Learn from patients with pain similar to yours

CatchMyPain Community and Pain Diary App to manage chronic illness

New diagnosis

Nov 21, 2015 6:58 AM

My dr. believes i may have fybromyalgia im not ready to accept this and i don't want to take the anti depressant he perscribed. Any thoughts?

Nov 21, 2015 7:38 AM

I want a second oppinion but not really sure how to go about that as i live in a small town

Nov 21, 2015 9:03 AM

April, if you're uncomfortable with your diagnosis, I would keep a detailed pain journal writing down everything that makes you hurt, makes you feel better, triggers the pain from almost nowhere, if there are foods that effect you, etc. After keeping this diary for a few weeks look for another doctor and go for a consult. Antidepressants are usually prescribed because being in pain every day can really take a toll and make you depressed and anxious and he/she may be trying to help you avoid that. Also, some antidepressants help with pain. (Cymbalta is one of them but it didn't help me). Express your doubts and concerns to the doctor and see what he/she recommends for you. Since you live in a small town, you may need to go out of your area to find another doctor. I am sending you gentle {{{Hugs}}} and prayers that all goes well and you get the help and information that you need.🌻🙏🏻

Nov 21, 2015 9:14 AM

Aww ty alwayzinlpain i am going to write it all down yes. I spoke to my mom this am and she suggested i try the meds and go from there. Shes a retired nurse. :) im glad i found this app

Nov 21, 2015 9:25 AM

I'm glad that you found it too. We are a close knit, loving, compassionate, zany and understanding bunch who will never let you be alone. Any time you are in need of help, you will find that someone will be here to help you get through. My pain family is very important to me and I love to be able to come here and offer some comfort or a laugh or just to listen when one of my peeps is in need. The app has been a Godsend to me and I have formed many really tight bonds with wonderful people. There are no judgements here. Know that if you have something you need to get off your chest or you have questions, are lonely, feeling like crap or want to celebrate, we are all here to be by your side. It's a safe forum to unburden yourself because we "get it" we live it. We're all here with many different diagnosis but have one commonality and that is chronic, irretractable pain. So, have a seat, settle in and enjoy the company. Sending gentle {{{Hugs}}} and prayers your way and I'm really glad to have you aboard!!🌻🙏🏻

Nov 21, 2015 12:46 PM

I was told to start a headachediary. And this one seemed best

Nov 21, 2015 4:03 PM

This one is really good. April, Alwayz is always right. :-) lol , but, seriously, if u can afford to get one of those daily schedule journal things, to go with this one, and be diligent with it, it may help pinpoint things for the Drs. If you don't mind my asking, can you describe your symptoms? So many of us have fibromyalgia and I got hit with chronic myofacial pain syndrome and MS as well as DDD and polyneuropathy.

Nov 21, 2015 4:41 PM

Cearea, that's too funny!! I don't think I'm always right but as far as medical stuff and being able to find and use tools to get the most out of a doctor visit, I'm usually pretty good. I want to try to make
It easier and less stressful for each person so that the appointment can go smoother and perhaps a patient can actually get a more accurate assessment and better pain relief. Thanks for the confidence in me, it really means a lot. {{{Hugs}}} 💕🙏🏻🌻😊

Nov 21, 2015 5:43 PM

Well alwayz, and everything you have ever written as far as advice has been spot on. I'm not bad myself, I hope I'm not, (after 29 yrs of dealing with the spine, and 23 yrs in school and doing research) but everyone has their specialty don't we?

Nov 21, 2015 6:04 PM

We sure do!!! 💕🙏🏻🌻🤗

Nov 21, 2015 6:05 PM

Hubby has no idea! :(

Nov 21, 2015 11:28 PM

April, Alwayz has a very good idea about the journal. The main area you are going to make the diagnosis is the trigger points so I would make sure that you study where the trigger point sites are. There will never be a test that will say you have Fibromyalgia because it is a diagnosis given when all other rheumatory disorders have been ruled out. It is better if a Rheumatologist makes this diagnosis then you can be sure you have been checked for other disorders that can make you feel similar. Many general practitioners and family doctors have not received enough training to make this diagnosis. They give out Fibromyalgia diagnosis like candy without doing a full history and test. I hope you find the answers you are looking for. By the way, I am not saying that general practitioners and family doctors can't give the diagnosis. You just have to watch how they go about giving you that answer. If they ask you how you feel and then say you have it. Then you can't really trust that. They should take a history, check for trigger points, run test for other rheumatory diseases, ect. If someone disagrees with me, I welcome there input. I am just telling you what I think you should be looking for before you get a diagnosis.

Nov 22, 2015 6:43 AM

This is exactly why im not ready to settle. I have been tested for Arthritis, raynauds, crest and lupus. The tests came back clear. I have suffered for many years with cold hands and feet.
Back in March 2015 i went to the doctor about a frequency to urinate i was treated for a bladder infection amonth later i returned to the doctor wirh the same issue, again treated for a bladder infection. Not long after that i returned to the dr he still suffering from lower back pain and abdominal pain. A cat scan was ordered and blood work for lupus. All showed clear. During this time my left arm and shoulder started to really act up massage and chiro gave a little relief. My knees and hands also started to ache in the months to come, shoulders and upper back, feet and ankles. My body cracks and snaps a lot too. Pins and needles in my hands aswell. This is what the dr is going on and how im sure he came to his diagnoses. Giving me aventyl or noratriptyline 10 mg and wants me to return in 6 weeks. Im heading to see a chiropractor Monday to see if she can see whats lacking in my body. Uuugggg.

Nov 22, 2015 6:59 AM

Im 42 active 5'4" 135 pounds mom and wife.

Nov 22, 2015 7:05 AM

I'm 50 and 5'4" also but over the years and having had my thyroid removed, 29 surgeries in 22 years, I've gained a lot of weight and have become obese. It doesn't help the situation with my left knee needing replacement because they can't do it unless I lost a lot of weight. It's hard but I've been working on it.💕🙏🏻🌻😊

Nov 22, 2015 7:06 AM

One day at a time!! Hugs

Nov 22, 2015 8:54 AM

Profiler made some good points. But trigger points are no longer necessary for the diagnosis (see my article about FMS). Now the diagnosis can be made more easily adding up unspecific symptoms that could be due to other problems as well with no clinical examination necessary. Personally, I don't think it was wise to exclude trigger points from the diagnosis. It's true that you need to see a rheumatologist to rule out inflammatory disorders. Apart from that, if you have chronic widespread pain that doesn't react to body position, motion or treatments like NSAIDs, active physiotherapy, it doesn't matter what you name it. Make sure you become you own expert about it. Find out what helps and what makes it worse, use a pain diary. You can try also mind-body therapies (relaxation, meditation, guided imagery, hypnosis), they work well for chronic pain.

Nov 23, 2015 10:43 PM

Went to see a chiropractor today and she wants to do 12 weeks of laser at $75 a visit. Uugggg. Not sure i can afford that so im sticking with meds from dr and see what happens.

Nov 23, 2015 10:49 PM

Well said and great advice, I couldn't agree more with what Alwayszinpain said. Welcome to our pain family aprilfool. So happy to have you. ☺

Nov 23, 2015 10:57 PM

Great information Dr. Marc Fouradoulas. Thank you. ☺

Nov 28, 2015 9:37 AM

Aprilfool, welcome to our community family! I've been on & PFD the site for two weeks and just trying to catch up on posts. I agree with everyone else's posts. I'm 54, 5'3", 190 lb and climbing. I worked until 2010 but due to surgical complications & piggy back medical problems I can no longer work. I started with fibro in 2007-2008, having morning stiffness and all over general achiness. I also had the classical trigger point pain. But my pcp did not dx until 2012 officially, as it worsened following my surgery. I get deep muscular pain all over. Then two years ago I started having cold hands and feet, weight gain and many other symptoms. I already had OA, so I went to see a rheumy doc. At the time all my labs only showed inflammation, but nothing specific. Then last year I developed an oral rash of tiny pin prick blister and white scales. A dentist and my PCP misdiagnosed. Someone saw my posted symptoms here and suggested Raynaud's & sjogrens, so I returned to the rheumy doc. She ran more labs then sent me to an ENT for a buccal biopsy. He only did three, but the rheumy doc said he should have done five locations. It was the worst pain after for three days, in my head, neck, ears, jaws, & teeth. But 2 weeks later at my follow up I was dx with Sjogrens, and after a baseline eye exam I was started on Plaquenil. It's made a world of difference in my pain levels. If I didn't have the stiffness and trigger point pain, I'd almost swear I don't have fibro; just because the Plaquenil has helped those symptoms too. I was also dx with hypothyroidism, and while researching I found out sjogrens, fibro, and hypothyroidism share many common symptoms. Do your research, do your journal, and ask questions. You are your best advocate. I use an app called Symptom-Tracker to list random, various symptoms and it helps. In the last 2 months my hands, knees, and feet joints have been swelling and painful. And my hands are like ice all the time, with pins & needles. My family were shocked at the color and coldness on thanksgiving. We live in GA and its mildly cold in the mornings, but you'd think I walked out of a freezer with my hands submerged in ice. I have an appt with my rheumy doc next week and plan to discuss this. Again welcome, good luck, hugs, & prayers for you!
🙏🌼

Ready to start relieving your pain?

Join Community