Learn from patients with pain similar to yours

CatchMyPain Community and Pain Diary App to manage chronic illness

New meds

Jun 06, 2017 11:34 PM

I went to see my NP today. She decided to change my prosac 40 mg to 60 mg cymbalta. What are your experiences with that? I've never taken it, but my sister said it gave her really bad nightmares. She also wrote me flexeril since my Robaxin and Zanaflex was not doing a thing. No pain meds right now, which is fine...if those meds help. I'm not quite sure how to ask for something for pain without her believing I'm just wanting pills. I just want a quality of life..my son is 19 months old and I can't do anything with him because of pain.

As of now I've got sciatica, stenosis, ddd, and bulging discs in my back. They've not tested my neck, which I'm sure is no better.

Jun 07, 2017 4:42 AM

I have not gotten any relief from flexiril and it must be one of those meds like neurontin...hit or miss...however, when I first started taking flexiril, it did make me quite sleepy...
It makes sense to me if you hurt, take pain pill..all these other drugs masks pain ( and thats what pain pills do too). Who cares what they think, they'll write what they will and give you what they think you need!
But honestly, best luck to you.

Jun 07, 2017 6:24 AM

I've taken cymbalta for years. I'm not sure if it helps. Maybe it does but I wouldn't really know unless I went off it. I've also taken flexeril for years. It does make you sleepy but if I take it with two aleve it helps a little. What they have given me for pain is tramadol. Taken with 2 aleve and a flexeril it seems to helps but again makes me sleepy. I have Fibro, bulging discs in back and neck, ddd, arthritis, chronic fatigue and scoliosis. It's hard to find what works. It's trial and error and nothing seems to take it all away it just takes the edge off. I feel for you having an 18 months old at home. They are soooo busy and need so much attention. God bless you and I hope you can find some relief. 🙏

Jun 07, 2017 9:09 AM

I really appreciate both of your responses!! I guess my worry about the pain pills is that I've been going to the doc for over ten years and nothing. Up until this year all I've heard is "you're too young." "You're just too big." "Blahnpahblah.

Jun 07, 2017 9:11 AM

It is going to take 3-4 weeks for the cymbalta to get into your system before you see any results. So be patient.

Jun 11, 2017 6:53 PM

I take flexeril 2-3 times a day, its a muscle relaxer so it works as more as a preventive thing for me. I took cymbalta for over 3 years, it barely did anything for me. In the end i stopped taking it because the side effects were more than the meds werd helping.

Ready to start relieving your pain?

Join Community