Learn from patients with pain similar to yours

CatchMyPain Community and Pain Diary App to manage chronic illness

New here

Oct 01, 2015 5:16 PM

Hi all just found out about this app.
So ive been in pain with my knees since i was a child now 30 years old. In october last year at work started getting pain in my knee.i just thought i had pulled it or something but after resting it etc went back to work and it got worse. To the exstent of having to have time off work and dure in the time off the pain spread to my shoulders back hands elbows etc. Have had mri xrays bloodtests all come back clear.
Having to go to pains team for exercise classes but feel it is not helping on gabapentine but still no better. Anyone taking or using any herbal remedies to help them.sorry to rant on just trying to find others that have simular problems to see if i can try your meds and ways you use things to help many thanks in advance for any help

Oct 01, 2015 5:55 PM

Tiger balm has always helped me some

Oct 01, 2015 6:18 PM

Essential oils help. And it's natural. It does cure or fix but helps relive slightly

Oct 01, 2015 8:05 PM

Thank you for the replies

Oct 01, 2015 8:42 PM

Well welcome, don't know any herbal remedies but just wanted to say never say sorry about ranting. We all rant when we're in pain

Oct 01, 2015 8:43 PM

First I just want to say welcome to the group! Rant and rave all you need to, believe it or not, it helps. :-) I haven't tried many supplements, but my heating pad is my best friend. I also like muscle rubs, like Max Freeze or Bengay. Sometimes even beating up a pillow helps.

Oct 02, 2015 1:27 AM

Man that's got to be frustrating having the pain spread like that on you! I've been hearing good things about turmeric maybe even in capsules that could help, but be careful with anything "natural" as well (meaning bring it up to your doctor or read about a natural alternative as much as you can) because some things can still be detrimental to your health/condition. Capsaicin cream derived from hot peppers (although feels very hot) does help when I have the worst pain spasms in my lower or upper back, but be careful using it on your hands! You don't want to accidentally touch sensitive areas or your eyes with that stuff! Cheapest to buy at Walmart. Use this pain app as a daily journal to describe your pain and mark which body parts are affected and keep taking it to your doctors! Show them you are logging your pain and where it hurts. Keep fighting.

Oct 02, 2015 6:24 AM

Thank you all so much its good to know we can talk to others in simular situations about things as trying to talk to family is hard as they just think its in your head.
Also had a meeting today for a course wellbalanced its called meet a woman there that suggested arnica oil hope thats the roght speeling sorry im teribble with that lol

Oct 02, 2015 7:26 AM

Welcome Ty, I'm sorry to hear the pain spread so quickly. If it's in the actual joints you should see a rheumatologist. It these pains are from an autoimmune disease, you will need more than herbal meds and ointments. I have Sjogrens, which caused severe pain and fatigue in my body. I also have hypothyroidism and fibromyalgia, both in the autoimmune class. When I started on the Plaquenil it even improved the muscle and deep tissue pain from fibro. I also have osteoarthritis, and was told by one med provider that it not only damages the bones but the cartilage as well, irreparable. And OA can't be put into remission like RA (rheumatoid arthritis).

But let's hope and pray you don't have an autoimmune issue. Try suggestions for OTC meds, rubs & herbal treatments. Start tracking your symptoms, activity, weather (humidity, rain or sun, temperatures), and note when something changes, better or worse. Did it improve our worsen after activity or treatment methods, and if so, how? Do this for a good 2-4 weeks and you'll have good track to take to a doctor if you need to.

Something I do is to use a rice filled (uncooked) knotted tube sock, placed in the freezer or microwave, depending whether I want hear or cold. It feels very good microwaved on my neck and hands and knees. Weezie sews up two washcloths filled with rice. Before I started using voltaren gel (rx), I was using Aspercreme or biofreeze ointments.

As for ranting, crying, or expressing joy, that's what we're all here for. Sometimes family, friends, & coworkers can be very judgemental and can't understand, not do they want to. We all understand here, because we walk in the same shoes! Good luck & I'll say a prayer for you! 🙏🌼

Oct 03, 2015 7:16 AM

Thanks flappy i have been told its fibro by my doctor but not by any speacilist yet but doing physio and starting a balaced life program also so see what happens as of physio it dont feel i do much there but after when i get home im exausted and in agony so guess still finding out how much can and cant do really

Oct 03, 2015 10:03 AM

Ty1985, exertion generally causes me fatigue to exhaustion. I had to take our 15 lb dog to the groomers yesterday & pick him up. Even though I twisted the least around my hand for better control, he nearly caused me to fail three times just pulling on the leash. I should mention I use a cane to help me with my imbalance, and my lifting weight limit is restricted over 10 lbs. By the time I got back home with him I literally collapsedi the chair. I told my hubby I can't take the dog anymore, he'll have to.

With fibro you will have to learn your limits and pace yourself, so you hopefully don't overdo it. Good luck with the physio! 🙏🌼

Oct 03, 2015 10:43 AM

ty1985, welcome to our community family. I am sorry that you have had to endure such pain for so long. I went for years being told my pain was unidentifiable. My MRI's, CT's, blood work all came back normal. I have since been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, CPRS/RSD, cervical spondalytic myelopathy, bilateral valgus deformities of the knees, scoliosis, SI Joint Disfunction with fractures and about 8 or more issues that cause pain. It's exhausting to say the least. I have to say, this group of wonderful people are a Godsend to me. You can come here at any time and there is always someone who will come to your aide. There are no judgements here. No matter your mood, pain levels or needs, we have all experienced it in one form or another. We are all here for different diagnosis but we all share the commonality of chronic, irretractable pain. I have been in pain with levels of 8 or higher and have had 28 surgeries. I hope you find a team of doctors (rheumy, neurologist, pain management, GP, that can help you find a diagnosis and help ease your pain. I am on Morphine among other meds. I also use supplements, heating pads, TENS Unit, etc. I wish you the very best of luck and hope that you find the support and information you need here with us.🙏🏻🌻

Oct 03, 2015 11:04 AM

Hello Ty1985, I'm fairly new here too, welcome :) tiger balm and a heating pad give me minor temporary relief for my back pain. I hope your doctor officially diagnosed your Fibromyalgia, the all over or widespread pain definitely makes me feel discouraged. You are young and I'm sorry you are going through this. Hopefully the doctors can get you on some regiment of pain meds or whatever it takes to give you back some quality of life. ✌️❤️

Oct 05, 2015 2:03 PM

Thank you all so much for your support and advice
I hope we can all find a better way and help we need to live better many thanks all you the best

Oct 05, 2015 2:25 PM

Hi and welcome, I find great solace in my TENs machine, took me a while to figure out the best pad placement and programme to use. I don't know if it could potentially ease some of your symptoms but kinda works for me, it's the only 'non drug' that I use.

Ready to start relieving your pain?

Join Community