Learn from patients with pain similar to yours

CatchMyPain Community and Pain Diary App to manage chronic illness

Pain meds

Nov 03, 2016 5:41 PM

I'm on Baclofen and Hydrocodone, and it seems to be effective for a couple of hours and then my pain creeps back. The baclofen is new but I have been taking hydrocodone for a few years now. They will not up my dosage of hydrocodone. I can have two and a half pills per day only. This is the 10mg pill. Is there anything stronger that I should ask for? When I first started taking the hydrocodone, I could take half a pill at a time and it helped for hours. Now a whole pill and a baclofen on top of it works for maybe 2 hours. Help?

Nov 04, 2016 2:34 AM

Tealynn, I'm not surprised that your meds are not working as well as they did. After a while we all build up tolerance to what we are taking. I've been going to pain management for years and there have been times where they put me on a "drug holiday" and change out one for another. Then, when I go back to the first medication, it works again for a bit and a little bit better. I haven't done it in years and am already on so much there really isn't anything else they can change me to that would make it better (at least I don't think so at this point). Speak to your doctor honestly and let him/her know that you are not getting the relief you were before and you'd like to either try something else or add something to the mix. The liklihood is that they would try you on another medication. I send well wishes your way, gentle {{{Hugs}}}, positive vibes and good karma. Keep us posted as to what happens at your next visit. Good luck 💕😊

Nov 04, 2016 2:57 AM

This will happen with all drugs you take, your body will get used to the dosage and require more....That's why Chronic Pain is so difficult because it's continuous and so we may always have a problem of 'this drug isn't working' because it's not like an acute pain. I have breaks from my medication so it can be effective rather than having to seek stronger and stronger doses.....most of the time I just have the pain..

Nov 04, 2016 3:10 AM

Hey JAHMAC, how are things going in your neck of the woods?? I know it's like 8:00am there or something like that?? I've been up all night yet again after a shit day yesterday and a short nap in the afternoon. (I also walked 3 miles so my legs are sore and my back is killing me). It is what it is.. today is a new day. Hope yours is awesome!!! {{{hugs}}}💕😊

Nov 04, 2016 2:55 PM

Thank you for your replies. It makes me feel less alone to hear from you. Sometimes my pain makes me feel so alone and so lost.

Nov 05, 2016 6:56 AM

Sorry Alwayz, didn't see this- Things are going ok over here, working hard at spine rehab still, concentrating on strengthening my arms still for driving, so lots going on with that 😊❤️

Nov 05, 2016 8:29 AM

No worries JAHMAC, the time difference between makes it easy to miss stuff. I should have just sent you a PM. Glad you're doing what you're doing and I'm so excited for you to be driving!!! FREEDOM at last!! 💕😊🤗

Nov 06, 2016 6:43 PM

Tealynn, I've not been on Baclofen long myself. The only thing I know it's doing for me is making me have worse imbalance. I've had to cut back on the dose for my own safety, to walk without swaying and staggering. Sometimes it takes trial and error to find the best treatment, and each of us are different. I hope you're doctors will be able to find the right treatment for you. Hugs love and prayers! 🙂💕🙏🌸

Nov 07, 2016 5:21 AM

Tealynn see if your pain Dr will consider a longer acting medication such as MS Contin 15mg twice daily. You likely won't need nearly as much hydrcodone.

Nov 07, 2016 3:32 PM

Thanks. Currently they are requesting authorization from my insurance company for a pain pump. I'm a little concerned though as the med I believe it will give is Baclofen and since I have been taking the baclofen oral pill I have been waking up gasping for air. I'm terrified that one of these times I will go to sleep and never wake up again.

Ready to start relieving your pain?

Join Community