Learn from patients with pain similar to yours

CatchMyPain Community and Pain Diary App to manage chronic illness

Pain relief

Oct 16, 2016 9:02 AM

Hi, I have Fibromyalgia and I have been prescribed various doses of Amtrypilene, nefopan, gabapentin and tramadol and so far nothing has taken all the pain away or has made me feel worse due to severe headaches, worsening fatigue etc. Has anyone else had this problem that nothing seems to work? 💐

Oct 16, 2016 9:05 AM

I have these same problems. I am on gabapentin as well (2)300 mg 3 times a day. It doesn't help me tremendously either

Oct 16, 2016 9:06 AM

They still can't figure out what's causing my pain :(

Oct 16, 2016 9:13 AM

Ahhh the list of side effects to feel better ... Tramodal just takes the edge off for me. Gabapentin was so not my friend ... stopped that one fast. And amteypilene still makes me tired. I use heat, bath and pacing ... I also eat alot of antiinflammatories spices ... Delicious and helpful. It seems that there is no magic go away ... pill available but lots of proactive things to help ease the flare ups..I have been trying some of the others members suggestions, essential oil and breathing. Check out some threads and there will be some other suggestions worth trying. I'm sorry for your struggle with the meds. Hope you get some relief today.

Oct 16, 2016 10:22 AM

I was prescribed lyrica for my migraines and when they took me off my pain meds they maxed out my dosage to help with my pain. My migraines are better but I'm still in pain daily but it is better. I don't think 💭 you will ever be able to make all the pain go away. But You can make it tolerable.
But to be honest I don't know 🤔 what is killing me faster, the pain pills I used to be on, or all the excedrin and Motrin I'm on now. What I'm trying to say is there are no easy answers when it comes to fibromyalgia. Accepting the role pain is going to play in the rest of your life is the best first step. I hope you get to feeling better soon. (Hugs)

Oct 16, 2016 10:36 AM

Thank you all for your comments xx

Nov 16, 2016 5:58 AM

Hi im also a Fibro worrior 😊, im guessing meds are different in each country. Im on endep for migraines and to help me relax enough to get some sleep, that doesnt always work lol. Im also on Lyrica twice a day as it only lasts 12 hours, im just starting to take the second tablet, it has helped a lot but as soon as i get stressed out im in a full blown flair up 😢, for me the burning on my back and legs and arms are the worst pain i can imagine. Ive been told magnesium tablets help a lot of ppl with fibro but as yet i haven't tried them

Nov 16, 2016 2:44 PM

I have have many different drugs and so far nothing much has worked for me. I'm currently back on lyrica, Nortriptaline and co-codamol. I've been told by my GP that it is trial and error for each individual sufferer.
I'm currently going through exactly the same as you. Try to keep your chin up 😊 x

Nov 16, 2016 3:30 PM

Jojo262, I've been fighting fibro since 2007, along with a long list of other chronic pain causing illnesses for decades. Fibro is the one that causes constant pain day & night, regardless of any and all meds I may take (gabapentin, muscle relaxers, tramadol, etc). There is always constant pain. I'm not saying this to discourage you. Ctsego is right in saying that accepting pain's role in our lives is an important step. It's also important to allow yourself to grieve the loss of the old healthy life, the things you could do before that are either modified or absent now. It's also important to try new ways to help you cope better, and there are many suggestions in this community. For instance there is proof that high sugar intake can cause worse inflammation in the body. And we know inflammation plays a key role in many illnesses, as does processed food. Gentle stretches and exercises are helpful in reducing inflammation, and beneficial both mentally and physically. Many here find yoga and/or deep relaxation helpful also. Epsom salt soaks are helpful for muscle pain. I've found magnesium, vitamin D, and B12 supplements helpful (after hearing so many others success). I do many of the other suggestions too. Exercising is based on each day, but it's always a slow and steady activity for me. I'm never out of pain but I have and will continue to try ways to make my days more bearable. Sending you hugs, love, & prayers that with time you too will find ways to cope better with your pain! 🙂💕🙏🌸

Nov 16, 2016 4:23 PM

Hi I don't have fibromialga myself but I do have trigeminal neuralgia and waiting for a diagnosis of PTSD (I do suffer other symptoms but as of yet not been tested for anything else ).
For my TN I've tried all the normal nerve pain meds...pregabline, carbamezapine, gabapentine and oxycarbamezapine and none of them worked, in fact they made me worse! The only meds that take the edge of the pain is a combination of amitriptyline and morphine mst....like I said they take the edge I don't think they'll ever find something to take the pain away completely.
Other than the meds I also try to have a bath with Epsom Salts 2-3 times a week as it helps relax me, I have a tens machine to place around my shoulders and neck (where I tense with the TN pain it has caused a lot of pain in my neck and shoulders with pins and needles in my left finger tips). I also have an electric diffuser which I put a few drops of lavender essential oil with the water at night to relax me and I try to use a fair amount of anti inflammatory spices in my cooking or make teas with them (it's an aquired taste!).
I also have a wheatgerm beanbag that can be heated in the microwave to place on tired aching muscles or just to warm me up (I get very cold if I'm in a lot of pain).
I'm currently looking in to CBD oil as I've heard a lot of members on here talk about it but it's a little pricey for me to spend on myself so I'll probably save a little for a few weeks to get it.

Unfortunately as others have said it is a game of trial and error to find what helps and what doesn't but you won't find all the answers in just meds you've got to try different things to see what helps and what you like.
I hope you find some relief soon xx

Ready to start relieving your pain?

Join Community