Learn from patients with pain similar to yours

CatchMyPain Community and Pain Diary App to manage chronic illness

Muscle twitching

Dec 19, 2016 2:17 AM

It seems over the past couple of weeks I've seemed to of developed a muscle twitch. I've occasionally had a twitch once in a blue moon going to bed but it's developed to every night when I'm in bed and it's now starting to happen thro the day as well.
It started off being one of my arms or one of my legs but now it also seems to happen in my sides. I have no warning when it will happen or which part of the body that will twitch.

Is this just a random thing? Or is there something more happening? It just seems one thing after another at the moment ๐Ÿ˜ณ

Dec 19, 2016 10:30 AM

It's happened a lot today, I've been quite anxious today as I'm at my aunts for a couple of days, that in itself is fine but we took a couple of her grandkids and my Jo to a soft play area so it was hard being out in an area I don't know plus my aunt drove.....I'm not a back seat driver just a motion sick passenger!!! Even prochlorperazine didn't fully take the nausea.
Even now sitting typing this out my legs and arms have been jurking, even my sides just below my ribs.
I'm not sure why I'm getting these?

Dec 19, 2016 10:39 AM

I get them when dozing off. They're called hynocogic jerks.

Dec 19, 2016 10:46 AM

Thank you Flappys, do they come secondary to something like fibro or CFS?

Dec 19, 2016 11:48 AM

I'm not real sure why I get them. I feel like it's connected to my fibro, since that is muscular. AlwayZinpain actually mentioned the name when I described what was going on; she's had the same thing lots longer than me. My doc said she was right but it's not anything serious, just annoying.

Dec 19, 2016 12:37 PM

I've gone from not noticing or not having it but probably not noticing it. In the last few weeks I've noticed that it's getting more frequent and happening in the day

Dec 19, 2016 12:51 PM

Check with your doctor. It's possible it's something else. I wonder if it's a side effect to a medicine you're taking?

Dec 19, 2016 1:30 PM

I'm seeing my GP in January and I'll be bringing my phone with my pain logs and a list of questions because this is soo draining

Dec 23, 2016 4:11 PM

I found "tremors" listed as side effects to both gabapentin (Neurontin) & pregabalin (lyrica). I am on both & have muscle jerks & tremors . Interesting. My doctor increased my dose of Atenolol to help reduce the tremors. Helps. I know this Atenolol is a heart/BP med but somehow has a connection with tremors. Any scientific input from Dr Marc or Daniel?

Dec 23, 2016 5:03 PM

Gabapentin, Lyrica and elavil have all caused me to jerk. Bad enough they cause weight gain, suicidal thoughts but when you are hoping to go to sleep and bam your whole body jerks, not fun. Since I stopped those meds no problems. Good luck to you.

Dec 23, 2016 5:06 PM

Tamtoad I'm not on either of those, they didn't work but gave me all the side effects!
The jerking in my legs I've notice now and again over the last 6 months but my arms jerking and my sides jerking are in the last few weeks and have gone from occasionally to nearly every day....that is for all of them, legs arms and sides....it doesn't have to be at night, if I sit or lay down for a while it'll happen. The side twitches are strange, I'll be sitting then all of a sudden the top of my body will jerk to the side of the twitch, I only go about 45ยฐ but it's noticeable if there is anyone sitting beside me or talking to me!
It's just really annoying!

Dec 24, 2016 6:08 AM

I am on pregabalin now but done gabapentin... and most other drugs too... so i now take magnesium 375 tablets for muscle and nerve twitching... works wonders!

Dec 24, 2016 7:05 AM

I am using an oil spray at bedtime allowing magnesium to soak in skin like a Epsom salt bath. Haven't noticed any changes. Fixing my leaky gut before I start anymore oral supplements. For when I do magnesium will be at the top of my list. Do you find Optisana a reputable supplier?
The fibro manual recommends 300 - 900mgs at bedtime. Can be a laxative so careful with higher dosages. She recommends 1-2 scoops at bedtime of Natural Calm, a powder that when combined with warm water turns into highly absorbable form of magnesium citrate.This is also treatment for Restless Leg Syndrome.

Dec 24, 2016 7:24 AM

Dr Liptan explains that magnesium is the relaxation mineral. It has calming effects on the brain, nerves & muscles.
Most fibro sufferers are deficient in magnesium . It's stored in the cells mostly so generic blood sampling will not be accurate unless the testing is checked at the cell. This is done through red blood cells eval & hair analysis. TMI? I find it all so fascinating-- finally proof that there is truly something wrong causing our symptoms & it's fixable. Can't wait till I get to the fascia chapters. Dr. Liptan believes it's the irritated & over exited thus over used fascia (lining around muscles) that causes our fibro pain. She recommends all physical therapy be focused there rather than on the muscles. This seems in conflict to what information Dr. Marc has. He said fibro is not a facial based pain syndrome. Will now there is research that says it is and people with fibro are getting amazing relief of pain and become more functional after therapy that focuses on fascias stretching & release.

Dec 24, 2016 7:25 AM

What do you all think?

Dec 24, 2016 8:59 AM

Im with u Tam ๐Ÿ˜š its my no 1 supplement... it also lessens withdrawal ๐Ÿ˜Šjerks and spasms... but๐Ÿซ physical therapy is also a must for recovery and retraining those muscles to keep working efficiently as poss.. ๐Ÿค—
Yes its a good brand... i research and this one works well. I notice a massive difference if i stop taking them ๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒน

Dec 24, 2016 12:38 PM

Thanks so much.

Dec 29, 2016 3:06 PM

Magnesium is also beneficial for slowed bowel transit

Ready to start relieving your pain?

Join Community