Learn from patients with pain similar to yours

CatchMyPain Community and Pain Diary App to manage chronic illness

Pain meds

Apr 16, 2016 11:36 AM

I am going to speak with my gp about my pain meds as at the moment I am on co-codamol 8mgs 4 times a day and 30mgs of Codeine at night and it is not really working as I get a lot of break through pain. Can anyone suggest any painkillers or a combination of them that has worked for them. I appreciate that what might work for someone may not suit me, I am in the UK, and some American meds are not available here. Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.

Apr 16, 2016 4:08 PM

I hope you get some relief. My GP will not prescribe narcotics at ALL. She says Motrin or Tylenol and BioFeedback. (You should see me rolling my eyes and shaking my head.)
This is really sad, but my dog was prescribed Tramadol awhile back for some pain she had, and one night I was desperate so took one... it seemed to help. Could have been my imagination, but at least I made it through the night without crying. I'm fortunate to have had the last 2 weeks with less pain than usual, but of course we know that never lasts...
So I hope you get GOOD relief that doesn't cause any problems for you as far as dependency or finances.

Apr 16, 2016 4:28 PM

Sunshine & Grandmad , I take Lyrica, naproxen, Amitryptilene & Paroxitene sometimes ibuprofen or xstrength acetaminophen for my pain. My doctor will not subscribe anything stronger. He says they don't work for nerve pain. I would love for the man to go through a day & night of what I go through. He would change his mind, I think.
Sunshineamy, although I get to stand up for a bit longer because I take these meds they do not help the vicious nerve pain. Apparently the antidepressants are to make daily life of terrible pain happier!!
After17 years of this I long for some relief. I could be kinder about my doc, but I didn't sleep last night, so kindness has flown.

Apr 16, 2016 4:51 PM

I use a low dose of perocette. I don't take as much as I'm actually prescribed and it seems to take the edge off enough for me to function for a few hours anyway.

Apr 16, 2016 10:48 PM

For burning pain Neurontin might be helpful.

Apr 17, 2016 4:04 PM

For Bone pain I just weaned off Dilaudid. I got some sleep I haven't had in years. They are very addictive and the withdraws are mean! For every one pill it took 4 days of withdraws. Also had to take zofran to keep from vomiting. I am now taking 400mg of Advil to take the edge off and doing my home PT. GOOD Luck

Apr 17, 2016 5:22 PM

Everyone seems to be different and it is finding what works for you and what works for your issues. I have multiple spine issues, fibromyalgia, chronic pain syndrome and so on. I have been through NSAIDS, tramadol, multiple anti depressants, oxycodone and none of it touched my pain at all.

Apr 17, 2016 5:38 PM

👍😎

Apr 17, 2016 8:06 PM

I'm on the merry go round too for multilevel thoracic fractures and damaged discs. I have tried Lyrica no effect, anti inflammatory no effect, Tramadol is ok but I'm at the max dose and doesn't get me through my work day. Good luck 😁

Apr 18, 2016 3:58 PM

Thanks everyone, I will speak to the gp about maybe having something stronger like tramadol for when I have a flare up. I worry about taking anti inflammatories as I have gastric issues already.

Apr 19, 2016 5:06 PM

Wow! As I read thru these I am super grateful I found this place! I am going thru a LOT of the same issues as a lot of you! I know opiates are addictive, but since they are the only thing out of all the meds I've been on in 14 years why can't I decide if the risk is better than constant pain?! Why should I be miserable?! Isn't it my choice if nothing else works. My sympathies to any one going thru problems!

Ready to start relieving your pain?

Join Community