hell with the withdrawal symptoms. It was just like when you see junkies who are thrown in jail and have to dry out, except it lasted weeks and only until they raised the morphine up significantly did I stabilize. I had cold sweats, my nerves felt like they were being electrocuted, insomnia, very high blood pressure and heart rates, I honestly thought I was going to stroke out. It was one of the most challenging things I have ever had to endure and trust me I have gone through a lot of crap in the last 8 years.

My recommendation is to never start on the drugs, try alternative methods, try anything until you find what works, physio, chiro, osteopath (worked wonders for me at one point), even try meditation and mindful thinking. It didn't help me that much but it did for others.

Good luck to everyone

Ready to start relieving your pain?

Join Community