Learn from patients with pain similar to yours

CatchMyPain Community and Pain Diary App to manage chronic illness

Newly diagnosed with fibromyalgia

Mar 20, 2019 2:49 PM

I've just recently been diagnosed with fibromyalgia, I just wondered whether anyone has any tips or advice for me on what to do with myself now? I'm not sure how to manage my pain or fatigue.

Mar 20, 2019 10:52 PM

It's not easy but use the Support from all you can. We have good days and bad days. Just hang in there.

Mar 21, 2019 12:46 AM

I have CRPS its similar to fibro here are my tips:
1) look up the anti inflammatory diet see what foods you can eliminate out of your diet
2) NO ICE!!! That’s the worse possible thing to use heat works great I like epson salt soaks
3) take notes on what distractions work and don’t work this will also help you
4) learn to advocate doctors don’t always listen
5) ignore people who say your faking you will come across many people and you know your own body
6) do not become bed bound you need to keep active it hurts but if your not then you will get much worse
7) work as hard as you can at pt and see what excercise you can do at home to help you
8) stay positive we all need positivity in order to keep fighting
9) don’t be afraid to ask for help but know when you need to do things on your own
10) vent on here as much as you want/ need and talk to us. Some of us are older and others are children we all fight this battle together!

I hope these help you! Sending love and prayers your way ❤️🙏🌸

Mar 21, 2019 7:29 AM

Welcome to the community Leah. I'm sorry you have fibro. Heat helps some people. Soak in tub in warm water and 1-2 cups Epsom salt. Use heating pad or electric blanket. Ice does help some people more than heat. Magnesium helps some people. TENS unit helps some people. Look at old posts about fibro for more ideas. Hope this helps.

Mar 25, 2019 11:23 AM

Welcome to our community Leah! I'm sorry to hear you have fibro. I've been dealing with it since 2007-2008. Besides what others have already suggested, if say learning to listen to your body signals is important. As time progresses you will learn to identify when you are having a flare up of symptoms and when it's coming down, though some seen to suffer 24-7-365. Try to stay limber with gentle stretches or even yoga (I'm unable to do those moves). Eat a well balanced diet, preferably low/no sugar and anti-inflammatory eating. Rest when your body says it needs to. Pace your activities, resting as frequently between as needed, and moving as fast or slow as your body needs. Learn to say no to others, while also explaining what's going on (ask for a "raincheck" when possible). Focus on activities that help you relax whenever you are hurting or feel tense (read, color, crafts/hobbies, walking outdoors, etc). Many older posts (2+ yr) have detailed suggestions. And anytime you need support or just need to vent your frustrations, we are here for you. Hugs love & prayers as you find your way through trials & errors in ways to best cope with your fibro! 🙂❤🙏🌼

Mar 26, 2019 9:43 PM

The one thing I hate the most is doctors telling me to exercise because I’ll feel better. They don’t understand how bad it hurts to exercise. But. . .
I have found slow walks in the park, yoga, and exercise in the pool aren’t too bad. Best wishes!

Apr 15, 2019 8:08 PM

I completely understand.. Because of limitations, my goal is at least 7000 a day or more.

Apr 17, 2019 11:20 AM

I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia a week back, suffering for past 8 years. For being a male i was always given other diagnoses and finally settled at FM . Unaware of diagnosis, I started cycling for past two weeks and i felt some relief in paon and morning stiffness. God... The morning stiffness is horrible, its the worst way to start a day...!! I started Pregabalin low dose. , feeling very drowsy. I am yet to look up anti inflammatory diet. Thank you all.

Apr 18, 2019 10:57 AM

I'm in agreement with you all on the morning stiffness. Years ago I caught my grandfather doing slow easy stretches in bed one morning and asked why. He told me it was to help him be able to move and get out of bed...I understand completely now! Traditional exercises are out for me but I ride a recumbent bike and do gentle stretching, light handweights & stretch bands when I can.

Ready to start relieving your pain?

Join Community