Learn from patients with pain similar to yours

CatchMyPain Community and Pain Diary App to manage chronic illness

New to this?

Jan 06, 2017 10:51 PM

I'm not really sure what to put here. I just downloaded this app today and am trying to figure things out. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia today. I'm only seventeen years old, and I have no idea how to handle any of this.

Jan 06, 2017 11:08 PM

Artemister
Am so sorry you were given this diagnosis. It's a lot to take in. The best thing you can do is learn all you can and become your own advocate. My doctors believe I have had this since I was 12. They called it growing pains. Cept I still have them yet I quit growing when I reached 5'4. I am 57 years old now so should be at least 10 feet tall. Lol.

We have a few people here that are closer to your age and can possibly give you some info on what has helped them. The thing about our group here though is that we are from all different ages and from all over the world and yet we all get along. We share ideas, talk of things that did (or didnt) work and share laughs, joys, sorrows and years together. We all understand the struggles of living with Chronic Pain so if you have questions don't hesitate to ask. If you find something that helps don't hesitate to share. We are FMily.

Jan 06, 2017 11:09 PM

If you do a search on different subjects you will often find info that has been shared before. If you can't find it mentioned before don't hesitate to bring it up. We do our best to try and help each other.

Jan 06, 2017 11:42 PM

Hi. New to this community and App. 55 years old. Diagnosed at 54, but looking back I am sure I have been dealing with this for 5 or 6 years now. Started out mild, coming in cycles. Now is pretty much all of the time, probably due to the stress I am enduring. I like the idea of a family of folks who understand.

Jan 07, 2017 2:19 AM

Artemister.. first of all welcome.. I'm sorry to hear you are going through this so young.. i am 26 and have a lot of back issues.. you will find a lot of people on here with fibro and we'll answer any question you may have.. there is no such thing as a stupid question on here. Everyone is very nice and open.. you can also private message people if you would like.. we're all here to support each other

Jan 07, 2017 8:07 AM

I've had health issues for a long time. I also have hypothyroidism, kyphosis, lordosis, bipolar disorder, ADHD, Scoliosis, and a plethora of other mental issues. And I don't know, this one just seems so hard to deal with because they won't put me on medication. What works? What doesn't? Meditation? Diet? CBD oil? I just have so many questions. Thank you all, though.

Jan 07, 2017 9:43 AM

artemister, welcome to the community. I am so sorry you've been diagnosed at such a young age and have to live with pain. The only thing I can tell you is to take thinks one step at a time. You will go through all the stages of grief. (Anger, sadness, denial, etc). Know that this is all normal. You need to listen to your body, take breaks when you need to and adjust to your "new normal". Since you just got diagnosed you need to take the time to breathe and absorb the news and process how you will go from here. There is an entire community of wonderful people here to help you and if you search the older threads. You will find a plethora of information that may be very helpful to you. Sending you well wishes, positive vibes and good karma. Try to keep a positive attitude, it really helps when things are rough. 🤗💕

Jan 07, 2017 9:55 AM

Nanna - welcome to the group as well. ((( gentle hugs )))

Jan 07, 2017 10:09 AM

There are some things you might try. Water Aroebics is one that many have found useful as it allows you to exercise the muscles and joints without putting extra pressure on them.
Some have found massage helpful. Just make sure you find one who is familiar with your condition.
Accupuncture and dry needling are other things that have been known to help.
Physical therapy has helped me. My therapist gave me exercises to do at home. They give you exercises tailored specifically for you. If you choose this route make sure the therapist is not only familiar with your illnesses but also one that works with all the body mechanics instead of just whats hurting at this time.

Am sure you can find others here who have info that helps.

In another post I had mentioned that when I was finally diagnosed I found the different books by Devin Starlanyl to be of tremendous help. She was an ER doctor who developed Fibro. So she knew first hand the struggles so many were facing. Her books are also written in terms that were easily read and understood.

I know there are other authors who have written excellent books on this but Devin has always been my go to.

Jan 07, 2017 11:30 AM

Welcome Nanna. Here for any questions. I'm 60 & have had chronic depression, TMJS, chronic fatigue & pain since I was 23. Undiagnosed with fibro until after my son was born at 35 (my age). Was of course labeled "crazy" because they did not know what was causing my symptoms. Finally a diagnosis & an understanding Doctor. He pretty much let's me do the research & direct my care. I just recently gave him The Fibro Manual because it's a guide for doctors as well as the as people with fibro. Has an "evidence based" "researched" treatment guide that is short & to the point for busy health care providers. I have not read Devin Starland books but you can bet I'll be reading them too. We need all the support available 🤓

Jan 07, 2017 11:33 AM

Mimikay you are a fountain of info. Thank you so much.🤓

Jan 07, 2017 12:53 PM

Thank you so much everyone. I will be ordering the books for sure. I'm learning already.

Ready to start relieving your pain?

Join Community