Learn from patients with pain similar to yours

CatchMyPain Community and Pain Diary App to manage chronic illness

Neck and shoulder pain

Dec 07, 2014 8:53 AM

I have pain in my left shoulder and neck that comes and goes. Some nights I can't sleep because I can't get comfortable. Using heat gives me some relief. Some mornings I have to pick up my arm and move it because it feels heavy and painful.

Dec 07, 2014 7:40 PM

I completely understand. I have problems with my shoulder/neck area also. It is bad enough that I can no longer sleep on my side because it pinches nerves that send my bicep into something like a Charliehorse and I lose ccomplete functionality until I can get it to stop. I don't have a diagnosis for this and I'm not sure why I have it. But I use heat, pain meds, ibuprofen, and stretching for relief. Since I stopped sleeping on my sided as much I don't have it happen as frequently unless I roll over and don't wake up. I've pretty much trained myself to sleep on my back now which hurts to but at leastI can still use my arms when I get up. Lol

Dec 08, 2014 4:55 PM

Sounds like muscle and nerve issues like I've had, have you seen a physical therapist?

Dec 08, 2014 7:23 PM

Boy can I relate! Hope you feel better.

Dec 09, 2014 1:03 PM

I have the same problem with my arms. If I sleep on my side I will without a doubt wake up with shooting pains in my arm. The pain is so bad that I have to get out of bed and walk around until the pain subsides. Night time is a huge drag for me now due to so much pain. I have been extremely depressed lately over the increasing pain but I try to remember that this is a rough time of the year due to the cold and that I will have better days. Hopefully all of us!! Starting now would be nice.

Dec 11, 2014 5:34 AM

I just had cervical fusion of c4-c7. I am upright now because pain was horrible and woke me up. I am having muscle spasms and tingling in my arms and hands. Not to mention down my shoulder blades hurt worse than ever. I hope this goes away soon when the swelling from surgery goes down. I am 8 days post op.

Jan 04, 2015 11:03 AM

I have these same issues of pain while sleeping on my side. I've had fusions from C4-7 and the discs above & below are collapsing. I go through pillows, having to buy news ones thick enough to keep my neck aligned but not so thick it misaligns it. It gets so bad that I now have a pillow for side sleeping and another for back sleeping. Forget stomach sleeping altogether!!!

Another issue that a doctor identified was bursitis, in both shoulders and hips. It makes the average neck/shoulder pain much worse. On average I get cortisone injections in my major joints every 12-18 months or I can't stand to use them or sleep. If you haven't thought about bursitis, get it checked out. I was 42 when it started and I'm 53 now.

Ready to start relieving your pain?

Join Community