Hello pain family,
I'm sorry I went inactive again (for 8 days) I had my surgery on Monday 3rd April and there were a lot of complications.... i'll list them and explain because I'm tired and that's easier. By the way it was wisdom tooth extraction (due to constant infection)
1) They had to take a very large amount of my jaw bone out as well
2) The drill that they used malfunctioned and kept overheating. I have full thickness (3rd degree) burns all over my mouth
3) I have incredibly severe swelling - my face is the size of a small melon. I'm on Naproxen 500mg BD (2x a day) to try to reduce it
4) I can't even open my mouth 2.5 cm (an inch). I can open it about 1-1.5cm (1/2 an inch)
5) I have a very severe infection that they are worried will spread - I am on 2 strong antibiotics to try to fight it. The antibiotics are Co-amoxiclav 500/125mg TDS (3x a day) and Metronidazole 400mg TDS (3x a day). I'm also rinsing with very salty water 4-6 times a day and corsadyl mouthwash 2 times a day.
6) I can't eat anything so I'm having to try my best to drink Complans, ensures, fruit juices etc. And take vitamins
7) One of the incision sites is hypertrophic and I'm concerned that the gap between it and the teeth will harbour and cause infections.
The surgery was supposed to take 45 minutes..... It was over 4 hours! I woke up with no painkillers left in my system and on my back (I can't be on my back without painkillers bc of my allodynia). I was in 10/10 pain with my back and 9/10 pain with my face after a few minutes they gave me 20mg oral morphine then 5 minutes later they gave me a further 60mg if codeine and I was still in a lit of pain but I could cope.
Then, the anaesthetic finished wearing off and the surgeons came round and explained everything and took another look. They then discharged me to home with paracetamol (acetaminophen) and Co-amoxiclav 500/125 but no painkillers!
I woke up the next morning in excruciating pain and with a melon for a face so I had to ring my GP (I think the closest to it in America is a PCP or family doctor), they prescribed the Naproxen (and some omeprazole to protect my stomach) and said "see how that goes and call back tomorrow if you need more". So I had to cry my way through that day... I woke up the next day still in excruciating pain and rung the GP again, they prescribed 5mg of liquid morphine up to a max of 4 times a day. So I took it 4 times a day and it still didn't control the pain but I tried to just bear it for a couple days but no.... I had to ring the GP again... They doubled the dose to 5mg every 8 times a day (they did that instead of doubling the dose and keeping it 4 times a day because I'm struggling to swallow). So I've been on that dose for a couple of days but I've not got many days of the morphine left and I'm worried because I don't know if they'll give me more and of they do if they'll keep it at this dose.
I'm really sorry that this way so long I'mjust desperate and wanted to give you all the information
Anyway, any advice any of you have would be appreciated because all I'm able to do is sleep.