Learn from patients with pain similar to yours

CatchMyPain Community and Pain Diary App to manage chronic illness

Question for those in US on disability

Feb 24, 2017 11:57 AM

Ok. As many of you know I was in a car accident back in August. Hit and run driver ran into me. Ugh. So this month my insurance paid the last of my bills and sent me a settlement for pain and suffering. The last thing on my mind was asking for ain and suffering. I guess when you have lived all but 12 years of your life in pain you just don't think about being compensated.

Anywho. I have tried to find out how that affects my disability and Medicare. Of course I have talked to Medicare as has my car insurance so am pretty sure that's taken care of. My car insurance reimbursed them for anything that was related to my accident that they paid for. But do I need to report the settlement to social security disability? And if so do I have to go in person to report it or can I send them the documents etc.

Or does anyone know a website where I can find that info?

Usually I am good at figuring this stuff out but the last several weeks have really messed up that fibro fog.

Feb 24, 2017 12:14 PM

No you don't have to report to social security but you have to report as income on taxes. I talked to social security experts who told me bill Gates is eligible for social security disability.

Feb 24, 2017 12:55 PM

Well technically anyone who has worked would be eligible should they become disabled, right?

I know I can work part time but there's a limit to how much I can make each year. And when my disability was approved I couldn't it the back pay into savings but had a certain amount of time to spend it down and it has to be accounted for. I had to keep.a detailed list of where it was spent and keep receipts. I never understood that. Wanted to put it into college savings for my children but back then even that wasn't allowed. Made no sense to me. (OK. Sorry - got on a tangent... That was back in 1999)

But that is why I was wondering if it needs to be reported. I won't have to file taxes I don't think because it's under the 3500.00 limit. I will check on it though.


Feb 24, 2017 1:27 PM

I got 2 years of back pay in 1994 and they didn't say anything about how I spent it or saved it. Maybe things have changed. I wouldn't be surprised.

Feb 24, 2017 3:30 PM

Could be. Mine was in 1999 and they were very meticulous on what I could or couldn't do - which made no sense. Looking back I should have talked to experts regarding it. I was a single mom, not used to fighting battles for me and didn't have Google (much less the internet) back then to find someone to guide me through it all.

Feb 28, 2017 11:51 AM

As far as i know it only counts against your disability if it's earned income, a settlement for pain is not income you earned working, for awhile when i was first on ssdi i also received disability payments from workmens comp and i didn't have to claim those.

Jul 08, 2017 10:32 PM

I would play it safe and contact Social Security. Better safe then sorry.🌸

Jul 09, 2017 5:11 PM

No I don't think you have to report that money . But than again uncle sam wants all the money . Good Luck . Hope you are okay . 🤗🤗

Ready to start relieving your pain?

Join Community