Learn from patients with pain similar to yours

CatchMyPain Community and Pain Diary App to manage chronic illness

New to fibromyalgia

Jan 05, 2017 3:47 PM

Hi everyone I was just diagnosed with fibromyalgia yesterday not sure how to take it any one else have this and have any advice

Jan 05, 2017 4:33 PM

Welcome, lots of great advice and super awesome people on this app. It's tricky treating any pain since we are all different.

I have nerve pain from a lower back emerg surgery over 7 years ago .... I would say at least the past 3 years symptoms of fibromyalgia.

I have tried the standard meds without much success ... I pace my activities, try not to overdue it.
I have found eliminating gluten helpful and has lessen my pain. I love my heating pad.

Take care.

Jan 05, 2017 4:39 PM

Thank you and so glad to meet you in have been having pain in my shoulders the worst but have pain all over my body is not as bad I had injured my back in 2004 and have been dealing with lower back pain 2 flattened disc and sciatica so the fibromyalgia is new to me was just diagnosed yesterday with it I hope that you don't have to much pain and I will definitely work at not overdue activities

Jan 05, 2017 6:25 PM

Am so sorry you.are dealing with this. I have had fibro (also known as FMS) for most of my life. My doctors feel that it started when I was 12. I am now 57. (how in the world did I get to be so old. Lol. )

One of the things that really helped me were books by Devin Starlanyl.. Devin was an ER doctor who found herself living with this. She did a lot of research on it yet her books are written where everyone can understand them.. Back then they were known as the fibromyalgia bible.

Here is a list of her books.

https://www.amazon.com/Devin-J.-Starlanyl/e/B000APAAKU

The Fibromyalgia Advocate and the Fibromyalgia and myocardial pain Syndrome: A Survivors Manual were the two I often referred to. I haven't read her book on trigger points but it's on my list of books to read.

There are many others since those early days that have written books. I do think, for me, that being with a group of people who can understand what I am going through has been the best help though. With such a group you can share what works, discover new treatments etc. While what works for one doesn't always work for another it does give you ideas on things to try. Its pretty much trial and error on finding what will work best for you.

Water aroebics really helped me when I lived where I could get to a heated pool.

Physical therapy has also helped.

Don't be afraid to ask questions.. Or share ideas. We are all on this journey together.

Jan 05, 2017 6:52 PM

Welcome newbiefibro to the community. Some of us have fibro. Heat helps a lot of us. If you take a hot bath with Epsom salt. &eating pads or even electric blanket. > am on Lyrica. Not everyone is helped by meds. I went gluten free. It cut my pain level in half.

Jan 06, 2017 4:47 AM

Hi 😀 I always have a hot water bottle when home and a long cushion in bed to support me. Heat definitely seems to help soothe. I also have a gluten free diet as I'm intolerant but when I sway I can really feel the pain levels rise. I were diagnosed last year, the worst is my shoulders, lower back and knees. Tummy is also a huge issue with ibs. I take naproxen for my back and tried 4 different Ines for general pain to discover even more issues with side affects. I'm still on the search too x thankyou mimiKay for the book ref, I will order that in U.K. ASAP x

Jan 06, 2017 12:50 PM

Welcome Newbifibro! I've been dealing with fibro since 2007. Had to come to grips with it, grieve my old lifestyle which is now gone, learn to modify activities I can still do, pace activities with rest, and decide not to let it defeat me. I have reduced bad carbs & sugar which seems to be helping. I've also added vitamins D3 & magnesium supplements. Sending you hugs love & prayers as you find your best ways of coping! 🙂💕🙏🌸

Jan 08, 2017 1:18 PM

Having garage I sleeve done this month for the outrageous weight gain

Ready to start relieving your pain?

Join Community