Learn from patients with pain similar to yours

CatchMyPain Community and Pain Diary App to manage chronic illness

New job

Nov 20, 2016 6:07 PM

Tomorrow I start a new job. It will be a job that requires me to sit for long hours at a computer. It's a job I've done before and ended up in so much pain. I love the work I do, I'm just scared I'm not able to handle it because of fibro. I am going to try and remember to stretch often and move around as much as I can. Also will have to have my tens unit on so see if that helps. I'm scared of the pain but can't be without a job much longer financially.

Nov 20, 2016 10:22 PM

I was just talking to my Physical Therapist about something similar. She suggested to set a timer and at least every 15 or 30 minutes stretch. Even if it's simply rolling your head from side to side or teaching your arms up to stretch. When you feel the neck and shoulder muscles tightening she said it might look funny but to keep keep eyes focused ahead then move your chin out and back again. Often I dont realize how tight those muscles have become but this helps. (and it's free and it doesn't take up space - perfect exercise..)

Nov 20, 2016 10:34 PM

I wish you luck. I got fired from my job of 12 years because I took too much time off recovering from joint replacement surgery. I've been trying to freelance from home for the past 5 months but am having TONS of problems trying to learn new things because of the fibro fog and the depression. I'm on disability, but it's just not enough to live on. I have no idea how I'd be able to work a regular job again...I can't sit in a chair for more than an hour before I have to lie down. I have no idea what I'm going to do.

Power to you hon...sending good juju.

Nov 21, 2016 4:05 AM

Good luck with your new job.
Have you told them about your dx? They should be able to accommodate you, if you tell them that you need to stop every 15-30 minutes to stretch....stand up, march on the spot for a minute, stretch your arms and neck....then go straight back to work. They should be OK with that especially if it takes less than a few minutes each time. It might be beneficial if you're able to bring maybe a small heat pad or hot water bottle or a microwave wheatgerm bean bag so that if you feel your back or neck muscles tightening more than stretching would help the heat can help relax the muscles a little more.
Sorry I can't help more but I'm sure you'll find little things that will help make your job a little easier pain wise xx

Nov 21, 2016 4:56 AM

:) many years ago a physical therapist suggested I raise my arms up and clasp hands - the point my index finger up and sky write my name. That it would help stretch those muscles. I got this image of a group of people at work and every 30 minutes the supervisor would tell "Stop! Everyone reach for the sky and write!" Besides - my name is too long and my range of motion isn't. Melanie is my real name.

But on a more helpful note - another thing that helped me when I was working at home or helping with making appointments at the clinic was to have a small stool that I could put my feet on. There is one we used that shoveled up and down. It was great. It took pressure off the lower back and have you a way to move your feet instead of them always being on the ground.

(it Also let you pretend you were pumping a organ... Lol)

Ok I am getting those lack of sleep silliness so going to try that sleep thing.

Sweet dreams.

Nov 21, 2016 6:35 PM

I am overwhelmed by the love and support from everyone in this app. I appreciate all the tips and kind words. Truly makes me feel like I'm not alone. <3

Nov 21, 2016 10:22 PM

You have my prayers. I'm looking right now because I got denied again for ssd. I have fibro but my chronic migraines are the biggest problem. Keep us posted. If ever you need to vent, I'm here!

Ready to start relieving your pain?

Join Community