Learn from patients with pain similar to yours

CatchMyPain Community and Pain Diary App to manage chronic illness

Migraine help

Jan 10, 2017 3:32 PM

I am starting to experience migraines again. It started on Monday night around 4 pm it stopped at 5pm. I don't have a prescription so I used the cool tile floor. Cold compresses and my heating pad. My stomach was in knots. It was bad. I'm trying to replenish my fluids but I can only do less then 32 oz of water due to my water allegery๐Ÿ˜ž. Not only am I dealing with fibromyalgia I was diagnosed with an allergy to water in 2015. I hate trying to explain to people that I can't eat or drink certain or why I'm walking funny or my hand writing went down the drain. I'm just frustrated today and tired.

Jan 10, 2017 5:06 PM

Oh no, that's not good and the water allergy must be soooooo hard to live with oh my I couldn't even begin to comprehend that.....I'm soo sorry, I drink a lot of water so to me that's one of the worse allergies that could happen to me....when I got migraines the only thing I could do was take 30/500mg cocodamols and sleep but at the time I didn't realise (neither did my doctors) that my migraines were triggered by pain building up in the damaged jaw joint on the left side of my face. It wasn't dx until I started seeing a new dentist back in 2008 who sent me to maxifacal and the consultant started asking me weird questions about what the pain was like, where was my jaw pain, did I often get headaches or migraines then he told me that I'd damaged the joint which pain would build up then it would trigger a migraine. He gave me a letter to give to my GP to prescribe me amitriptyline and my migraines went from weekly (normally lasting at least 2 days) to every other month and they gave me a soft gum shield to wear at night to protect my teeth from further damage.

Sorry I seem to be having a day of digressing!!!

Do you know if your migraines are triggered by food and drink or by pain build up? You should journal your migraines to see if there are particular triggers.

I'm sorry I'm not sure what else to say, I can't recommend any treatments as they never worked for me, cocodamols were the only med to work but that was because it knocked me out so I would sleep thro the migraine.

I hope your able to find some relief soon xx

Jan 10, 2017 5:18 PM

I am newly diagnosed with fibromyalgia so I'm trying to figure out as I go along. I am keeping a journal of what I eat and drink. Keeping my fingers crossed and saying a lot of GOd help me. Thanks Sezzy

Jan 10, 2017 5:52 PM

If you don't already try the migraine buddy for tracking your migraines. It will help you to figure out whats triggering them.

I have the beginnings of one today.. With the lights, noise sensitivity. I take Excedrin Migraine. Often it will help If I catch it soon enough. I have also used peppermint oil. Sometimes it helped. Here is a link telling more about that..
https://migraine.com/migraine-treatment/natural-remedies/peppermint-oil/

Jan 10, 2017 6:01 PM

Hi, I'm so sorry you are having migraines. Nothing is worse than this debilitating pain. I have some suggestions for you that I have found useful over the years.
When you get them and don't have any prescription pain medicine, try Excredrin Migraine. I have had migraines since I was 19 and I'm 50 now. If I catch it soon enough Excredrin will stop it. If not, get an ice pack on your neck. No heating pad. Another trick that helps calm me but won't take the pain away is sitting on the kitchen counter and soaking my hands and feet in cold water. Something about drawing heat away from my body calms me enough to open the blood vessels to relax the pain. Goofy huh? But when in pain we try anything, huh?
Now, if you can get your doctor to talk about topamax and amitriptyline as a preventive medicine, that is what I take and that have reduced the number of migraines I have. I was running about 15-20 a month when I was younger. I am reaching menapause and they are slowing down. Even 6-7 sucks but hey ๐Ÿ˜ฉ. Also ask about Imitrex as a migraine killer for the times when you just can stop it. You can get them in pill form or injections. I personally find the injections work faster. But my doctor gives me both. She's awesome.
I really hope this helps you. I really know how life stealing these things are and hope you can find help. If you need anything else. I'm here.

Jan 14, 2017 7:07 PM

Thank you so much Messyalien! (((Hugs))) I'm so grateful for the information. I sent the meds you recommend to my doctors. Crossing my fingers. It's been extremely cold here and my entire body is hurting these days with extreme fatigue.

Jan 14, 2017 11:30 PM

Mermaid...i learned something new today...that you can be allergic to water....that's pretty sucky...I'm sorry you have to go through that. As one that does suffer with nasty migraines...what works for me is peppermint and lavender essential oil (just a few drops) mixed with either olive oil or coconut oil ( whatever non scented oil i have on hand) and massage my neck, my temples, my wrists and the bottom of my feet...weird, i know...but if i get it in time, it does work... hope you feel better soon

Jan 14, 2017 11:48 PM

It's sucks my water allergy wasn't diagnosed until I was 50 my symptoms are running parallel with the fibromyalgia except my hands and feet get these painful blister. I have peppermint oil in the house. I will send one of my children out for the lavender oil, cant use coconut oil. My doctor put a prescription in for can't use coconut allergic to all nuts it's a very long list of things I can't i

Jan 14, 2017 11:55 PM

My fingers got stuck..for migraines my water allergy triggers food allergies so I have to be careful with oils, lotions, even soap has stopped my breathing.

Jan 15, 2017 4:01 AM

Oh wow, I'm soo sorry you have these food and drink allergists. I wish I could help you more. I hope you don't mind me asking but with your water allergy does that mean that your limited to 32oz of any drink or are you able to have certain drinks without the limitations? Like fresh squeezed orange juice, tea/coffee, milk or smoothies made with fruit, veg and milk (any milk from cows milk to soya milk) ?

If I'm being rude then please tell me, I don't mean to offend with my curiosity.

I hope you've found some relief from your migraines soon.
I'm thinking of you and sending you positive vibes and warm healing hugs xx

Jan 15, 2017 8:57 AM

Seems like it was migraine week ๐Ÿ˜. Mine seem to be triggered by the weather, rain or snow and I'm down for a day or two. I can't take amiltryptiline and still function. Let me know if you find something that works and feel better.

Jan 16, 2017 5:38 AM

No worries it feels good to be able to tell others about my usual allergy most people think I'm crazy when I do tell them about my water allergy. I have learned through trail an error. Not to drink more than 32oz of water. It's weird I can drink fruit juice natural, coffee/tea with a 2 cups daily, milk, No soy products at all. I let my body tell me when to drink an 8oz bottle of water during the day. I try to drink water each night before bed time. Can't touch stainless steel or anything with nickel. No products made with coco๐Ÿ˜”. I have limits with fruits and vegetables as well.Even my own sweat can cause a breakout. I'm living with a double edge swored between fibromyalgia and this water allergy. In the cold months I can't wear hats, gloves or socks that can cause me to sweat at the same time I can't let snow or rain touch my skin. No wool sweaters. Summer is even worse trying not to sweat. I'm newly diagnosed with fibromyalgia 3 weeks so Me and my team of doctors and experts are trying to figure things out as I go along. This group has been a God send for me.

Jan 16, 2017 5:52 AM

Danielle I finally got relief from that mean old migraine. I actually slept until one in the afternoon yesterday haven't slept like that in months without meds. I will let you know if I find something that works from my doctors. The cold compresses helped me through even though I had a breakout from my water allergy from the cold. Oh well it's gone for now. ๐Ÿค—

Jan 17, 2017 8:51 PM

I bought MigraineX pressure regulating earplugs (amazon) & they really help! My neurologist recommended that I take vitamin B2 & magnesium - which I do daily, along with rx of amitriptyline, Celexa (daily), & imitrex nasal spray & Phenergan as needed when migraine hits. It has decreased my migraines from 5-10 per month to a not even 1 a month.

Jan 17, 2017 9:36 PM

Oh wow I'm really sorry that you're dealing with all this, it sounds so hard to get a balance so that you can get some relief from both these conditions.

It must be really hard for you to find a balance with your water allergy especially when some if the meds can cause dry mouth making you want to drink more?

I really do wish that there was a magic wand to help us all with every condition we have but alas there's not ๐Ÿ˜ข

With doing the cold compresses is it the cold touching your skin setting off the allergy or was it because you used a wet flannel?

Would it of made a difference if you has used one of those cold compresses that you keep in the fridge or freezer then wrapped it in a tea towel to stop the cold from immediately touching your skin and the condensation from the compress coming out of the cold into the warmer air from touching your skin?
I hope you can get what I'm saying, I can't seem to find the right words to fully explain what I mean.

Does you allergy mean that using creams and lotions also make your skin break out?
Also can wearing make up cause a break out?
Again I'm if I'm asking too much then please let me know, I don't want to offend you with my curiosity plus knowing all this might help myself and others find suitable suggestions that might be helpful to you

Sorry I meant to reply earlier but didn't get the notification and only just found the thread again.

Sending you positive vibes and warm healing hugs xx

Jan 18, 2017 4:52 PM

You are exactly right about the dry mouth and eyes from my meds not to mention I don't intake enough water to fully mostuize my body. I use a lot of Biotene, Thera Tears & hydrocortisone daily. I use both types of cold presses freezer & frig by wrapping in towels sometimes Satan wrap, if I'm having a bad period with break outs. The issues with lotion most contain shea butter - nuts - coco these three stop my breathing immediately including corn products. I read a lot of labels when shopping and have gone back to cooking and baking from scratch! I never knew how many items have corn products in them until I was diagnosed. I feel bad and guilty when family and friends bake things for me and I have to tell them I can't eat it or drink it. Makeup is tricky because there are a lot of adjatives added that I can react to as well. I pretty much stick to what works. Please continue to ask me questions. I am grateful for any help, suggestions anyone can provide me. I will definitely try the ear plugs. I'm still waiting on my doctor with Mayo for migraine meds it seems they are worried about interaction with my current meds. Sorry for the delayed response been trying to get things done around the house before the bad pain sets in the fatigue seems to stay around. Hugs!!!

Jan 18, 2017 4:54 PM

Ohh...Not Satan Wrap! I meant Saran Wrap! LOL

Jan 18, 2017 5:10 PM

I know how hard it can be with food allergies my 10 year old can't tolerate citrus orange at all in any form! She can't have the fruit any of the citrus orange fruit from oranges to clementines to satsumas or orange juice to orange squash even jaffa cakes or orange flavoured meds.....she recently had a prescription for 6+ paracetamol liquid, we had to go to 3 different chemists because they only get orange flavor paracetamol. The 3rd chemist actually took a some bottles off the otc self to give her strawberry flavour when they lose money for doing it that way, none of the other chemists would do that so they've now lost my prescriptions

Jan 18, 2017 5:14 PM

Oh her orange allergy/intolerance means it gives her the most awful stomach cramps, diarrhoea and sickness. She was fine and loved them up until she turned 4 and started school then all of a sudden it hit, she couldn't have it anymore

Jan 18, 2017 5:15 PM

Sorry I've gone off on a tangent again!!!

Jan 18, 2017 10:31 PM

Wow! Hopefully your 10 year grows out of the allergy for citrus. I've had allergies to strawberries far as long as I can remember. Artificial critus gives me instant migraine for days. My allergist said those were two key identifers for my water allergy. Who knew! My oldest daughter as allergies to everything out doors, grass, trees, wood, dirt, plants, flowers, bananas, grapefruit and pineapple. I'm glad she's 36 now it was rough when she was little! My middle daughter was diagnosed with raynusds at 12, she's now 35, my son was diagnosed with crohnes at 6, now 30 so I understand tangents very well. I'm here for you...let it out! Sometimes I want to scream from the roof tops...one small problem At this point and time my body wouldn't make it.. I would end up on my head! I swear the good Lord allowed me to raise my children before letting my body fall apart!

Jan 19, 2017 2:14 AM

Wow , I can't imagine how hard it was to bring up your 3 with such horrible conditions. Look after 3 children is hard on its own but then adding in the conditions for each child and them having such different conditions and trying to remember what each one can and can't have and making sure you have meds required for them must of been soo stressful.

My mental health nurse said that she thinks quite a lot of people who develop fibro have been thro soo much stress and truma emotionally and physically that it's the body's way of dealing with it......marvellous!!!!

You've certainly had to deal firstly with your children becoming ill before they were dx, then you had to deal with the stress and truma of them being dx and then being strong and helping each of your 3 with their conditions thro childhood and into adulthood, I can't even imagine the stress and truma that caused your body.

My daughter not only has the orange citrus allergy but last August she was dx type 1 diabetic and the 4 weeks leading up to the dx were very stressful with all the symptoms she had then there was the stress of the dx and coming to terms with it and getting our heads round all the information we had to learn and getting used to doing all the finger prick tests and giving her insulin. Then I've had to help her thro the grieving process and saying to her that she has to have the insulin or she could die (harsh to say and made me feel horrible but if I didn't say it like that she wouldn't do it and she can die) plus there was a couple of other stressful things happened at the end of August beginning of September which put me into a flair with my trigeminal neuralgia pain and it also made the pain worse in the rest of my body....well I say flair but if the pain is still just as bad if not worse could it really be called a flair or is it now considered my new "normal"....my GP is now finally looking at fibromialga and/or CFS/ME.

Jan 19, 2017 2:26 AM

Oh no I've done it again! I'm soo sorry I've digressed again, I seem to start with saying one thing then I go into something else then forget what I was originally going to type and by the time I've realised I've typed a long response!

I think the point I was originally trying to make was that while we're going thro the stressful and traumatic times we're running on adrenaline and doing what we can for our kids and ourselves then when we're able to stop and take a deep breath like when your kids have all grown up and are looking after themselves, that's the time when our bodies take a deep breath and all our repressed emotions start to affect our bodies hence the reason you feel like you're falling apart now.

I'm not sure if I've explained that right because I'm rambling on and on as I've been awake most of the night with painsomnia....sorry for any mistakes and incoherent ramblings!!!

Jan 19, 2017 9:36 PM

No apologies needed...Keep right on rambling...I honestly believe you made a valid point. After my children grew up all my aliments started surfing like a mad man on steroids! I also raised a niece and nephew and two stepsons a total of 7. You don't even want to know that stress! Ugh..to long for this post I can tell you. My daughter has diabetes as well. That stress never goes away. I have a very large family and a lot of health issues come with it. I was hoping to retire in 5 years and spend my time relaxing and traveling spend time with my grandchildren. Now with all these additional expenses I'm going to try to work as long as I can and travel in between. It seems I've spent most of my life adjusting to medical situations in one form or another. The more information I find or it finds me I about fibromyalgia I just want to scream! "Why ME". My pain was subsiding now the weather here has changed and it's back in full force from my head to my toes. The fatigue drives my crazy and I don't know how to deal with it yet! I'm trying very hard to work through everything and keep my mind focused at the same time my memory sucks!! This is 10 times worse than menopuse! At least me. Now I'm ranting. I hope you can rest tonight...talk with you soon.

Jan 19, 2017 9:45 PM

Have you tried peppermint or basil oil?
I use a mix of peppermint, lavender and rosemary. (Be careful of getting peppermint too close to your eyes) Then wrap my heating pad around my head.
When that doesn't work I do lavender, rosemary, and Epsom salt in a bath.

Jan 19, 2017 10:01 PM

Someone else recommended trying oils. I placed an order for the lavender everything else I have in the house. I will definitely try it with the next migraine and let you know how I fare. I'm new to learning about the benefits of oils so I am open to learning about other recommendations you might have for fibromyalgia. I get very tender muscles/pain in my forearms even clothing makes me hurts. I have an allergy to water so im limited to taking baths. I can do steamy showers for 10 minutes. What I would give to sit in a tub again for 30 minutes or an hour. Sorry regressed !

Jan 19, 2017 10:14 PM

Satan wrap??? Tehehehe

Jan 19, 2017 10:24 PM

My fingers were having moment! LoL ๐Ÿ˜‚

Jan 19, 2017 10:30 PM

Oh wow , you've definitely had more than your share of stress bringing up all those children and all the health conditions on top!

I can definitely understand why your body has now come out with your health issues, you've never had time to think let alone time for yourself and with that many children you've also probably had to repress most if not all of your own emotions as to not let the children see how stressed, upset, angry and sad you were with everything life threw at you.

Life can certainly take a turn to throw our plans out the window and can make things a little more difficult that's for sure. I'm in the same boat as you with the why me and I've had many tears over the last 5 months from my daughter with the same why me? why can't they fix me? And such. I let the tears come so that we can grieve our past lives but I try not to let us wallow too long in the pity party so that we can carry on and adjust to our new lives but it's not easy at all!

I'm with you on the fatigue, it's an absolute killer and affects everything I do. I vacuumed my living earlier today and had to sit down and rest for a couple of hours afterwards because I was soo exhausted....I felt like I had done an hours gruelling gym session!!! It seems no matter how much sleep I get I'm still beyond exhausted ๐Ÿ˜ข๐Ÿ˜ด I had a pretty decent 5 hours sleep but waking up at 3:30am and not being able to get back to sleep is again going to kill me later.....doesn't help that I'm already tired!!!!

I've been trying to research as much information as possible for you to find something that would help you but a lot of the things I've found you already know and do or it involves water so I'm truly sorry that I can't find anything at all that would be helpful ๐Ÿ˜ข

Sending you positive vibes and warm healing hugs xx

Jan 19, 2017 10:49 PM

Lol, suuuurrrreeee they were!!

Jan 19, 2017 10:56 PM

They break dance all by themselves at any given moment๐Ÿ˜‚

Jan 19, 2017 11:00 PM

Do you beat box when they do to help them out? Boop shhee booo thrrr ruuu ppfftt (my attempt)

Ready to start relieving your pain?

Join Community